PDA

View Full Version : 400ex few questions you dont hear everyday help please

400exrapes
01-20-2007, 10:38 PM
hey everyone I really need some help its not a need but
1.my quad only starts in neutral and it should start when it should start whenever i hold the clutch in
2. My neutral light does not turn on when i am in neutral
3. I also have a houser steering stem that makes my turning pretty tight i want it to be lose.
If you have any solutions to any three of those "problems" please let me know and anything about your quad that i can help with I would gladly help

scruff_mcruff
01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
hey everyone I really need some help its not a need but
1.my quad only starts in neutral and it should start when it should start whenever i hold the clutch in
2. My neutral light does not turn on when i am in neutral
3. I also have a houser steering stem that makes my turning pretty tight i want it to be lose.
If you have any solutions to any three of those "problems" please let me know and anything about your quad that i can help with I would gladly help

1. should be solved when you fix #2
2.check the single wire that has a connection under the front sprocket . its either unplugged or broken.
3. try lossening the 24mm nut on the bottom of the stem 1/8-1/4 turn.

400exrapes
01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
okay thanks man thats gonna help alot im a little confused your directions were clear its just im new to the quading and im younger still smart with quads just the 24mm bolt and stuff will take me a little but you helped alot thanks

Old Head
01-21-2007, 04:02 AM
okay thanks man thats gonna help alot im a little confused your directions were clear its just im new to the quading and im younger still smart with quads just the 24mm bolt and stuff will take me a little but you helped alot thanks

He's talking about the bolt at the bottom of the stem. just follow the stem down from the bars to the bottom and you will see it. If it was installed to tight it will cause your problem.

bansheemorphine
01-21-2007, 05:26 AM
check the wire that he is talking about that should fix your neutral light problem and on your clutch there is two wires that plug into it they could be unhooked that would cause it to not start in gear

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 06:48 AM
great thankyou for the help you all

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 07:00 AM
okay now i can see the tight steering problem pretty easy that i can fix but the neutral light wire i am following and it seemed connected in what could I do to fix this or where could i buy the new part?

MO-EX-RIDER
01-21-2007, 07:30 AM
if the wire is connected then check the bulb in side the neutral light housing....just pull the green lens out and check the bulb?

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 07:38 AM
okay cool im gonna check it out soon and if that works then were good

DF400ex
01-21-2007, 11:54 AM
okay now i can see the tight steering problem pretty easy that i can fix but the neutral light wire i am following and it seemed connected in what could I do to fix this or where could i buy the new part?

I had the same problem with my ex. The plug was stilol plugged in but the ceramic ring was cracked. It didn't make a secure connection until I wiggled it. If you know you are in neutral, try wiggling the connector by the shift lever. I replaced my connector and it cost like 17 bucks at the local shop for the part.

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 12:33 PM
okay this ceramic ring, what does it look like? and all i have to do is push it in harder or buy a new one? and also i heard that might let me start my quad in gear as long as i hold the clutch in correct?

DF400ex
01-21-2007, 03:28 PM

DF400ex
01-21-2007, 03:31 PM
okay this ceramic ring, what does it look like? and all i have to do is push it in harder or buy a new one? and also i heard that might let me start my quad in gear as long as i hold the clutch in correct?

The ceramic ring looks like this... or at lease it shouldn't. The ring goes all the way around. My good one is on the wheeler so this will have to do. If yours is broke, try to wiggle it and your neutral light should at least flicker on. If it indeed is cracked you will need a new one. Like I said, it's only like $17 at the local honda shop.

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 04:03 PM
okay now where is that ring supposed to be because i checked the battery its perfect and the connection to get it there was normal so this is what it mustbe and the bulb inside the indicator light was also fine.

DF400ex
01-21-2007, 05:39 PM
okay now where is that ring supposed to be because i checked the battery its perfect and the connection to get it there was normal so this is what it mustbe and the bulb inside the indicator light was also fine.

in the pic it is located under the plug that is pointed to. It screws into the tranny and supplies the 12 volts that eventually lights up your green neutral light. if this connector is not seated right, or the ceramic ring is broken, it will not make the connection necessary to work.

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
okay great thanks that helps alot

Which 450?
01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I think the switch is fine considering it is sensing the bike is in neutral...

400exrapes
01-21-2007, 07:16 PM
okay umm i checked that seramic ring and it wasnty cracked or anything it was all good ill pulled it out of the ring and put it back in and i wiggled it and it didnt change the the light its still off when im in neutral and its not a necesity which 450? ... but i can only start my quad in neutral so i was told that if i can fix the neutral light my quad might also start in gear as long as i hold the clutch in

HondaEXrider22
01-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Check the connection at the whole bulb harness. Check the entire wire from top to bottom and check for problems..ect

hondaracer57
01-22-2007, 05:38 AM
if u cant get it too work just throw it out...lop the the 2 wires that go into the cluch perch together and u can start ur quad anytime..and for the steering stem on the clamp put a very thin washer on one side of it so space it apart alittle and it makes ur steering nice and loose...dont losin the bottom nut that aint gonna do anything but make the steering stem move up and down u know cause it moves on a bearing on the bottom so it should be free anyhow.

400exrapes
01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
wait what do i throw out and how do i not the two wires together from the clutch and once i do this all i have to do is hold in the clutch and it will start anytime?

Unverfehrt400ex
01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
There should be two wires that go into your clutch lever. Cut them off from the lever and wire the two wires together. Now your quad will start anytime, ya just wanna make sure you pull the clutch in still.

400exrapes
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
ehh idk thats a little risky i dont want to mess anything up and then it not work at all and when you say wire them together how do i do that

hondaracer57
01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
find the two wires that go into ur clutch leaver perch and just cut them off strip them both and twist them together and u can use ither tape or a wire conector and crimp it on...i just taped mine up real good and tucked them outa the way...it wont mess anything up..i bet u most of the ppl that have 400exs did it..

400exrapes
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
okay so i strip the outside black cover part and the wires on the inside i twist together and put tape over them and it will definatley start in gear?

hondaracer57
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
yep just get down to the two wires and wire them together and it will start when every u want it too...

400exrapes
01-22-2007, 07:03 PM
wow thankyou very much all of you who told me to cut the wires it worked. I was shaky about doing it i though i was gonna do it and then post another message saying it didnt work and one of you said oh that sucks but you were right it starts perfect all i have to do is hold in the clutch like a regular quad. thankyou all i need now is the neutral light and i didnt have the time to take off the front fenders yet to adjust the steering stem i cant get at it with the fenders on