PDA

View Full Version : Using photoshop, changing colors of like plastics and frames

Rider-trx_250ex
01-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Didnt want to steal the other thread on photoshop but how do i select like for example the fame of my quad and change the color of it? I've pretty much got down using the magic wang but unfortunately (sp?) that's the only thing. if someone could give me some directions that would be excellent.

Ron89
01-23-2007, 02:35 PM
1)Select the polygonal lasso (L is the hotkey I think)
2)Keep clicking around the object you want to select. To deselect parts inside of a selected area, hold down alt and trace what you want to remove.
3)ctrl+alt+j (makes a new layer)
4)In the layer toolbar, click the circle with the "f" in it (its at the bottom left of the layers window.
5)Select color overlay
6)Click the drop down menue and keep cycling through the different types of overlays. Lower the opacity bar to see the image bleed through the new color you added.
7)Use "R" the blur tool to trace what you overlayed if it looks pointy and blocky. This will soften what you overlayed.
NOTE: Everytime you want to select a new object to trace with the lasso, make sure you select the background layer again or else it won't let you select what you traced (you will get an error like selected work area is empty)

To merge the layers into one pic, go to the layers bar at the top and select merge visible or merge down if you want to merge the selected layer with the layer directly below it.

Rider-trx_250ex
01-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ron89
1)Select the polygonal lasso (L is the hotkey I think)
2)Keep clicking around the object you want to select.

Now when I am clicking down do I continusely click or hold down and drag? Because nothing seeems to be happening. I can't find that f key your talking about. thanks for the help though.

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 02:55 PM
If nothings happening you need to change layers. The little pointer thing will let you do this if you right click with it. :D

Ron89
01-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
Now when I am clicking down do I continusely click or hold down and drag? Because nothing seeems to be happening. I can't find that f key your talking about. thanks for the help though.
Click continuosly. The line will follow your mouse pointer. Also, you should have a Layers window. Its more like a toolbar though because its pretty small.

Ron89
01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
This help?