PDA

View Full Version : Probably switching from a 450r to YFZ

mephyst
01-23-2007, 02:16 AM
No matter what I'm buying a new quad within the next couple weeks. Probably going to get the YFZ. Anyways, how many of you guys are running Motowoz shocks?? Are they the new thing or what? Compare them to axis/fox/elka... what do you think? I've decided my next quad I'm going all out MX style... It's going to be fun, and I've had several bikes/quads, but only done suspension on a bike and not any of my quads... So I am really excited. :)

I'm also wondering about Ohlins as well... I want the best.

Tater049
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a YFZ and i would probably rather have a 450r because they are a little bit faster. But, i like the look of the YFZ better and I got a good deal for it. When you get the YFZ i say that you should go with Fox Shox. I have elkas and i really love them, so i would also recommend them to you but, Fox is likie one of the best, and if i had the money i would have gotten them.

mephyst
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
You honestly think the 450r's are faster?? I think you have to dump far more money into a 450r than a YFZ to make it faster. From all the reading I've done it seems like the YFZ is quicker with just simple mods such as a pipe/cam/jetting/air filter... I am not looking at doing more than that to my engine for now, I am more focused on suspension... Everyone says YFZ's/LTR's are the only way to go for MX so I think I'm going to give one a shot.. ;) What do you guys think?

lost boyz
01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
YFZ ARE SOOOOOOOO MUCH FASTER THEN A 450R.....

IS BEEN PROVEN THAT A 450R HASD TO DUMP MORE MONEY INTO IT TO KEEP UP TO A YFZ!

BuB400
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Thats probaly why most of the top pros are running yzf's.
By the way its called sarcasm.

Tater049
01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
idc about the money really i just want a faster atv. Right now i am fine because dont get me wrong i love my yfz, but the 450r might be a little better.

lost boyz
01-23-2007, 04:53 PM
BETTER IN WHAT WAY???

A YFZ IS A BETTER MX QUAD BY FAR....

COMPARING IT TO A 450R THE YFZ IS BETTER FOR WHAT HE WAS ASKING FOR MX.....

mephyst
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
Thats probaly why most of the top pros are running yzf's.
By the way its called sarcasm.

I honestly don't care what the pros ride... their bikes are not even close to factory bikes. They change the rake/pitch of this and that and put the footpegs an inch forward or back.... so honestly the pro's are just going where the money is. Just like many of them are running Elka's because well... Elka hands them out for free and companies such as Axis don't like doing that... and we all know Elka's are not the best shock out there.

lost boyz
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
DONT GET ME WRONG BUT THE BEST MX QUAD IN MY HEAD WOULD BE THE LTR....

mephyst
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by lost boyz
DONT GET ME WRONG BUT THE BEST MX QUAD IN MY HEAD WOULD BE THE LTR....

I don't know... I'm afraid to buy a Suzuki... I just don't see buying a quad knowing right off the bat that it has this "tranny whine" problem... because eventually it's probably going to be a problem and hasn't yet taken affect.

06YFZ450SE
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a YFZ and I think it's the best MX Quad. If you do Suspension mods too them. and When you do Exhaust,Cam mod,Jetted, Air Lid off, You will tell alot of differences. Everything I did to my Quad is in my Sig.

Jamey1E
01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know... I'm afraid to buy a Suzuki... I just don't see buying a quad knowing right off the bat that it has this "tranny whine" problem... because eventually it's probably going to be a problem and hasn't yet taken affect.

I feel the same way I was really impressed with the ltr...but that whine is whats going to stop me from buying one. I don't know but everyone keeps saying it's normal.....no friends it's not. I've had and rode all sorts of quads and the only one's that I heard with that whine were one's with tranny problems.

honda250xrider
01-23-2007, 07:03 PM
motowoz hands down one of the best shocks out there.......

Harbin_22
01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
My buddy I race with all the time, like evrey weekend, had a full JB, PEP, yfz. It was a really nice bike. He had all the little add ons and what not done to it as well. He now has a LT-R. He rode my walsh PEP honda one time and feel in love with it. He told me it is probably the best handling quad he had ever rode.

