PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex upgrade help

hillbillydeluks
01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
I recently bought a new 400 ex. i need help determining which upgrades to get first. i don't have tons of cash to throw at it all at once so this will be a work in progress.

Jared Coderre
01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
As we don't know your tastes, budget, or what your trying to achieve I suggest you check out other posters signatures. i recently modded my quad. Most if not all the upgrades came from what I saw others doing on here in their respective signatures. It's a great place to start.

tencentsshy
01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
First things a lot of people do are an air filter, and slip on silencer, and follow that up with some jetting to optimize the performance. The next two things I bought were a new CDI box, and e-brake block off plate. Then I bought better handlebars, and some nerf bars for safety. After a better looking front bumper it really got out of hand and got really expensive.

MO-EX-RIDER
01-22-2007, 05:15 PM
14t front sprocket..slip on and air filter.....rejet

hornetgod13
01-22-2007, 05:46 PM
After spending most of my money just buying my quad, I didn't have much money left over to buy aftermarket add-ons. I added one mod after another waiting a payday or so between add-ons to save up money for the next thing or two. I've been at it now for about 9 months. Look at my signature to see all the mods I have added. It all boils down to your budget, riding style, and personnal preferences. The skies the limit if you have the money.
I started with nerf bars, front bumper, and a UNI Filter. I've got about $2,500 in aftermarket stuff installed on my quad now.
Here's link to it pictures of it if you're curious.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=277712

hondaracer57
01-22-2007, 05:58 PM
tell us what u play on doin with the quad like MX,flattrack,hair scramble,or just trail ridin and im sure ppl on here with tell u what mods to do to improve performance....

hillbillydeluks
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
i ride the trails alot and the bike seems ok in the woods (could be more responsive and have a lil more kik bottom and top). however i recently discovered the sand for the first time and realized i need a whole lot more top and a whole lot more bottom so i guess i want all around best % horse power gains. and the best way to get those ponies transfered to the ground

the only mod so far is a k&n with prefilter and maxxis all tracks

hondaracer57
01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
just look below at my mods and belive it or not this quad rips + i still have a 450r carb i havent even put on yet....mine perfect for the wood with the mods i have too..very reliable too...

j450rking
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
i'd say go with the slip on and a stage 2 cam would be good and then go with a rev box and aheader pipe and go from there

ryandu
01-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Open up the intake, add exhaust.

450R Carb
stage 2 cam
11:1 piston stock bore
heavy duty valve springs
port and polish, remove the bottom end of the valve guides
no jug gasket, thin head gasket
Jetting, jetting, jetting