PDA

View Full Version : a-arm skids or no?

YFZ450Ridr
01-21-2007, 12:17 PM
i bought my yfz used and it came with full skids on it, including the a arm skids. up until now i havent thought of taking them off. i unbolted one and it weighs next to nothing, only a few pounds each. i ride mostly trails that are rocky and rough with a few harescambles here and there. the thing is i looked at the bottom of them and there isnt one dent or nick in them, only scratches from sticks, rocks, ect. should i ditch them and sell them or keep them you think? anyone one to make an offer?

1fst400
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
my budies yfz's a-arms where full of dents.

If you have them already, why not I guess... Altho, do they colect lots of dirt on top of them?

NacsMXer
01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
If you ride rocky and rough trails like you said, I would just leave them on. You never know when you might need them.

Only time I would take them off is if you rode dunes or MX or something like that where they would be a bit overkill. For the type of riding you do, those skids would be right at home IMO.

Crazy Diamond
01-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Leave them on! I smashed 2 sets of a arms before I bought the guards. Since then I have taken a few good wacks and no harm done!

ZSNOW
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
definatly keep them mine are full of sctraches dings in gouges that i would rather have in my gaurds then in my a arms...specially in my new a arms....i made guards so i wouldn't destroy them on my new a arms

YFZ450Ridr
01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
alright well you guys convinced me. i do remember how nasty my z400s a arms looked after a year of riding...rusted up to hell from scratches. thanks fellas

JW450R1
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
i think the yfz's sit lower than the 450r too.my buddy put a big old dent in his about 3 rides after he bought his mint yfz

Old Head
01-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
If you ride rocky and rough trails like you said, I would just leave them on. You never know when you might need them.

Only time I would take them off is if you rode dunes or MX or something like that where they would be a bit overkill. For the type of riding you do, those skids would be right at home IMO.

Agreed...

Sjorge450R
01-28-2007, 05:06 PM
i race XC and I have yet to see a need for A Arms guards. But if you have them, keep them. I know I wouldnt buy them. I see the frame and the rear sprocket as a huge part that needs protection.

01-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i race XC and I have yet to see a need for A Arms guards. But if you have them, keep them. I know I wouldnt buy them. I see the frame and the rear sprocket as a huge part that needs protection.

I agree.

I ride XC almost exculsively, and I've never seen a need for a-arm guards.

Now if I raced I'd want them. But trail riding, I can just slow down, and pick my way thru the rocks.

(for reference, I've only ridden a Yammy Blaster, and Honda 250R and 400EX)

bansheerider98
02-10-2007, 08:27 AM
yeah i ride trails and mx on my banshee alot and they have sand hills and rocky **** like that and im glad im good at wheelies if i werent id def. want a pair of skidplates for my a-arms

RaptorRacer45
02-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Id leave em....ive been Racing with em for 3 years and they may have saved my like 2 times but just knowing theres armor down there keeps my mind on Racing and off of "O No i might bang up my a-arms if i go there".....Full skids is the way 2 go for me

KB Motorsports
02-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I would leave them on.. I hate when big stick gets in between my a-arms.. The guard would solve that problem!

Since you already have it I would keep it.