If you are serious about MX then you will learn very fast that power is not a HUGE issue on an MX track. Don't get me wrong it helps but what little bit of difference there is in a YFZ and a 450r is not going to be noticed. Handling is the main issue. Cornering is what makes lap times, not how fast you go in what little straight aways there are in MX. It is all about suspension.

As far as shocks go, I love my PEP's. I have had axis and elka, and there is no comparison. They provide a very plush ride with great bottoming out resistance.

Glenyzracer25
01-23-2007, 08:30 PM
either a honda or yamaha is the way to go. i prefer the yamaha but they both win races. the honda power is smoother though. you cant lose by riding either one.

Xater
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
whats wrong with a car set up for drag racing? and if you didnt notice it has a supercharger so im sure it could hit 700 hp. :ermm: im not trying to start anything but, mabie you should learn how to read before posting somthing like that.

oldskoolex400
01-24-2007, 02:56 PM
mabie you should learn how to read before posting somthing like that.

i would suggest learning how to spell first

oldskoolex400
01-24-2007, 02:57 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing some dyno sheets either

Xater
01-24-2007, 03:02 PM
oh well, i allways thought it was easier to read than to spell.

sandmanblue
01-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
i wouldnt mind seeing some dyno sheets either

Dyno sheets of engine power versus rpm do not tell the whole story of acceleration. You have to look at time to speed graphs because they take into account gearing.

It's a crap shoot either way. I get to ride my friends YFZ all the time when we dune. We like to switch just to compare notes and to see what improvements have been made with the mods we have done. Let it be known that the 06 models are very close in power when the cam mod is done to the YFZ and the HC2 is in the TRX. Both with pipes and airbox/jetting mods.

The biggest difference in in the way they feel, and that is a personal thing. One is not the "better one" for everyone. I like the TRX, he likes the YFZ. I think the YFZ turns quicker, and he thinks my last 450 build had way more bottom and low end than his - I agree. His is all top end. Overall power is too close to call.

If you're gonna race, the stock suspensions are not even worth a discussion. You could win on either quad.

Tater049
01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Xater
whats wrong with a car set up for drag racing? and if you didnt notice it has a supercharger so im sure it could hit 700 hp. :ermm: im not trying to start anything but, mabie you should learn how to read before posting somthing like that. are you guys talking about my car. I saw the 700 hp thing and wasnt sure if you guys were talking about my car. If you are then, yes i am pushing around 700 and proud. If you want to be exact then it is 694 horsepower at the wheels. and by the way, those arent the only mods.

oldskoolex400
01-29-2007, 04:20 PM
have you raced a c6 vette or srt-10 viper?

Tater049
01-29-2007, 04:27 PM
both of them. I raced a 2003 corvette z06 and it was stock, it almost got me, but i got i got it by about 10 lengths. and i have not raced a viper srt-10 yet.

oldskoolex400
01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
03 hmmm i think that is a c5, i believe the c6 came out in 05?? they upped the hp to compete with the viper, how does the SS feel driving, it ever feel heavy cornering, the reason i ask is i had a 01 z28, IMO it was pretty heavy, jw if u had some kind of suspension stuff done basically and how much it helped

oldskoolex400
01-29-2007, 04:47 PM
oops i misread the post, you have raced a c-6 and a c-5 z06???
i would like to see it against a c-6 z06 and a viper

Tater049
01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
i have a bunch of stuff done to the whole car. Including weight reduction. I have a camaro, not a god damned supercar. I can beat c5's and some viper but prbably not the c6 z06. I never tried, but my car is almost a drag car. The problem is, i dont want it to be. If im racing a really crazy car, then i take out my dad's 2006 911 GT2. That will beat a gd damned viper or z06. The porsche is not exactly stck either.

oldskoolex400
01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
i hear ya man only reason i was askin bout racing the viper is my familys hvac company has a blue/white 97 GTS and a 03 srt-10 i dont have any pics of the blue one at this time, i might see if i can get some though, here it is about 3 months after we bought it in 03

the srt(red) is all stock, we drive it quite a bit compared to the blue one, the blue has some suspension stuff and light motor stuff, hoping to supercharge it in the next year or so

heres the srt

sorry for the low quality pic

you think you could post some of the SS up?

