PDA

View Full Version : problems installing my 300ex axle

abnfister
01-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I recently purchased a 02 300ex from my little brother. When I purchased it I knew that it needed rear axle bearings because the rear axle would seize when rolling it.

Prior to disassembly I purchased a set of bearings and oil seals from ebay. Well this weekend I disassembled the rear axle and then removed the carrier. All this was done step by step as per the Cylmer 300ex manual.

The axle was scored a little around the hub were the oil seal seats but usable and the carrier was in about the same condition. I knocked off any sharp edge with a few stokes of a file and polished it with emery cloth afterwards.

To make a long story short. After I had installed my carrier and had it all in place and was installing my axle it was over about 1/4" to 1/3" to far to the right. So much so that the sprocket was out of alignment and the rear disk rubbed.

After speaking with my dad he said that he had put wider bearings in it last time he work on the rear axle. But he said that the carrier was stock and the spacer was the original. The carrier looked different to me than a stock one however. I didnt notice and casting marks and it had a zerk fitting.

Any ideas why my axle is 1/4" to 1/3" over to the right hand side?

abnfister
01-20-2007, 06:27 PM
If my carrier were to be a billet aftermarket one and I put standard size bearings in it would it have caused this??

Pappy
01-20-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont recall any stock carriers coming with a zerk, id suspect you installed stock bearings in an aftermarket carrier and this could allow the axle to be pulled further into the carrier and thus your issue.

abnfister
01-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I will take it out again tomorrow and snap a couple pictures for comparison. Does anyone know the dimensions of the double row bearing? I think the stock bearing is 40x60x12mm.

rooster300ex
01-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Like pappy said you prolly installed stock axle bearings.

Most aftermarket carrier bearings are the same circumference just wider. Look on ebay for double wide bearings for a 300ex. that is where I buy my double wide bearings for my aftermarket double row carrier.

Cheapiest i've found. Go down to the bottom of the items, and you'll see the double row bearings sold by lonestar. 29.99 +7.00 for shipping. I think i paid damn near fifty bucks for mine.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=300ex+bearings&category0=

abnfister
01-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I just ordered a set from that exact link. Hopefully this will solve my problem. Thanks guys for your $.02 and I will let you know the outcome.

rooster300ex
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
good deal:D