PDA

View Full Version : 300ex

gresh
09-25-2002, 09:30 AM
well here is the deal i have been riding for 5years i am 20 years old and an agressive rider i have a 300ex and i have been racing around in pa for a while now i have the shocks push to there limit
and i want somthing more powerful more stable, now i could
just sell my 300 and buy a 400exand work it later down the road, or go and spent a couple thousand on a arms shocks axil swing arm big bore kit .
so i dont know what to do. does any one here have a bored out 300 how fast is it. does it keep up with the 400or does it beat a 400.
and if i get this engine work done will my quad over heatwith all that displacement , will the engine last a while , is it reliable .will all this work be worth while, will i be happy with the power the performance handling of it .and what is the best power kit out there for my engine , i did check out powroll,four stroke tech .
and once i get all this work done will my frame be strong enough
to handle the jumps because the jumps will get bigger along with the shocks being changed. and i guess i should go to a 14 tooth in front along with the boost in power. and one more question i am also considering a 250r race ready . off ebay for like 6000 but dont know what to do. and i do rather
a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. oh and i guess the riding i will be doing is moto cross size jumps racing around and hair scramble/trail riding. please give me some advise on what i should do. my email is scott.greshock@hulburt.af.mil

Ben
09-25-2002, 12:46 PM
I won't go into the whole 300ex big bore specs, etc. but I highly recommend that you sell your 300ex and buy a 400ex or 250r. They are much better suited to your aggressive riding style as well as MX and harescrambling. Those two quads also offer a much greater possibility for upgrades, where as the 300ex can become very expensive and somewhat unreliable when it is modded to the point of keeping up with piped 400s. In the long run you will be happier, and richer, if you sell the 300 and pick up a great used 400 or 250r. You can even find great 400exs for under $3,800 - so you can't go wrong. If you have any specific questions just ask. :)

Houser Cannondale
09-26-2002, 03:08 PM
if you have a 300 throw in a 330 kit, cam, valve springs, and a good pipe you can easily beat a piped jetted 400. 330 is just as realiable as stock engine they say. thats prob what im gonna do to my 300 because im in a position i cant sell it if i could id buy a 400 so since im stuck with it thats prob what ill put in mine.

Ben
09-26-2002, 03:20 PM
Yes but once you pay for a quality 330 kit, and upgrade your 300ex suspension - you could have sold your 300 and bought a 400ex and have the power and suspension stock (or even aftermarket if you can find a suitable modded 400). I am not downing the idea of modding 300exs but I think if one has the option they should go with a 400ex or 250r for aggressive trail or MX riding - much more upgrade potential. I have a buddy with a trick 300ex that he is getting a 365 for, and he is quite happy with it, but for my money I'd get the bigger quad. Let us know what you decide :)

Houser Cannondale
09-26-2002, 04:03 PM
thats true. but if your like me not in a position to sell your 300ex, you can upgrade it and make it a good bike. im gonna set mine up for mx but im not buyin all the expensive stuff just works shocks with rezz maybe 330 kit a-arms axle ya know but i figure since there are alot less 300ex's than 400's id have a better chance at winning in that class than in a 400 class.

gresh
09-27-2002, 11:14 AM
thanx guys i will keep the 300 and slam it it will be a good project for me first this is to up my shock tower for the 300 to fit 250r shocks on it will be sweeeet:eek: