PDA

View Full Version : Long Lasting Tire

ShiftFMX
01-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok, I will be buying a new set of wheels and tires here pretty soon. I am having the toughest time deciding which on to run. The thing im most worried about is puncture resistance and tire wear. I had Holeshot XCR's on my 330r, and loved them, but didnt have them long enough to decide how they wore. I wanted to get Klaws because of the price but hear they aren't very puncture resistant. Right now I'm leaning back towards the XCR's. I would get Razr2's but they are a little out of my price range this time around.

Scro
01-22-2007, 08:24 PM
From what I hear, the Klaws are the longest lasting tire out right now. But then again I have also heard that they are prone to holes.

There are a bunch of people in my riding group that run the XCR's. I ran them at one time. I was not really impressed with the longevity of them. They still hookup decently when they are worn, but it seems like they only last a couple months riding every weekend. I've got GNCC's on now, and they wear about the same as the XCR's.

1fst400
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I have a set of razar 2's these tires are made of rock I swear. I have done burouts, miles of pavment ( race around a parking lot.) ANd they still have tread. altho now they are seeming to finaly die.

http://media.putfile.com/Fast-hybrid-1st-ride

some pavment action with the razars

jonboy
01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Check into the Kenda Knarly Klaw. There are 3 versions, ST for softer terrains, HT for harder terrains and, the XC for Trails. I have a set of Knarly HT's on mine and they hook up awsome. They are 6 ply and they have great wear to them and they are pretty cheap considering the other brands, Maxxis and ITP. I will definatly buy another set if these ever wear out. I have ran over some pretty nasty rocks and stumps and no holes yet. (knock on wood) Colby @ C&D sells them for $55 a tire.

400exrider707
01-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by jonboy
Check into the Kenda Knarly Klaw. There are 3 versions, ST for softer terrains, HT for harder terrains and, the XC for Trails. I have a set of Knarly HT's on mine and they hook up awsome. They are 6 ply and they have great wear to them and they are pretty cheap considering the other brands, Maxxis and ITP. I will definatly buy another set if these ever wear out. I have ran over some pretty nasty rocks and stumps and no holes yet. (knock on wood) Colby @ C&D sells them for $55 a tire.

Theres klaws and then there is knarlys, two different tires.... Both are good though.

DF400ex
01-23-2007, 10:30 AM
I too gave Razr 2's all the way around and I love them. I have to ride on the railroad for a few miles to get to the trails we ride so they are wearing a little more than I'd like, but they have lasted way longer than my buddies new tires. And they hook up great. Only down side is I have to ride in the back of the pack cuz they throw a ton of rocks when I get on the gas. I guess they don't like getting hit with rr rocks, lol.

1fst400
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I know exactly what your saying about the RR track rocks.

There are some rail road beds out behind my house. I occasionally drag race my buddies out there. The guy who looses gets pelted with rocks big time. If I start to loose I just tuck doun and lock the brakes up. They gave me welts one time on my arms.

DF400ex
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
well on my first ride with the new RAZR 2's I ended up cracking my buddies goggles, and bruising his ribs in 2 places. We were going like 65 and I hit the gas over some loose stones and just peppered him, lol. I thought it was pretty funny actually... but he didn't. Since that I've been banished to the back of the pack.

deathman53
01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I have a set of xcr's from 02, they are better part of 70% wear. I rode them on street, alot of dirt, sand, PA rocks. I had them on trx250r, atc250r, atc200x and my friend used them for abit on his trx450r. I really like them, I don't do much woods riding now, but when I do, I will use those tires. I know the xcr 03's wore fast, my exerience has been the older xcr's don't wear that fast and hook-up great. I don't know about the new ones.

01-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Id say go with razr's. I've done plenty of road and trai riding on them and there still fine, i just got use them because there 20 inch and i need 18. But since you cant get those, get kendas. My klaws didnt wear down either untill I put a hole in it. I have holeshot mxr6s on now and theres only like 2 races on them and there wore down alot.

j_cyrus3
01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Maxxis Razr's... Don't waste your time with other tires, a Razr or Razr 2 is the best tire you can buy. They wear great, and I can't seem to put a hole in one(not that I want to or anything) They are priced high, but they are worth it. Just save up your money and buy Maxxis, you won't regret it. Check RockyMountainATV.com for prices.

