PDA

View Full Version : Maier belly skidplate

stvemerz
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
I justed wanted to let everyone know...I installed this new item to me last night...It is ok...I can tell that it will provide limited protection...but nothing to save the bottom from rock bashing...I like it for what I need it for but for those that pound the rocks pretty hard..stay away from it...It is a well made product...but just does not offer the hardcore protection needed...

gbcap
01-23-2007, 12:56 PM
it would be great for a dune bike...but not a xc or mx bike i believe

xc would punch straight thru it. and mx i bottom out alot on the big jumps, so i would think i would wear straight thru it!

i saw one once. it looks very nice, but doesn't look like it would provide any lasting protection with rough use.

01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
My stock plastic engine skid held goo and i walways bottomed and drug bottom in woops. Plastic skid plates let you slide over obsticles easier. Plastic skids are pritty strong.

stvemerz
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
It is nice to hear that the plastic skids help you slide over the obstacles...Thats what I was hoping and going for...many have told me that the metal/ aluminum skids hang-up on rocks...but I'm sure they can take a lot more abuse than the plastic ones...but one never knows...It was however a quick and neat install...super simple...Also keeps weight down to nothing...

j450rking
01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
you can wax them to so thay slide even better

Colby@C&DRacing
01-24-2007, 08:46 AM
we put the maier skid on the wifes 06 450er and race xc and it is working well yes there are some marks in it but still working great.

stvemerz
01-24-2007, 08:58 AM
It is good to hear that this product works well and holds up to providing protection...I was wondering..the stock plastic swing arm skid seems pretty strong as well...has anyone had any bad luck with that unit..My prior quad I ran all DG skids, swingarm and belly skid...On this 400ex..i decided to try the plastic setup...my dealer told me they are pretty stout units...and trust me, I'm no hard core rider, in which I will test the limits of this machine...just curious...same principals apply...slides over stuff as long as it is not a direct smack to the unit on a boulder...Then I could see is splitting apart in a million pieces...any thoughts..

Colby@C&DRacing
01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
I left the plastic swingarm skid on hers also it is starting to crack back by the carrier I will more than likely replace it with the PRM .190 skid for more added ground clearance and durability.