PDA

View Full Version : Axle and carrier problem !!

jgray
09-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Ok.. I blew out the bearing in the one side of the carrier, I had to ride it about a mile back to the trailer. Here is the damage I have done. What do you guys see as being my options. I really don't have money to be spending on this, so all options are open. i have full access to a machine shop if this help in any options..

Thanks for your help !!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/jjagray Its in the Axle carrier folder

09-25-2002, 08:28 AM
Maybe I am missing it but there isnt any "carrier" album.

Dont get yourself worked up the bearings for the carrier are cheap, well compared to most ATV parts.

jgray
09-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I had the album set to private.. You can see it know.. i know bearings are cheap, i have no problem buying them.. I think you'll understand when you see the pics what i am conserned about !!

Jason

AtvMxRider
09-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Damn It looks like you are going to need a new carrier and axle. But its hard to tell from the pictures.

Razorback
09-25-2002, 09:53 AM
yeah, that thing looks toasted...an aftermarket carrier would be your best option, although you seemed to indicate that money might be an issue...you can find one for $150 or so if you look hard enough. the good thing about the aftermarket carriers is that they are 1) stronger, 2) last longer and 3) have grease zerks for maintenance.

there's some good tips in the FAQ forum here for changing the bearings if you want to go that route.

beerock
09-25-2002, 10:00 AM
http://www.herrmannracing.com/atvprodcuts.htm

check out herrmanns carriers, they have been going for about 130 ON EBAY and there are a couple up there now I think

this one went for 122!!

and they are the same quality of lsr or rpm....(I bought bearings for my lsr carrier from him and they were the same fit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840911651

jgray
09-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Can I put tapered bearings in a dual row bearing carrier ?? I have to replace the bearings, and am wondering if I can do so.. Give give details and descriptions if you must !!

I am trying to get a hold of Brad at Herrmanns. Thanks though !! Hes got some great stuff !!

Thanks
Jason

433rd
09-25-2002, 07:36 PM
I have a stock 2002 axle and complete carrier with about five rides on them. I'll let them both go for $150.00 plus a little shipping if you want them. Both are in perfect condition with very little signs of use.

lemme know if you might want them....

09-25-2002, 09:31 PM
If you have "free" access to a machine shop you should be able to get it working again with some parts and a lot of machining.

I hear lots of things about the taper and dbl row units but either is much better than the stock set since the bearings do not take much thrust (side) load.

jgray
09-26-2002, 05:55 AM
433.. I am attempting to remachine the axle and carrier. first.. Hopefully today.. I am definitly interested in your axle and carrier combo. Email me jgray@knoll.com and I will get back to you as soon as I make a desicion. Should be a couple of days..
I am assuming that is stock axle with stock carrier ?? Is that correct !!

Jason

Is it a 300ex or a 400ex axle and carrier ???

433rd
09-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Hi Jason,

It is a 400EX carrier and axle. I didn't realize until now that you had a 300EX.

toby400ex
09-26-2002, 09:01 PM
at least it wasnt a stock one, then it may have cracked,the bearing carrier that is they are so weak. It actually cracked in half on mine and crumbles came out of the side.
:D