Old Head
01-28-2007, 02:46 AM
I also run razr 2's all the way around. they wear great. I know what everyone is talking about with the RR rocks. I have tracks behind my house and i throw them big a** rocks 30 to 40 feet when nail the throttle. Not to mention when we have mud fights, I just do donuts and throw a wall of mud over everyone lol.

Rootar
01-28-2007, 07:46 AM
from over 4 years of personal experience with razrs razr2s and kenda klaws. i havent had a "best set of tires" my razr2s i rode FOREVER and they still had 90% of tread when i sold them, now some guy on here has them on his cannondale, never has holes NEVER had leaks and i only ran about 2-3 pounds of air in the rear and 4 in the fronts. the rear tires hooked up a little too much at times and had just a hair to much side bite when just out playing when it was dry but when it was muddy man did they hook up . the razr2 fronts best front 21-22 inch tire you can run hand down they go where you point them with no delays you cant put a hole in them for nuthin and they have GREAT braking traits they dont lock up and slide one way or another and they make stoppies SO simple. the razr rear tires i really liked alot when it was mostly dry a little wet and they were still great but when it got sloppy and slick you really wanted razr2s, they wear good and last a long time but not as long as razr2s but pretty close, these have MUCH better sliding traits than the razr2 rears and are very predictable, BUT when braking they tend to slide rather then hook up and stop. Now my kendas which i still have they are now over a year old and are the mxf klaws 20s in the front and 18s in the back, these have seen rock quary riding, 4 2-hour XC racing events, about 6 mx races and tons of riding off metal ramps like mine. these poor tires have about had it the tread is still deep but the lugs are really showing how old they are they are cut up and rounded off edges. i have went through two sets of wheels while running these tires yes two, not no redlabels or anyhting but rolled lip itp gp wheels and baja wheels, and then i busted up and set of douglas, now im going to hipers:D after all the tires ive bought if i was buying mx size itd be the kendas front and back hands down ive rode razrmx and itps and they cant hold a stick to kendas, becasue if the kendas arent hooking up on a track jsut flip the rears around and you have a totally different set of tires. now if i was to buy play/xc tires razr2 fronts with a kenda 20x11x9 6 ply klaw rear, my brother would have this exact setup on his 400 but he didnt want tires from a different brand on the rear than on the front so he is running razr1s out back......sorry if half of what i typed is hard to read i was eating and talking to other people at the time and i might have gotten lost a couple of times of what i was typing.

balls2da-wall
01-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Ive raced XC for 3 years now and ran a few different tire combos. Last year I ran razr2's all around and they held up like no other. Very puncture resistant! That they should be for a 6ply tire, anyway. But like said above, the rears would catch you off gaurd in a turn. For example...I would be taking a hard turn and it would be sliding just as I wanted then all of a sudden bite real hard and just about flip me. I then switched to razr's in the rear and was much more happy with its side bite. I also agree that razr2's in the front are a must to keep the front from pushing in corners. If you just looking for puncture resistant tires any 6ply tire will deliver!

DF400ex
01-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
I also run razr 2's all the way around. they wear great. I know what everyone is talking about with the RR rocks. I have tracks behind my house and i throw them big a** rocks 30 to 40 feet when nail the throttle. Not to mention when we have mud fights, I just do donuts and throw a wall of mud over everyone lol.

Dude, that's one of my favorite things to do. We all go to these woods that are muddy as heck and just do donuts and cover each other with mud. I'm the only one with Razr 2's so I definitely throw the most mud, it's almost unfair.

As for people saying that they cannot slid as well with the Razr 2's, I don't know what they're talking about. I think that they slid very predictably, and when you want to pull out of the slide you just stop leaning into it and they grip out of it.

I got a 1 inch gash through my one rear and had to plug it. Well... I had to use like 5 plugs, but it's been holding up great for over 2 months. I'll prolly never buy another kind of tires again, unless they come out with a better Razr.

balls2da-wall
01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by DF400ex

As for people saying that they cannot slid as well with the Razr 2's, I don't know what they're talking about. I think that they slid very predictably, and when you want to pull out of the slide you just stop leaning into it and they grip out of it.

