PDA

View Full Version : r carb jetting

gorgette
01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
hello guys, i need more info about this r carb. It would be nice to have help :). What do you guys mean by 3 turns on the 48 pilot. Do you know what is the stock pilot on the r carb? I just bought it not too long ago. I only play with the main jet. The idle is good it does not rev but the throtle response could be more quick. When i go riding i put it full throtle but it seems to bog a bit to mutch.

- wiseco piston standard bore
- hotcams stage 1
- r carb
- open air box

need more info for jetting. Thank you verry mutch guys :)

hornetgod13
01-21-2007, 12:33 AM
I do not own a 450R carb but, I know of two threads that have everything you could possibly want to know about 450R carbs on a 400EX. If for some impossible reason they do not have the answer to your question already posted than ask there. Good luck!

Here they are:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231507

and

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143853

300EXrider356
01-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by gorgette
hello guys, i need more info about this r carb. It would be nice to have help :). What do you guys mean by 3 turns on the 48 pilot. Do you know what is the stock pilot on the r carb? I just bought it not too long ago. I only play with the main jet. The idle is good it does not rev but the throtle response could be more quick. When i go riding i put it full throtle but it seems to bog a bit to mutch.

- wiseco piston standard bore
- hotcams stage 1
- r carb
- open air box

need more info for jetting. Thank you verry mutch guys :)
I'll try and help you with my limited knowledge:blah: The 3 turns out is on the fuel, air screw on the bottom of the carb, you shouldnt turn it out more than 3 turns, if you do, you should get a bigger pilot jet which is the 48 number. If you tinker with the screw, you can achieve a smotther idle. As for the main jet, since it is bogging out, I am assumiing it is getting to much fuel, try and go down a couple notches on it. And for the throttle respons, i have herd that the carb dosnt provide great response down low, like off the line, but it helps up top.

Hope this helps some

gorgette
01-21-2007, 08:41 AM
thank you for your help hornetgod13
-nice bike you own :)

gorgette
01-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I think your right 300exrider356. I think my main jet is too rich i have 170 on it. Before I put this carb I was running 155 on my stock carb with my hotcams stage 1 and wiseco piston stock bore. My air box was close at that time. The bike was running really good. But with this r carb I jump up to 170 main. So thats a big difference.

hornetgod13
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
thank you for your help hornetgod13
-nice bike you own :)

I'm glad I could help.
Thanks for the compliment :)

gorgette
01-21-2007, 02:23 PM
hornetgod13, your bike looks awsome, how mutch mph you can go up to with your quad?

cals400ex
01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
which R carb do you have? they were different depending on the year carb you have

hornetgod13
01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
hornetgod13, your bike looks awsome, how mutch mph you can go up to with your quad?

On level pavement with little to no wind I've had it up to 68.3 mph which was registered on my trail tech computer and hand held GPS. That's with no internal motor mods or front/rear sprocket changes. I weigh 225 lbs too. This quad hauls @$$!

flauge
01-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Gorgette, Ive got almost the same setup as you and Im running a 172k main and its about right to me. That bog is probably from the pilot since youre running the stock 48. Ive got that same jet w/ 3 turns out on the screw and its still a lil lean so yours has to be a lil leaner since you have a higher comp piston too... Id say get a 50 or maybe 52 pilot and play around with the screw and needle.. that oughta help with that bogging...:cool:
Also, about the throttle response on these carbs, mine is a whoole lot better than stock. It still suprises me on how quick it revs..:D

gorgette
01-22-2007, 11:19 AM
flauge, what setup your atv have. for my 450r carb (04) sould I only play with the pilot, and the needle. Do you have your stock pilot in it. Do you run your quad with open air box. My needle and pilot is stock. With my stock carb I had 155 main, and now with the r carb I am at 170. Is it too ritch. It would be nice to have your comments. Thanks

flauge
01-23-2007, 07:08 AM
My setup is just about the same as yours, Ive got a white brothers e- series w/ 6 disks, stg1 hotcam, uni filter, and a Ehs racing lid(might as well say no lid:cool: ). For right now in the 450r carb Ive got a 172k main, the stock 450r pilot (48k), and the needle in the stock position.. The way it is now it still bogs a bit when you punch it off idle but past that slight bog it'll pull hard, it was real bad before i played with the air/fuel screw.. kept on screwing it out and it got better and better, but now ive got it 3 turns out so i might as well go to a 50,it should be right on then..
I was thinking the same thing you did when i first put the carb on, i thought i wouldnt have to step up the jetting so much, especially on the pilot.. but beleive me youre gonna have to, this carb's a good bit bigger than stock... :)
Just wondering, are you running a pipe? If so id say mess around with the pilot first. Thats where i had the most trouble. Start with like a 50 and go from there, you might wind up going to a 52 b/c you have that hi-comp piston, it might need a lil more fuel.. On the needle ive heard some people moving the clip down a notch to help throttle response. That might help the bog too. I havent tried it yet but im gonna. The main should be alright, but you might have to go up a lil tho b/c of the piston...
Hope you get it running right, let me know how it turns out:cool:

