PDA

View Full Version : 400ex run cooler??

yellow400ex05
01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I tried to search for threads about this but i couldn't getthe search to work properly.

I want to know how I can make my 400ex run cooler. With the Hotcam and HMF pipe my quad runs alot hotter than when it was stock, which i already expected. I just am worried about when the 80-90 degree and higher temps come in the summer that my quad will over heat or i'll lose alot of HP from too much heat. Plus in the winter it could overheat from snow riding from revving at constant high RPM's Do OMF air scoops make a big difference? I want to get a black Maier scooped racing hood for the style and to help cooler down the motor.

PLEASE name as many ways to cool the 400ex down doedsn't matter what it is but dont post the liquid cooling conversion , way to difficult.

2004exrider
01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
It shouldnt run any hotter with a pipe and cam unless its not jetted or is still to lean. But you can alwas put in a synthetic oil, airscoops (in theory they're supposed to help), and a larger oil cooler even a tank if you want to go that far.

Jimmy

firefighterjosh
01-23-2007, 03:32 AM
IMO you shouldn't have to worry about it running too hot with proper jetting. But a bigger oil cooler would help. I am not a big fan of the air scoop deals but hell every little bit helps

mad440
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah im not sure how effective scoops are, i just bought them cuz they look cool. you can go larger oil cooler with stock oil tank but you cant go larger oil tank stock cooler because the stock cooler can only cool so much at a time and if you increase capacity then your going to have evan more hot oil than b4. go with larger oil cooler and larger tank that way they compiment each other for max cooling. you can also run premium gas or some form of high octane fuel because it doesnt take as much heat to ignite might save a couple degrees

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Some people put computer fans on the oil cooler i think this would only help when it is idle tho.

firefighterjosh
01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by blasterandy
Some people put computer fans on the oil cooler i think this would only help when it is idle tho.

X2 I was just looking into that.

Anyone ever hear of using a car oil cooler:confused: Just a idea. Maybe one off a small geo or something

2004exrider
01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
here's a previous thread where he used a transmission cooler from summit.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=275981

Jimmy