We know what we are talking about....razr's are more predictable when sliding because there lugs are shorter. That is why you see the pros running razr2/razr combos instead of 2's all around. This is from racing experiance, not from going around in the back yard and sliding around in the mud.:blah: :devil:

88blaster
01-28-2007, 12:20 PM
ya, my friend have razr 2s on his blaster and I have klaws, mine are only a couple weeks old, but another friend has klaws on his raptor, they last a long time!! I think that bang for buck the Klaws are better, they about $25 per tire cheaper (rear) from Rocky Mountain

DF400ex
01-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
We know what we are talking about....razr's are more predictable when sliding because there lugs are shorter. That is why you see the pros running razr2/razr combos instead of 2's all around. This is from racing experiance, not from going around in the back yard and sliding around in the mud.:blah: :devil:

I should of specified... I was not talking about sliding in the mud that's why there was a line break in my post. It is my personal view that Razr 2's slide just fine, from mud to hard pack, to what ever. I do not race, but I still like em... but they do tear the ground up alot.

EXMARK
01-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Love my kendas, They have not failed me yet.

EXMARK
01-31-2007, 08:23 AM
and the rear

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
from over 4 years of personal experience with razrs razr2s and kenda klaws. i havent had a "best set of tires" my razr2s i rode FOREVER and they still had 90% of tread when i sold them, now some guy on here has them on his cannondale, never has holes NEVER had leaks and i only ran about 2-3 pounds of air in the rear and 4 in the fronts. the rear tires hooked up a little too much at times and had just a hair to much side bite when just out playing when it was dry but when it was muddy man did they hook up . the razr2 fronts best front 21-22 inch tire you can run hand down they go where you point them with no delays you cant put a hole in them for nuthin and they have GREAT braking traits they dont lock up and slide one way or another and they make stoppies SO simple. the razr rear tires i really liked alot when it was mostly dry a little wet and they were still great but when it got sloppy and slick you really wanted razr2s, they wear good and last a long time but not as long as razr2s but pretty close, these have MUCH better sliding traits than the razr2 rears and are very predictable, BUT when braking they tend to slide rather then hook up and stop. Now my kendas which i still have they are now over a year old and are the mxf klaws 20s in the front and 18s in the back, these have seen rock quary riding, 4 2-hour XC racing events, about 6 mx races and tons of riding off metal ramps like mine. these poor tires have about had it the tread is still deep but the lugs are really showing how old they are they are cut up and rounded off edges. i have went through two sets of wheels while running these tires yes two, not no redlabels or anyhting but rolled lip itp gp wheels and baja wheels, and then i busted up and set of douglas, now im going to hipers:D after all the tires ive bought if i was buying mx size itd be the kendas front and back hands down ive rode razrmx and itps and they cant hold a stick to kendas, becasue if the kendas arent hooking up on a track jsut flip the rears around and you have a totally different set of tires. now if i was to buy play/xc tires razr2 fronts with a kenda 20x11x9 6 ply klaw rear, my brother would have this exact setup on his 400 but he didnt want tires from a different brand on the rear than on the front so he is running razr1s out back......sorry if half of what i typed is hard to read i was eating and talking to other people at the time and i might have gotten lost a couple of times of what i was typing.

Rootar have you tried the knarly st tires? They hook up even better than the klaws for MX. I love them and they are cheaaaap!

hornetgod13
02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
I've got Kenda Klaws XCF Fronts (4 Ply) and XCR Rears (6 Ply). They run well and the rear tires are reverable depending on the surface you are riding on. 6 Ply rears are durable enough for the toughest trails.

ShiftFMX
02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Those hipers are F@ckin SEXY :p :eek2:

250exkid
02-03-2007, 08:35 PM
nice graphic kit!!!!!!! if you want good tires i do like the razor 2 but to tell ya the truth i dont race so im gonna go with mudlights.... i think there 6ply and i can get them off ebay 2 rears for 88$ ooo and why do you 400ex guys and bigger have a plug in your HMF pipe?
:confused:

1fst400
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
the plug is to keep water out of the exhaust when you wash it.

hornetgod13
02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by 250exkid
why do you 400ex guys and bigger have a plug in your HMF pipe?
:confused:

I use and exhaust plug to keep water and other debris from getting inside when I'm not riding. Here's another picture.

250exkid
02-04-2007, 09:10 AM
oohhh ok, dang thats a nice quade!!!!