gorgette
01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
flauge, I have pro circuit t4 full system pipe. I'm not sure witch way to go now. I might go bigger on the pilot as you said. Maybe a 50 keihin or 50 dynojet pilot. Not sure for the needle too. The needle stock position is it at 3 notch from the top? should I play with it to proove better throtle response as you said? I'l try to reply you on that. What adjustement your valve are with your hc stage 1? some peaple said to put 4mm intake and 4mm exhaust if they make to mutch noise. :) Thanks

flauge
01-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Oh yea you might have to jet a lil richer than mine since youre running a full system. Its gotta be flowing more than my slip on w/ just 6 discs.. Id say richen the pilot first, try a 50 keihin and get a 52 also, just in case;) ...On the needle, it wouldnt hurt to bring the clip down a notch that should richen it up too...
After that Id say do a plug check....Put in a new spark plug and run it for a lil bit, and pull the plug back out after you had some fun:D ... The insulator should be a nice brown color if its right on, if its dark or black its rich, if its white or a light color grey its lean..
That probably be the best way to go, get the pilot straight then the needle, then do the main last.......
Also the valve settings on the hc stg1 is .13mm(.005in.) on the intake and .15mm(.006in.)exhaust....Mine ticks too and its set at that, shoot i think everybody that has a hotacam in their bike says they tick...I guess hotcams just set their clerences out farther than others...:ermm:

gorgette
01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm thinking of putting a 416 on it. A wiseco 87mm 11:1 compression. I'll probably go with a 52 pilot. how thats sounds:)

flauge
01-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Yea, you'll definitly feed it then, shoot i think you might even need it now... I know i probably need a 50 in mine, it still pops and backfires a lil bit on decel....
I'm gonna at least mess with the needle this weekend, i'll let you know how it turns out..:cool:

gorgette
01-26-2007, 10:07 AM
alright thank you verry mutch :) Help each other make a big diffence :)

gorgette
01-27-2007, 12:51 PM
flauge, the 50pilot is in, but my quad looks more powerfull with my air box lid is on. when i take it off it seems to bog. I'm thinking of downjetting my jet to 165.

flauge
01-28-2007, 05:51 PM
You know what? I think we both might need to play with the needle b/c i still get a lil bogging too.. I double checked my fuel screw yesterday and found out I just turned it out only like 2 1/4... Turned it out three turns and its just right, it dosent pop anymore on decel and it can hold a decent idle during warmup.
The bog tho, mine seems to do it around 1/4 and 1/2 throttle so it's gotta be the needle.. I was going to do it this weekend but i was too busy.:ermm: I'll get around to it sometime:scary:
When does yours bog? 1/4 throttle or 1/2 throttle or when you just mash it wide open?? That could give you an idea of where you're lacking. If i remember right, the pilot controls idle-1/4 throttle, needle does from 1/4-3/4, main does 3/4-wot;)

gorgette
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
my friend own a banshee stock all the way exept two dg slip on. i went to race him, but before i downjet my quad to 160 main 50 pilot, and open air box. we went to race and he kill me on a drag take off and top end. i was disapointed so i came back home to put my lid on it. We race again, and i got him all the way and top speed im a lil more than 1 quad in front of him. So i do another test after that i put 185 main open air box and it seems to work better than before. I dont have any 175 jets my bigger is 170 and 185.so w-e if it turns bad with this crb ill put back the stock 1. with 155 main on my stock carb it was running awsome, with the lid close on air box. So if you can give me news on it :) thanks.

flauge
01-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Hmm. Maybe the main is running kinda lean, you said it ran better with the lid on than off, that's a dead giveaway that it is then.. Im not 100% sure on the best setup on the main yet, didnt really think i needed to mess with it on mine.. But i think i might now since you said yours did a lil better w/ a 185... Maybe i could sqeeze a lil more pep out of mine:D
Dont give up on it yet, when you get it right you'll be wanting to throw your old carb away:p

gorgette
01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes ill try to not give up hihi, but i think i should put a 185 or 175 main, that should be almost on it. Its maybe kind of too rich with 185 but i dont have any at home so maybe i would buy one and it should ran better than it was.