PDA

View Full Version : Whats been done

fast_enough
01-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey I have a KFX, and the motor is down (like always) and I was jw what kind of motor swaps anyone has done. And what kind of motors would come close toworking without alot of fabrication...I'm wanting to try something different

yellowzo3
01-21-2007, 09:14 AM
the only motor swaps ive seen were a street bike engine and a quadzilla engine. neither of those would be a good choice if you still ride your quad in the woods, on tracks, or race. the z engine is better suited for those things. the reason there arent many hybrids is because the kickstart on many of the engines would hit the frame rail. when people find this out most of them just shy away from the idea of making a hybrid. for the same price you could sell your z, save the money from buying a new engine, wiring harness, exhaust, carb, intake, and other parts you need and buy a 450. however, unlike a 400ex, the radiator is already there, so that makes it a little easier figuring things out in the cooling department. you can just use that space for the new radiator, or maybe even the stock one if it has sufficient cooling capacity. im sure it can be done with enough time, money, and fabrication. its just a matter of figuring out if its worth the cost to you. many have discussed doing this, and theres even a thread in the hybrid section about it. if you dont have the required skills to do the project your better off getting a 450 or building up your z motor with the athena kit or another reputable kit.