PDA

View Full Version : Arm Pump

paulb17
01-23-2007, 08:40 AM
How do i train to stop getting arm pump other than riding and practising on my Quad?

Any1 have any suggestions?

Cheers

Paul

01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I've only tried it once, but it has worked 100% of the time -

Eat a banana a couple hours before riding. It gets potassium in the bloodstream, which helps.

Arm pump is caused by holding on to the bars too tight. Be concious how tight your grip is.

Not much you can do about pump caused by alot of clutching, or due to the thumb throttle. Except weight training.

Links...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/hot_news/index.htm?rider_training.asp

http://www.mxfitness.co.uk/articles/arm%20pump.htm

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,691047,00.html

Scro
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by garandman
I've only tried it once, but it has worked 100% of the time -

Eat a banana a couple hours before riding. It gets potassium in the bloodstream, which helps.

A banana is the key word. I've had some bad experience from eating more than one the day of a race.:scary:

01-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Scro
A banana is the key word. I've had some bad experience from eating more than one the day of a race.:scary:

Werd.

And that's why I say a couple hours before riding.

400exrider707
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Drink a lot of water too, like more than you think you should drink...oxygenates the blood keeps it thinner, same as the potassium. This is all pump-x does is puts more oxygen into your blood

Creech52
01-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Ive heard of arm pump trainning devices, I believe they are something like a set of handle bars with weights on them you spin around or something like that. Nothing like getting the ol' popeye fore arms....:devil:

deathman53
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I usually don't get arm pump and when I do, its usually cuased by holding the grips too tight. I changed all my atv's to twist throttles and changed how I grip the bars(more like a dirtbike). Goodbye, arm pump. Riding alot helps also. It wasn't a big change to go with twist tohrottles, I ride dirtbikes also, its second nature.
Strangley, when I rode mountian bikes, I did get arm pump quite often.

SwainRacing
01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes Bananans, keep Hydrated and work out your forearms. I use a 1 1/8" pipe with about 3 feet cord tied to it with about 5 lbs of weight on the end. Wind it up and down. You will feel it burn and do this for as long as you can. I do it once a day. You can add more weight if needed. It dosent take long for your arms to start burning if they are not in shape.

1fst400
01-23-2007, 12:37 PM
are you spoposed to wind it up and doun as fast as you can?

If so what is a good time for lets say 3 ft of rope on 1 1/8" pipe

wishmasstir
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
are you spoposed to wind it up and doun as fast as you can?

If so what is a good time for lets say 3 ft of rope on 1 1/8" pipe

its not how fast you can do it, its how many times you do it. start with a smaller weight and do it as many times as you can then work your way up if you wish.

TRX23rider
01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
hold on to your quad more with your legs/knees rather than trying to hold on all with your arms

jb500ex
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
their are alot of myth's about arm pump and eating banana's is the #1 myth. eating banana's will NOT HELP arm pump. their are several reason's why we get arm pump but a lack of potassium is not one of them. biggest reason's for arm pump
#1 hydration
#2 diet
and your body's conditioning is also a factor. arm pump is caused by blood flowing through your arms to get the vital nutrients to your muscle's and to clear out lactic acid. ideally you want to get arm pump but want it to go away fast.
if you have any other nutritional question's feel free to email us at info@cardiostack.com or call me 201-264-9065

01-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
their are alot of myth's about arm pump and eating banana's is the #1 myth. eating banana's will NOT HELP arm pump. their are several reason's why we get arm pump but a lack of potassium is not one of them. biggest reason's for arm pump
#1 hydration
#2 diet
and your body's conditioning is also a factor. arm pump is caused by blood flowing through your arms to get the vital nutrients to your muscle's and to clear out lactic acid. ideally you want to get arm pump but want it to go away fast.
if you have any other nutritional question's feel free to email us at info@cardiostack.com or call me 201-264-9065

This COMMERCIAL has been brought to you by Cardiostack, who wouldn't want you to think you don't need to buy their product.

:rolleyes:

Save your commercials for the Equipment Exchange.

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Haha. It would be hilarious if in the ingrediants(sp) it said potassium. I am pretty sure that anything i eat i want to be el natural ya know what i mean. I want to be sure what i am putting into my body. :D
No steroids for me. = :rolleyes:

01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Andy -

Yer looking for a Banshee now? :eek2:

paulb17
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Ok thanks for all the advice but some say dont eat bananas and some say do. I know people will always have mixed opinions but the more suggestions and advice the better so i can experiment and work out what really works for me.

jb500ex - What is your recomendation to getting rid of arm pump or building up fore arms etc

Thanks

Paul

bustedknuckle
01-23-2007, 04:23 PM
idk But My Son Just Rides A lot.Stay Away From Pop ,Coffie.he Drinks only Watet Or Cristallite.Or Juce.He Uses Ourey Grips There The Softest. Also Have Groves In Them So You Can Wire Them On. Rember What Some Of The Pros Say Handlebar Time is the only way to train....

MO-EX-RIDER
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
FLEXX BARS AND SPIDER (A3'S I THINK) GRIPS DID WONDERS FOR ME...BUT THE BANANAS AND H2O DO HELP TOO

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Hey garandman, i am kinda in limbo right now i kinda want a banshee due to the fact that they are newer i can't seem to get it drilled into my dads head that the 250r's are just as reliable but he doesn't understand that. I may be able to dance my way around to get a 250r this summer but if not i will end up getting a banshee. I really do prefer the 250r over the banshee. Dunno il have to wait and see. I need to change my sig.

jb500ex
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by blasterandy
Haha. It would be hilarious if in the ingrediants(sp) it said potassium. I am pretty sure that anything i eat i want to be el natural ya know what i mean. I want to be sure what i am putting into my body. :D
No steroids for me. = :rolleyes:

actually it is all natural.

jb500ex
01-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by paulb17
Ok thanks for all the advice but some say dont eat bananas and some say do. I know people will always have mixed opinions but the more suggestions and advice the better so i can experiment and work out what really works for me.

jb500ex - What is your recomendation to getting rid of arm pump or building up fore arms etc

Thanks

Paul

in most blood types banana's can give you arm pump (type a or ab) because it acts like an acidic in your blood. type O is the only blood type that it could possibly help with and it won't for arm pump. like i said hydration and diet are the biggest thing's with arm pump and riding will to get in riding shape. dietery supplements will help and our's does from the l-carnitine. what that does is help clear lactic acid out and turn it into energy. we also go off actual clinical data not some random studies that have an agenda. so all claims we make we can back up with actual CLINICAL info. the owner of cardio stack is a medical dietician as well as a sports nutritionist and has developed products for several leading companies. he has worked with countless pro and college athlete's

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I knew it was all natural but i really am not the type of person to take pills to enhance the way my body performs. This is just a personal boundary i would rather not cross when i said natural i mean like a bananna or green beans somthing i know what it is and can see the stuff. Not like gree tea extract and gensing. :D See what i mean plus for 27$ i would rather eat a bananna and get arm pump :p

armoks
01-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Powerballs.com These hand gyro's are great for conditioning