PDA

View Full Version : Portable Propane Heaters......need info

A A R O N
01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
All right, my workspace is really cold and I have no heat at all in there right now.

I was looking on eBay for portable propane heaters and now have a few questions.

I found a few made by "reddy heater" that are just one circular type deal that mounts directly on a 20 lb propane tank and burns at a maximum 15,000 btu's / hr.

My question is, will that be enough to heat my work area. I don't need to to be comfortable by any means, I just need to raise the temperature from freezing so my hands don't get numb. I'm working in a bank barn but only use one corner of it. Could I just set this heater/tank setup about 20 feet away from the corner and face it directly at the corner and expect the heat to be enough to make the whole corner a little better or will I end up needing a 30,000 btu or higher heater?

Sorry for the long post.

wvspeedfreak
01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I have a 30,000 btu heater that allows works really well.I'll try and find a pic of it.

wvspeedfreak
01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Here it is.It heats my 24x32 shop.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200178574_200178574

fast250r
01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I used one of those to heat the inside of an 18' enclosed trailer. It would heat it up very toasty hot. We would turn it off because it would get too hot in there.

thump4863
01-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Be careful with propane heaters inside - not good for you - however you can get a kerosene heater and you can use it indoors - thats what I have in my garage.

A A R O N
01-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by thump4863
Be careful with propane heaters inside - not good for you - however you can get a kerosene heater and you can use it indoors - thats what I have in my garage.

What's dangerous about them?

thump4863
01-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
What's dangerous about them?

If you breath in all the propane with no air circulating it can cause bad headaches and if you breath to much can possibly kill you. If you read on the box it says if it is indoor safe or not. Most all propane heaters are meant for use outdoors.

A A R O N
01-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by thump4863
If you breath in all the propane with no air circulating it can cause bad headaches and if you breath to much can possibly kill you. If you read on the box it says if it is indoor safe or not. Most all propane heaters are meant for use outdoors.

The box says "great for hunting, camping, garages, workshops, etc":confused:

thump4863
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
They do make some that are safe for indoors - thats why you should check the box.

A A R O N
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
So I guess the only question that remains is whether or not a single 15,000 btu unit will put off enough heat to keep me a little bit warm if I aim it towards the corner I'm working in. The biggest problem is probably how high the barn is....the heat would probably escape very fast....i just need to know if it would keep up or not. I don't want to buy a bigger one and have to keep turning it off periodically 'cause it's too much, but I don't want to buy a small one and end up buying a bigger one later.

I hate winter.