PDA

View Full Version : Commiting to a Jump

rapture
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Can anyone give me some advice.

I'm trying to tell my son that once he's committed to a jump, he needs to carry it through. That he'll probably create more havoc by jamming on the brakes.

If any of you have teenage kids, they just don't listen to their parents. So... I'm trying to find an article, video, website that states this. I guess kids just don't always believe it when it's their parents telling them.

MotoX3
01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Can't really tell him, he just has to commit on his own. Most of the time I end up rolling it, jumping it 1/2 then 3/4 of the way....then some lap at random when I get close Ill just commit, twist the wrist and pray for the best....just my technique:cool:

PolarisRider06
01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
how old is your son?

maybe the best way for him to learn is the hard way.... sad to say but its true in a lot of cases...

but yeah your right, if you commit then at the last second try and ditch on it its probably not gonna turn out the best every time. sooner or later he's gonna be to late when he jams on the brakes and its gonna buck him and he's going for a ride over the bars. if you have any way possible build him a table top or bring him somewhere where there are some tables cause then he can start out just jumping short on it before he stretches it out to the full length that should help some on the commitment issue when he learns that he can do it for sure and then he'll have more coffidence in himself.

i guess i'm not the greatest to give advice on this cause i just race a little and jump whenever i can but nothing huge but i'm sure there will be some other guys who do a lot of racing on here who will give some more pointers

Robin Hood
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Committing to a jump means a lot. It also depends on skill level and the size and type of the jump.

When I want to commit to a jump I make sure that i psyche myself up as much as possible. Then, if possible, I go about 1/2 way off the jump and purposely launch short to give myself a better perception on it, making sure my runway to the jump is fine. Once my adrenaline is pumping I go for it. I almost always hit the jumps pinned in whatever gear I may be in, only because I would rather overshoot a jump then case it.

If it's possible, have them watch someone go off the jump, or have them follow someone off of it.

If you can get them to look at these posts, I'm sure everyone will agree that if they're ever in doubt, pin it.

Not giving it enough gas/braking can cause the nose end to dive and if they do end up casing it it's going to end up pretty bad. Giving more gas usually lifts the front end just enough to land comfortably no matter where they end up landing.

Good luck with the advice. Hope you can pull a little out of my reply. :)

eastside 400
01-22-2007, 08:18 PM
your really not gonna be able to teach him, i learned by crashing mostly, i used to get scared at the last second and come up short and sometimes i would think in my head i am hitting it and not let off but in reality i would, i went for a 100+ foot triple at rausch knowing i had to be pinned and swore i was but after i cased it by like 2 ft and crashed i thought about it and i think i might of let off on the way to it. now im usually one of the first people to hit jumps when im racing. u just gotta learn your own way

rapture
01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like everyone kind of agrees that being ready is the biggest thing. I just get worried cuz I've seen him (15 yrs old), go 3/4 of the way up, chicken out, jam on the brakes, case the jump, but luckily ride it out. I keep telling him that there's this unwritten rule that once you're that far into it, you never jam on the brakes. You just make the committment and go for it. Thanks again.

beerock
01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
get on his bike and JUMP then get on your bike and hit the jump right away and try to figure out the speed you need for him to clear it, and if you have to over jump it do it so he keeps his speed up.

you can also have him do a couple runs right next to the jump to get a feel for the speed needed to clear it while you hit the jump(him riding on side of you)

then when hes confident hell jump it.

if you have to keep doing it, do it. keep jumping it and watch him on the side and make sure hes keeping up his speed. if you do it constantly with him next to you he should want to try it out.

its all about getting a sense for it.

hope that helps

oh and make sure he knows to pick a SMOOTH line up the jump. ruts in the face of jumps will scare the crap out of new comers just learning.(I was there once and remember) PICK A SMOOTH LINE

K_Fulk
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by PolarisRider06

maybe the best way for him to learn is the hard way.... sad to say but its true in a lot of cases...

Thats how I had to do it. If he comes up short, remind him it feels a alot better to over jump, most of the time.