PDA

View Full Version : Going To 440cc's - What Do I Need?

400grl
09-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Hey guys,

I'm sandbagging my beginner class, and I know they are going to move me up to Novice soon, so I am getting a 440 kit and a-arms and shocks....blah blah blah.

Question - for those of you who are currently running with a 440 kit, what do I need besides the kit itself and what are the best brands??? I'm thinkin' White Bros. right now, but don't really know if they are the best. I want a high compression ratio, but don't want to have to rebuild every other race. I'm also concerned about keeping my engine cool so I don't lose so much horsepower or grenade it. SO, besides the kit, what else will I need? Aftermarket rev limiter? Cam?

I know you guys know your stuff, so I'm all ears! Thanks!!!

DarkStarRacing
09-25-2002, 09:27 AM
go with a good rev limiter and some air scoops tinner has good ones for cheap, what kind of racing you doing..mx,gncc, dunes ?

400grl
09-25-2002, 09:59 AM
I race MX.....have been doing good so far, but like I said, I know they are going to move me up soon....need to stay competitive!

Scoops...I will have to add that to my list. Cool - thanks!

oynot400
09-25-2002, 01:16 PM
I would say run a 11:1 piston, get a cam. I have a WB track cam, but I would look for something with more bottom end. A carb will help out a bunch also.
Becareful of power hunger, it will bit you right in the piggy bank. :devil

forum
09-25-2002, 01:35 PM
go with the white bro's kit.
440cc
11:1 compression
Race cam
wb Rev box

then go from their. you will be happy with this stuff. The next things to do would to get more air in and more out seeing as you have an extra 40cc's So get a pipe(curtis spark x-6 its for tuned engines) and a carb. Then take it to a local shop that does porting. Don't go with some high priced company you see in the mags. as long as the person doing your motor work isn't a complete idiot your gonna get the same result, atleast in 4 strokes.

JabberJaw
09-25-2002, 01:42 PM
I know you guys know your stuff, so I'm all ears! Thanks!!!

I usually like my women with a little more than ears. Maybe if you said, "I'm all wet", or "I'm getting excited!", or even "I'm really hot on the idea!" you would get more responses :-)

"Yeah I know, I have two left nuts, so I keep dicking up all the time!"

UglyMotha™
09-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw

I usually like my women with a little more than ears. Maybe if you said, "I'm all wet", or "I'm getting excited!", or even "I'm really hot on the idea!" you would get more responses :-)

"Yeah I know, I have two left nuts, so I keep dicking up all the time!"

oh my

400grl
09-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Yeah.....well....no comment. I'm going to keep myself out of trouble.......I try not to go there on THIS board. :devil Although if I don't get anymore help I might have to post a pic or something!

Thanks for the input so far....as far as kits go, I think I am going to go with WB- I found a guy locally who will do my boring for me and weld my crank, too. Think I'll go WB on a new clutch, too. Still don't know about a cam....I'll probably get one from the guy who is going to do my engine work. I think I'm going to polish my carb and see if that is sufficient......if not I will look at getting a Mikuni 41mm.

Still need to find a good oil cooler or tank.....still need to decide on shocks, too. I'm only 135 lbs so I don't need any super heavy duty ones...looking at WB and Elkas.

Also need to decide on A-arms.....

Rear axle is going to be +5 dominator by RPM. My bf has one on his Raptor and I'm spoiled now.

Again, thanks for the input so far! ;) I'm going to start ordering parts tomorrow so your help is definately appreciated!

