PDA

View Full Version : FYI quick tip on Z400 exhaust installation

northwest Texas
01-20-2007, 07:16 PM
My b-i-l just bought a Pro Circuit T-4 to put on his Z400. He's been reading on ZCentral and the headaches guys have been having trying to install them. Because of the close proximity of the oil tank, fan/radiator, etc. it's really difficult to even get the stock headpipe out and the thermostat must be removed for that.

I found a tip that might save you guys lots of trouble.

While trying to finaggle the headpipe I was on the left side watching. I noticed if we could just raise the engine a half inch the pipe would slip right in.

So what we did was remove the motor mount bolt on the bottom, the front and then remove the 2 bolts on each side on the top bracket leaving only the swingarm bolt holding the engine. I took a prybar and lifted the engine and the pipe slipped right in.

That took us 10 minutes to do all that, far less than what he was reading other guys were telling. Granted it was much easier with the 2 of us but you could do it by yourself.

Anyways, I thought I'd fill you guys in on this little "shortcut" we found.

schickhed
01-21-2007, 10:37 AM
nice to know when i go to change mine:)

suzukigirl
01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
nice to know..thnx for the tip:)

drzoo2
01-21-2007, 04:46 PM
I just installed my header Saturday. Really not that hard to remove the thermostat and coolant hose. It's just three bolts. If it wasn't for coolant leaking all over, it would be painless.

z

northwest Texas
01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Just to clarify, we did remove the thermostat to the get stock pipe out and didn't reinstall the thermostat until the new one was in.

The problem was the pipe hits the tubing on the frame and the exhaust studs. Raising the engine got the minimal clearance needed to slip the pipe in.

drzoo2
01-22-2007, 07:30 AM
I also forgot to mention. I had to removed the exhaust shield. This is critical cause once I took it off the pipe slid out.

1) remove shield.
2 loosen radiator hose at pump.
3) remove thermostat housing and thermostat.
4) deal with leaking coolant.

At this point the pipe will slide right out.

01-24-2007, 05:59 AM
ip address: 125.244.6.67

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by drzoo2
I also forgot to mention. I had to removed the exhaust shield. This is critical cause once I took it off the pipe slid out.

1) remove shield.
2 loosen radiator hose at pump.
3) remove thermostat housing and thermostat.
4) deal with leaking coolant.

At this point the pipe will slide right out.

Thats great now try and find a nice painless way of changing steering stems on one of those buggers...

Besides I think the hardes exhaust to take on off is the stock one anyways if Im not mistaken?