Tater049
01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
man that srt-10 is sweet. I love the look of vipers. If it is stock then it might be a close race. I'll try to post up some pics of the ss.

Tater049
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
this me doin burnouts and doughnuts

oldskoolex400
01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
nice man, it looks clean,

yea the srt is stock, in a couple years i think they are gonna trade it for a new one when dodge comes up with a higher HP one

the gts has 1 piece chrome racing rims(the track said we had to have them at first but turns out we didnt, but it looks better now anyway:p) , the suspension bushings have been changed out to a harder compound, its amazing how tight it is now, you can hear it creaking when driving it in the city(pretty much just a track car) gear ratio has been changed to make it lower, when we put the supercharger on we will have to return that to stock, we have most of the parts to supercharge it, just gotta come up with the extra $$$ to get a few other small things to make it come together

Tater049
01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
nice good luck with that. Yea my car is pretty clean, I take pride in my car. The next thing i have to do is get some more suspension stuff. I need some new Bilsteins and other parts. The suspension is pretty good right now but, there is always need for improvement.

250r4life
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
Dyno sheets of engine power versus rpm do not tell the whole story of acceleration. You have to look at time to speed graphs because they take into account gearing.

It's a crap shoot either way. I get to ride my friends YFZ all the time when we dune. We like to switch just to compare notes and to see what improvements have been made with the mods we have done. Let it be known that the 06 models are very close in power when the cam mod is done to the YFZ and the HC2 is in the TRX. Both with pipes and airbox/jetting mods.

The biggest difference in in the way they feel, and that is a personal thing. One is not the "better one" for everyone. I like the TRX, he likes the YFZ. I think the YFZ turns quicker, and he thinks my last 450 build had way more bottom and low end than his - I agree. His is all top end. Overall power is too close to call.

If you're gonna race, the stock suspensions are not even worth a discussion. You could win on either quad.

i can pretty much agree with that... i still think the yfz has a slight edge with the 06, but i also beleive it is preference... they are two different rides, and like sandman said, the yfz has the top end but no bottom, and the 450r has more bottom and mid range with less top than the yfz...

on a side note... was down at glamis this last weekend, and got some good races in... on saturday afternoon i pulled up next to an 06 450r that had an fmf pipe, and i dont know what else, and the rider was wearing a tank top and was all tatted up trying to look like a hard A... he was right in front of his little group- for those who have been to glamis they were those typical glamis partiers who think there the shiznit... well, i went ahead and raced him a good 7 or 8 times, and smoked him ranging from 2-4 bike lengths... i take special pride in beating certain types of people.. he was one... and i love doing it with a stock pipe too- cuz i know it has to piss people off

oldskoolex400
01-30-2007, 05:25 PM
The next thing i have to do is get some more suspension stuff. I need some new Bilsteins and other parts. The suspension is pretty good right now but, there is always need for improvement.

yep, it can never be good enough ;)

Rrider4life8
01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
I have axis and elka and the axis are on my race bike;)

Tater049
01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
yep, it can never be good enough ;) yea i mean where i live where there are a lot of twists and turns on the roads, turning and handling is everything.

oldskoolex400
01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
yes sir, what good is all that power if u cant keep it in the road

Tater049
01-30-2007, 07:42 PM
amen brother amen

trick250r
02-02-2007, 08:07 AM
i remember reading an article by kory ellis a while back. it all comes down to your riding style. do you want to square up a turn or slide around it? the honda is better at squaring it up and the yamaha is better at sliding through the turn. im not saying that its impossible to slide the honda or square up the yammie, its just supposed to be a little bit easier.

korniev
02-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Well I think it is perfect to have a YFZ with CRF engine cause YFZ engine is the only part I do not like. Yes it is powerful, but almost all of them have some type of gear problems. Mine for example would not switch as perfect as Honda from 1st to 2nd. Honda never has this type of stuff, however the chassie of 450R sucks big time. I would say go CRF engine in YFZ chassie or in 250R geometry chassie!!!!
An Motowoz shocks are indeed amazing! Elka feels like stock comparing to them! Yesterday I went out to the fields, I went to all those places where I used to ride on my stock suspension, I was amazed. I went like twice faster. I would feel my front a bit, but the rear became soooooo smoooth:)))