PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch slipping or grabbing?

GreatAim
09-25-2002, 01:52 PM
I dont know whats wrong with it, or how to adjust, i couldnt find anything in the history, so I started a new post.
Now, it doesnt happen in first, but in second or higher, when i floor it from about 1/4 throttle to wot the rpms kick up and i dont accelerate, then the rpms go down and i start to accelerate, this happens in the 2,3,4, and 5 gears, does any one know how to fix this problem?

Sick0
09-25-2002, 03:43 PM
yup

methyman
09-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Sounds like your clutch is slipping. It will get to the point where the bike won't move. How old is the clutch? Maybe its time to get a new clutch.:D

TheX1992
09-25-2002, 04:44 PM
mine just did that. you need to adjust ur clutch cable at the handlebars. screw the bolt IN. try it then. whats happenin is its acting like u dont ride the clutch out all the way and in turn, it slips. or you do need a new clutch :)

GreatAim
09-25-2002, 04:49 PM
its a 1999 and i think it is the stock clutch, it is already screwed in all the way, i tried playing with it and it doesnt help, is it the clutch plates, cable, or what?

AtvMxRider
09-25-2002, 05:09 PM
If you have already adjusted the cable I would say it's time for a new clutch.

Sick0
09-25-2002, 05:58 PM
sound like you need a new clutch.

Sick0
09-25-2002, 06:47 PM
bump

09-25-2002, 07:32 PM
You need new plates and springs. usually the spring will lose there stifness first and let the plated slip. When they do that the plates wear. If you catch it soon enough you can get by with just changing the fiber plates. It sounds like you need to change the steel plates too. to check the steel plates when you take then out lay them down on a flat piece of glass and see if they are worped at all. that is what usually happens to the steel plates. My sugestions is new fiber and steel plates and new springs ALL STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they have been slipping real long you need to check you inner hub also. that is the alum. that the inside hub wears against. make sure it is not worn. also while you have it apart make sure there are no grooves in the clutch basket (where the plates come into contact with the outer basket).