PDA

View Full Version : pros-cons

bansheerider4
01-21-2007, 12:52 PM
can you guys list some pros and cons of a 250r thinking about getting one once i get the money...

Scott-300ex
01-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Pros-Everything!

2-stroke power that hits you and rips your arms off

Front end comes up on its own, when your not even trying, its a power machine!

Handling

Suspension

Its light, you can slide with just kicking it around.

Legend quad

First time you ride one you'll want one forever.

Cons

No Reverse, but if you got a 250r you don't need it, reverse is for people whon don't know how to ride in my opinion

It's an older quad but just check it over.

You have to do more maitnence to a 2-stroke but its not bad and easy as hell.

Creech52
01-22-2007, 07:35 AM
well said! pretty hit every nail on the head...one more con which is very unfortunate is that alot of companies are now dropping their 250R products. :(

svahle
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
I agree with what Scott-300ex wrote. With regard to maintenance, call me crazy, but I think it is kind of fun. I certainly know my R better than than my EX. I like being familiar with every inch of my quad. When something does go wrong (not often that this happens) I have atleast and educated idea of what it may be. Also, being familiar with the quad I find those things that need some preventative maintenance and can address them in between rides.

The handling of an R is second to none. An R can be slid with unmatched ease. The light weight makes them nimble in the air and in corners (not to mention loading in a truck with no ramps is no problem even without help).

I rarely miss having reverse. I can't tell you the last time I needed reverse (with cut front fenders just reach your foot up and roll the front wheel backwards). I certainly would not trade the R for another quad just to have reverse.

Finally, nothing looks like an R. You would think in 20 years there would be another quad that looks as good (but there isn't in my opinion).

I have no trouble finding parts on Ebay or this forum. I suppose the only down side is I have to wait a few days for parts to be shipped whereas with my EX I can run to the local shops and buy many of the parts off the shelf.

Just my $.02.

Rich250RRacer
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Pros-Everything!

2-stroke power that hits you and rips your arms off

Front end comes up on its own, when your not even trying, its a power machine!

Handling

Suspension

Its light, you can slide with just kicking it around.

Legend quad

First time you ride one you'll want one forever.

Cons

No Reverse, but if you got a 250r you don't need it, reverse is for people whon don't know how to ride in my opinion

It's an older quad but just check it over.

You have to do more maitnence to a 2-stroke but its not bad and easy as hell.

2-stroke do require more maintenence than an old rocker-arm style 4-stroke (300ex, 400ex, raptor), but compared to the newer shim and bucket style 4-strokes (450R, LTR, YFZ, Z400 and Kaw) the maintenence intervals on a 2-stroke are quite a bit longer and much cheaper. The biggest downfall to the new 4-strokes is in the valve train. They will require valve replacement and valve jobs frequently. Just look at the maintenence schedule for a new 250cc 4-stroke vs. the 125cc 2-stroke that it replaced, and compare the cost. You'll be very surprised.

iamjasyn
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
When I first got back into ridng back in early 02 I didn't even know the R wasn't being made anymore. I gave some thought to people's advice and chose the R. I can't imagine riding any other quad now. It's just a well made machine. The engine is reliable and easy to modify. If you do modify it, reliability doesn't go through the floor. The chassis is so well balanced. Even stock they're a blast. I agree about the looks too. The fenders don't look like a bug. I'm not sure why Japanese products in general are getting more cartoonish, but that's what many companies over there are doing it seems.

At this age in the game it's good to get an original, low hours R if you can. If you're patient, I think you can find original or second owners who haven't stressed it out and left it in the weather. A lot of people also made them look funny over the years with their idea of color design. The original colors and graphics overall were done pretty well. Original plastics defientely fit the best. The 88 design is pretty popular, both in looks and chassis setup. My little site has some pics of all 4 years on it if you don't know they looked like originally.