PDA

View Full Version : tires

suzukigirl
01-20-2007, 06:33 PM
right now i have stock tires on my z-400...i race mx and have heard that it is better to have smaller tires...i was thinking about getting 18s for the back and 20s for the front...probably holeshots....is this a good idea and will it make that much of a difference(i'm still a beginner and i'm not really outriding the quad)

mx1791
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
it will lower the quad a tad, and holeshots hook up good, im sure you'll like them, and imo there worth it

05Z400rdr
01-20-2007, 07:49 PM
yeah it is good. last season my first race, my first moto i did with 20'' rears and 22'' fronts...i could do every jump except 1. 2nd moto i did with the same 22'' fronts, but i put my 18'' rears on, and surprisingly enough, it gave me a noticable amount of more power and also gave me the perfect amount to make that jump. smaller tires are better for cornering too. the disadvantage of smaller tires: your top speed will have a big decrease, which u dont want for the holeshot. so if u get smaller tires, i suggest changing the gearing, that way u wont loose your speed, but u wont gain much, if any, power too. but you will have better handling... hope this helps:)

Landon

05Z400rdr
01-20-2007, 07:50 PM
also forgot to say, ull love the holeshots. for mx i used the mxr6's and loved them. i recommend the mxr6's or the sx's for motocross. hope this helps

Landon:)

yellowzo3
01-20-2007, 07:57 PM
18's in the back are very common for mx, probably the most used tire size. i have 18's in the back and 20's in the front and i like it alot. the smaller rear tires are great for acceleration but you lose top end. i use razr mx's and have no complaints. they wear great and still have a ton of tread left, and i use them in the woods also. heres a picture so you can get an idea of the size of the tires. hope this helps you out. 18 inch Holeshot's and turf tamers are smaller than 18 inch razr mx's. im not sure why this is but they are somewhat smaller from what ive seen and heard.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m246/yellowz03/Z400-2002.jpg

smoothie
01-22-2007, 11:47 AM
how much top speed would you loose going with 18's in the rear?i figure about a good 5mph or so?more? because if that is the case then it wouldn't hurt too much.

what would u guys say of running ltr450 tires and and rims all the way around on a z400? i've got a wider axle and a-arms and my next step is to go with the 18's and 20's. got a pretty good deal on a set of ltr wheels and tires, i'm strongly thinking of buying in a day or two. anything that you could tell me to steer me away from that idea i'd like to hear it. besides that it's not a track proven tire. there are a lot of people that use the factory tires with great results.

mx1791
01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
imo i think you should buy the LT-r tires if there a fair price, seems like you've got it already set up for mx, the tires will just make it better

smoothie
01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
ya it is pretty well set so far, just needs some more fine tuning. i can get the set for 350 bucks but i might wait because of winter now. it will give me time to save up a couple hundred more and get some holeshots with some nicer rims than the factory suzuki, though they are not bat at all.

what would you guys say. go for the set right now or wait till summer and get something a little bit better? logicly i should wait but i get so antsy....

mx1791
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
your better off saving for holeshots on bajas or beadlocks or something but the stock lt-r tires arnt bad

jherbie28
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
you want to get a bead-lock if you plan on ripping it up on the track, the last thing you want to have happen is you tire comming off the wheel and belive me they will. bead-locks also allow you to run your tire pressure lower with out the risk of the tire comming off. cant beat a baja in the front!!!!!!!!:)