PDA

View Full Version : 400ex starter- help!

redexrider4290
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
when i bought my 04 400ex the starter worked fine but then after a while sometimes the nuetral light wouldn't turn on and sometimes nothing would happen when i hit the ignition buton.
it would fire up every now and then with the button

now the nuetral light will someimes blink on when i shift into nuetral and sometimes it will stay on and sometims it won't come on at all but absoluetly nothing happens when i hit the ignition button

i have to push start it and not stall in the trails

well anyway i am wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if there is anyway i can fix it or anyting i can do to tell what the problem is?

any help will really really be apreciated
thanks

440_Turtle
01-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Have you checked/replaced all fuses, could be junk built up on that, also could be a loose ground or wire in your harness.

redexrider4290
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
i havent really gone through and checked a whole lot except for around the inside the button on the handlebars because i don't really know a whole lot about electrical stuff but my brother is a mechanic and does a lot of electrical work on cars so maybe he will know more because like i said i don;t really know much involving electrical stuff

but i mean could the starter itself be bad, does that happen alot i didn"t think that was something that really quit working could it be that or is probobly something else?

thanks

svahle
01-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Check the wire that goes to the neutral switch. It is located down near the gear shift lever. Mine comes unplugged or partially unplugged from time to time and causes a similar problem.

redexrider4290
01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
but sometimes the nuetral light comes on and even then nothing happens when i hit the ignition button?

svahle
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a wiring issue to me. I doubt it is the starter itself. I would try and trace back the grounds. They are usually green wires if my memory serves me correctly. As you look at the harness, look for any wire that has worn through and might be grounding out on the frame or other metal surface. Seems like I read something on this forum about a wire that grounds out sometimes back near the battery. Might do a search for wiring issues.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you some more info. However, wiring issues can be very difficult to diagnose without being able to see the quad.

Good luck.

redexrider4290
01-24-2007, 09:49 AM
i'll try and look for wiring stuff but i don;t really know if i could tell if something was wrong even if i was looking right at it.

thanks for the help i'll try to get my brother to look at it

thanks for the help if anyone else can give me any more info or opinions i would apreciate it