440exnacsracer
09-25-2002, 06:42 PM
from my expierience, if all you have is shocks, arms, clutch, and pipe left to decide on, id go with a curtis sparks x-6, houser a-arms, pep shocks, barnett clutch and a stage 2 hotcam. you sound like you know your stuff though. be sure to get your head shaved and get a heavy-duty head gasket from cometic. dont have their #, just go to cometic.com and find their #. a bearing housing would be a good investment too. what tires are you getting. you talk like you have plenty of $ to spend so i would go with 18-11-8 turf tamers on champion beadlocks, you can get them custom grooved from nacs which wouldnt be a bad idea. good luck, post some pics when its done. lata
ben

Houser Cannondale
09-25-2002, 08:28 PM
four stroke tech makes a huge accessory oil cooler for the 400ex. i think its 95 bucks maybe but not sure they say it lowers oil temp to the top end 50 degrees. its on their web site, www.fourstroketech.com

SandTrix
09-26-2002, 09:51 AM
You should get the head flowed on your bike or you will be pretty dissapointed in how it performs. The head mod will really wake up your EX. Feel free to pm me if you want some information on us porting your head for you.

phatswinn
09-26-2002, 03:01 PM
cam, porting high compression piston free flowing exaust and filter
air box mods and maybe remove the choke, that all i know

Matt Fisher
09-27-2002, 09:59 AM
If you're willing to run race fuel, a high compression piston (12:1 to 13:1) will reap huge benifits. Also, by running a high CR, you can run a bigger cam without loosing bottom-end power.

A stock cam won't work very well, make certain you have a agressive enough one in there. Whatever carb you go with- make certain it has an accelerator pump (I'd suggest the FCR). Port work will certainly help the power too. Pipe, of course.

The Dunlap cooler would be a good idea, the oversized cooler less so.

440sparks
09-27-2002, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't go with the wb ims 440 kit. I had that last year and really just wasted my money. They claim it is a 11:1 ratio and 440cc when really its more like 9.75:1 and 432cc. I upgraded this year to Sparks Racing 440 kit it has true 12:1 (cut to your spec.) and 89mm piston. I would also have a good quad shop port your head. Like lrd, gt thunder, etc... I also installed fourstroketech top end cooler and a larger pingry oil tank. It is running cooler now. A larger carb. helped too. I went with FCR 39mm but to save some cash you can rejet stock and remove your choke. Also get a "drop-in" cam from TC or Sparks. They are around 160 with no core charge. These hot cams and w.b. cams are starting to show problems. I've been down this road twice so, if you need any more info then let me know. Hope any of this helps.

400grl
09-27-2002, 11:23 AM
Cool - you guys are giving me great info! Thanks! Here is what has happened so far!

Ordered the following:

my 440 kit from WB (I went 11:1 for now, so hopefully I won't have to weld my crank - can increase when I want more power) (my engine is already ported and polished)

Rev kit WB

FMF hi-flo header

Hinson clutch basket

Barnett Dirt Digger clutch

WB track cam (couldn't get Webcam)

Ricky Stator A-arms (gave me a killer deal) +3+1

+3 brake lines

WB bleed adjust front shocks (BA) (couldt get one's from PEP I liked)

RPM Dominator Axle (race) +4

Still have to order my Tinner scoops and cool kit from Fourstroke Tech....I left messages - no one answering phones yet.

Still not sure about the carb, yet. If polishing it works, then I will keep it stock - if not, then will check out some carbs soon! What about jetting? Any general ranges???

Thanks again!

;)

400grl
09-27-2002, 11:26 AM
440 sparks - just read your post! Ooops! Well, I'm sort of committed now...hopefully everything will hold out for a while....I can always upgrade later, when I get more money. Thanks for the info - i may be pm'ing some of you guys if I run into trouble! Thanks again!

Matt Fisher
09-28-2002, 08:25 AM
If you're going to run a rev box with that cam, get some HD valve springs, otherwise you may very well end up with valve float.

The WB track cam is a Web 450/451. One of the most popular drop-in cams out there.

I believe that WB uses the JE piston (IMS kit), which does get you the correct CR. The Wiseco pistons were the ones not achiving the correct CR. The squish won't be optimum, but you can let your engine builder deal with that.

It would be quite easy to deck your cylinder, bringing the CR up, and the squish down. If you're running race fuel, it would be worth considering.

There are a ton of different 440 kits out there. Most will end up being slightly under the actual 440cc mark.

Welding the crank won't result in a power increase, it's done for reliability.