PDA

View Full Version : Hygear Suspension ???

250RGUY
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Has anyone ever had their shocks redone by this company? They are in Ithica NY. I have Works Triple rates w/rezi's and a stock rear shock rebuilt and set up for XC. I am botteming them out because I weigh 40 lbs more than the guy they were set up for. Higearsuspension.com shows pricing of 75 or 85 bucks for the rear shock rebuild and doesn't show a price for the fronts but he quoted me about $30 each for springs and $40 for the rezi's. I've never had to have shocks redone before so do these seem like fair prices? Would you replace Works springs with "Twisted Springs"? Does anyone know of anyplace closer or better that can do this work for me? Thanks...

Oh yeah, Do you think that all I need is new springs? I can put springs on myself if thats all I need. When you bump the shocks up from 185 lb rider to a 215+lb rider what all do you need to do?

400exrider707
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
To have the shocks properly set up you will need to put stiffer springs on as well as have the shocks revalved for your weight and riding style. IMO I would just send the shocks to a reputable shock builder. It is definitely going to cost more, but is much more worth it. The prices you listed are definitely not going to include the price of new springs, that is probably just a simple wham bam rebuild, nothing special, and probably wont feel so special while your riding.

Personally, being from NY as well, I called around to quite a few shops to get mine rebuilt. I ended up sending them right to C&D the website sponsor on here, and got them back pretty dang quick. The shock worked phenominally after that.

250RGUY
01-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks....He told me new springs would be $30 per spring. I was hoping Hygear was a reputable shock rebuilder, thats why I'm asking if anyone has used them. Thanks for the reply, atleast now I know I cant just buy stiffer springs.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by 250RGUY
Thanks....He told me new springs would be $30 per spring. I was hoping Hygear was a reputable shock rebuilder, thats why I'm asking if anyone has used them. Thanks for the reply, atleast now I know I cant just buy stiffer springs.

Well you can buy just stiffer springs, but that wont be a correct setup. If that is all they are planning on doing then I wouldn't bother. If you tell them this and then they say well we can valve them for you too, then walk away, they should have been doing that from the beginning.

$30 for a spring? Seems way too cheap. I dont know, something sounds fishy.

250RGUY
01-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Well, he said that they would need new springs at 30 per spring, the rezi's would cost 40 per and he would get a works kit for like 10 bucks. The rear shock costs 75 bucks to be set up. I have never had this done. I dont know what needs done. I have no clue what I should expect to pay. My honda dealer reffered me to this guy. Is there any other place in PA or a nearby state where I can get these things set up? C&D's website is jacked up.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Well, he said that they would need new springs at 30 per spring, the rezi's would cost 40 per and he would get a works kit for like 10 bucks. The rear shock costs 75 bucks to be set up. I have never had this done. I dont know what needs done. I have no clue what I should expect to pay. My honda dealer reffered me to this guy. Is there any other place in PA or a nearby state where I can get these things set up? C&D's website is jacked up.

Either call C&D or go to their own thread on these forums. They are super helpful and definitely know what they're doing. I have no affiliation with them, I am just a very satisfied customer.

Normal charge of $75 for a rear shock is what is expected, however that price doesn't include a spring with other companies. You can also try GT Thunder, Derisi Racing, JH racing, all of which come highly recommended from riders and racers.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Go here for pricing and suggestions and any help you will need in deciding what you want.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

250RGUY
01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks a lot. Just out of curiousity...What would you expect to pay to have 3 shocks set up for your weight?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I now we are not close to PA but we do service a lot of shocks. Our web site doesn't have any shock service info on it:( . You can call me with questions or post in our forums. As for high gear they are a newer company and i have not heard anything about them.

250RGUY
01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
will do...

HiperEX
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I know they do awsome work on snowmobile shocks but didnt know they did shocks for quads

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by HiperEX
I know they do awsome work on snowmobile shocks but didnt know they did shocks for quads

I dont think snowmobile shocks are valved/sprung and used the same way as atvs. It seems snowmobile guys do a quick rebuild using stock settings and then just run it.

250RGUY
01-24-2007, 12:23 PM
It seems I'm getting two different opinions on what I need and dont need to have done. The price difference is about $350.00. If I go with Hygear I'm getting everything that he thinks I need done for like 300 bucks. If I go with C&D its going to be lik e$700.00 but I end up with brand new EVERYTHING. Its going to come down to what I can afford more than what is best I think. Baby coming in 4 months. Thanks for all the replies, its been very informative.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
It seems I'm getting two different opinions on what I need and dont need to have done. The price difference is about $350.00. If I go with Hygear I'm getting everything that he thinks I need done for like 300 bucks. If I go with C&D its going to be lik e$700.00 but I end up with brand new EVERYTHING. Its going to come down to what I can afford more than what is best I think. Baby coming in 4 months. Thanks for all the replies, its been very informative.

If you decide you cant afford it now....save up and do it right the first time... you will be glad you did.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I agree what I quoted you isn't the cheapest option but I have rebuild a lot of works shocks and without changing everything you won't be happy. I just don't want to go the cheap route and have you not happy with what you got for the money. If the shocks were just alittle soft we could change the springs and service them and get by but you stated they bottom out on even the small bumps which tells me you need a lot of changes.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I agree what I quoted you isn't the cheapest option but I have rebuild a lot of works shocks and without changing everything you won't be happy. I just don't want to go the cheap route and have you not happy with what you got for the money. If the shocks were just alittle soft we could change the springs and service them and get by but you stated they bottom out on even the small bumps which tells me you need a lot of changes.

Exactly!..... this right here is why you would pay C&D racing a little more money, because Im sure hygear didn't tell you ANY of this, nor did they ask either!

250RGUY
01-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm not trying to put down a site sponsor. I'm sure C&D does awesome work. I just dont have 700+ to put into the shocks on this R. I had no idea it was going to be this much, thats why I asked the question I guess. New Works are selling for $550 on ebay, maybe thats the way to go. I have the stock stuff, might just toss it back on.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm not trying to put down a site sponsor. I'm sure C&D does awesome work. I just dont have 700+ to put into the shocks on this R. I had no idea it was going to be this much, thats why I asked the question I guess. New Works are selling for $550 on ebay, maybe thats the way to go. I have the stock stuff, might just toss it back on.

You cant buy an entire set of works, front and rear for that price. It is expensive and I totally understand where your coming from, but it is better to save and do it right the first time, than spend half the money on something that wont satisfy you.

250RGUY
01-25-2007, 09:24 AM
According to this dude at Hygear If I wasn't satisfied I could just have the valving done later or something but he thinks I the beefier shock and the works kit would do the trick. I dont know. I wouldn't buy a new works shock for the rear, I'd get something used. I dont want to buy all new though, these ones that I have are "newish". Tough to save for a baby crib and shocks, lol.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 10:13 AM
According to this dude at Hygear If I wasn't satisfied I could just have the valving done later or something but he thinks I the beefier shock and the works kit would do the trick. I dont know. I wouldn't buy a new works shock for the rear, I'd get something used. I dont want to buy all new though, these ones that I have are "newish". Tough to save for a baby crib and shocks, lol.

I hear ya. You already have a rebuilt rear anyways right? I would just stick with that and get that one set up for your specs anyways, it will be better than new works shocks.;)

250RGUY
01-25-2007, 10:23 AM
The rear was fully rebuilt before I bought it and not used, just not set up for my weight. The fronts also were redone, just not set up for my weight.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 12:47 PM
The rear was fully rebuilt before I bought it and not used, just not set up for my weight. The fronts also were redone, just not set up for my weight.

Yes so my suggestion to you is to keep them, and then have those rebuilt. Dont buy another rear shock, the one you have is probably pretty good, just needs to be set up for your weight.