PDA

View Full Version : Differences between new 2-stroke and 4-stroke bikes

Ryan
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I figured this would be ok to post in the OPEN fourm. Considering im talkin about DirtBikes.

Well I was supposed to pick up a bike about a month ago when I found out we had a few to many credit card bills.

I talked to a guy I met threw a friend of my father, who originally bought out a distribution center of all kinds of toys, (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, ECT) After hurricane Katrina occured.

I remember about a year ago he gave me a list of all kinds of bikes, quads, jetski's, ect for sale. Dirt cheep prices for new machines still in the crates. He ended up selling out in about 1 month because of his rediculous cheep prices.

Im going over to his place to check out what hes got, a few minutes from Clifton, NJ. I'll get full details and prices next week on machines if anyone is interested on buying a new machine for over a thousand or more bills off the MSRP.

My main question was what are the real advantages and disadvantages the new 2-stroke and 4-strokes have over eachother? Im a die hard 2-stroke fan, and was orginally looking into a new YZ125, which seemed to have the best reviews over the 125 class of the 07 models. I've been hearing some people saying these new 4-strokes are faster than their 2-stroke brothers (125-250, 250-450). And about reliability issues, I relize a 2-stroke needs to be rebuilt more often, and is alot cheeper to do. Not sure about the 4-strokes.

Could anyone shed some light about the differences between these motors?

Also, if anyone could give me to a good, informative Bike fourm, I'd appreciate it. I've looked, but seem to find a bunch of way to much crap.

Thanks.

coolex
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
um two stroke maintnence is easier than 4 stroke because u have the valves need to be adjusted, 4 strokes need about 200cc more to make the same power as a 2 stroke, the technology is better in 4 strokes that is why everyone is getting them and all the pros race them and the local racers are also turning to fourstrokes, but the downfall to fourstrokes is alot more money to buy hop up and maintaine

hope that helps

tell us what u plan on doing with it

u did say u have bills to pay so if ur tight on $ u might be bettrer of on a 2 smoke

krt400ex
01-22-2007, 12:21 PM
four strokes(in the smae class) are faster than the 2 strokes. they put the power to the ground better as well. i am a 2 stroke fan(when it comes to bikes...not quads) and i think that a 2 stroke is a better buy. more reliable, easier and cheeaper to rebuild....and not to mention that the power ands are such a thrill ride.

how much is he asking for the yz125? ive been looking around for a 2 stroke, and i found a nice CR125, but if i could get a new yz then i would rather....

krt400ex
01-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Ryan

Also, if anyone could give me to a good, informative Bike fourm, I'd appreciate it. I've looked, but seem to find a bunch of way to much crap.

Thanks.

thumpertalk.com (http://www.thumpertalk.com)

Ryan
01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
how much is he asking for the yz125? ive been looking around for a 2 stroke, and i found a nice CR125, but if i could get a new yz then i would rather....

I havn't got the list of bikes yet. Hes supposed to fax it over to my dads work sometime this week.

I can tell you one thing, I remember looking at the list last year, and I remember seeing new banshee's for $4,500. I can't remember any of the other prices, but everything is cheep. Things could have changed, but I doubt it. I didn't really ask him to many questions, I was waiting to meet him in person and see what hes got, first hand.

Thanks for the website.

01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
are u going to that lizwi place or w.e its called the auction cuz they sold a ltr there for 3500 brand spanking new i was soppostu get it but it was sold by the time i got there

Ryan
01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
As far as I know he doesn't auction off anything.

coolex
01-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
thumpertalk.com (http://www.thumpertalk.com)

dont mention 2 strokes there they hate em

CRich[814]
01-22-2007, 02:58 PM
dont even mess with a two stroke if you have money for a four stroke. dont get any 2004 kxf or rmz250's. there not too great on the reliability scale. all yz250f's are very good. 2001 and 2002 have a hard starting problem but thats fixed with $130. crf are overall good bikes. as long as you clean the air filter change oil, oil filter, and get your valves checked often on a four stroke you'll be fine. there more fun at times for me to ride because we ride alot of trails. i like my two stroke at gravel pits though. with two strokes, maintence is alot simpler. just oil changes and top ends. if your buying new stick with a cr or a yz. yz's are the fastest but hey, who doesnt like honda.

thumpertalk.com---four strokes.
pingertalk.com-----two smokes.

pm me with any q's. i might be able to answer for you.

krt400ex
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by coolex
dont mention 2 strokes there they hate em

maybe thats why i never sold my old RM on there....