PDA

View Full Version : P-Brake Blockoff

09-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Can someone Please post some pics of the clutch/reverse/parking brake setup and what its supposed to be like when u remove the parking brake.. as well as a pic of the plate on the caliper

Godspeed
09-25-2002, 06:33 AM
I will see if I can borrow a camera and take a picture of mine. It is pretty simple though.

09-26-2002, 03:07 PM
First.. do you simply take out the long screw on the caliper and just cover up the hole with the plate? or is there something else to that part.. and as for the clutch.. when you take off the parking brake assembly, dont you have a big open space between the top of the clutch assembly and the bottom.. or do you leave the actual P-brake portion on the handlebar?

Ben
09-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Most people buy a new clutch perch when they block off their parking brake, precisely for the reason you mentioned - it looks pretty cluttered having your OEM clutch perch when you remove your parking brake cable. A new perch and lever won't run you much more than $20 if you get a CR style. To remove the actual parking break assembly from the caliper, just remove the cable, unbolt the pbrake assembly from the rest of the caliper and bolt your blockoff plate on there. It couldn't be simpler. :D Just ask if you have anymore questions or I haven't answered what you were asking.

Ben

09-26-2002, 03:22 PM
Ok, only issue is, new perch and lever.. its a 300ex.. therefore having the reverse portion...........

ranger400ex
09-26-2002, 03:28 PM
block off installed

EX Stud
10-21-2002, 08:10 PM
what is the reasoning behind taking off the parking brake?

Castor-426ex
10-21-2002, 08:10 PM
it sucks and wears out rear pads

Sportrax10
10-21-2002, 08:48 PM
do you have to put anything between the block off and the brake assembly? like the orange stuff on rangers?

Castor-426ex
10-21-2002, 08:49 PM
not really some actually come with an oring....

10-21-2002, 09:40 PM
i need one of those-i want an ez pull clutch and perch too- are they any good???

BrianWrightR6
10-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Here is mine, most simple MOD you can do.

pbarr86
10-22-2002, 01:03 PM
RyanEMHS- I did "Hettrick's" Reverse mod. You can find it in the Tech section, works great!!!! I put on a CR style clutch and perch.:D

OH, also, when you take off you stock clutch you will be left with 2 little wires that used to go into the clutch. I didn't know what to do with them but after some research I found that you can either leave them like they are (and you'll only be able to start your bike while it's in neutral) or you can splice them together (and you'll be able to start it in any gear)

Hope this helps,
Paul

phatswinn
10-22-2002, 01:46 PM
i put a o ring from a hose in there and its a pretty tight seal ill bet

exkid110
10-22-2002, 06:18 PM
made my own pbrake block off:cool:

Tommy 17
10-22-2002, 06:28 PM
i notice both of u have gaskets on the parkin blockoff plate... i don't have one on mine haha

user101
10-22-2002, 07:26 PM
i bought a cascade and it came with a o ring. it was the cheapest i found to. 10 bucks.

400extracc
10-22-2002, 08:45 PM
when i put the new clutch leaver in, do i have to change the cable? i don't understand??? will there be too much slack? i tryed puting a after market perch on my xr and the cable wasn't fitting right. the clutch slipped! will this happen to the 400ex if i install a p-brake block off and cr pirtch?

thx

brink400
10-23-2002, 05:44 PM
I didnt use anything to seal the block off plate to the caliper either, but I havent had any problems...yet

muff
10-23-2002, 05:48 PM
yeah i dont think you really need to seal it off, even if yours didnt come with an o-ring built in, like user101 i have a cascade one and you can get it from rockymountain for 12 i think, plus it looks good to

RytM1
10-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 400extracc
when i put the new clutch leaver in, do i have to change the cable? i don't understand??? will there be too much slack? i tryed puting a after market perch on my xr and the cable wasn't fitting right. the clutch slipped! will this happen to the 400ex if i install a p-brake block off and cr pirtch?

thx
The only thing the "CR" lever does, is gets rid of all the stuff on that side of the bars that you won't need anymore, and gives it a cleaner look. You shouldn't have to put a new cable on unless the one you have now is stretched to a point where there isn't much room for adjustment. Sometimes the holes in the levers can be a tight fit, but the cable end should fit in there. If there is slack in the cable, you can adjust it out either at the lever, or on the right side of the motor, right above the clutch cover. It shouldn't cause a problem with the clutch unless there is too much slack in the cable, then you will just have a heII of a time shifting.

dariusld
10-23-2002, 06:55 PM
400extracc when i put the new clutch leaver in, do i have to change the cable? i don't understand??? will there be too much slack? i tryed puting a after market perch on my xr and the cable wasn't fitting right. the clutch slipped! will this happen to the 400ex if i install a p-brake block off and cr pirtch?
I was wondering the same thing. All the quads I use the cr style perch with have to be adjusted all the way out. These are all near new cables. Does anyone else who uses a cr perch have this problem?

RytM1
10-23-2002, 07:00 PM
Then turn the barrel adjuster on the lever all the way in, and take out as much slack as you can by the motor. Then fine tune it by the lever. The barrel adjuster on the lever is more of a quick-adjust type thing that you can do with no tools, while out riding. If you still have that much slack, then maybe it is time for a new cable.

400extracc
10-23-2002, 07:29 PM
thx, that helps!!!! one more ?. do i just buy a cr perch and leaver at any honda dealer??? or shoud i use an after market perch and leaver?

thx

RytM1
10-23-2002, 07:40 PM
You can do it either way. I happened to be placing an order for some parts from an aftermarket company, and ordered an ez-pull style lever. Most people on here have recommended the CR lever though.

Juggalo
10-23-2002, 08:05 PM
i got a cascade block off for 10 at rockymountain along with the MSR raptor lever and perch for 30. i really like the set up. the lever is sweet lookin and works well (i've heard of problems with these but so far mine has been great). the cascade isn't the prettiest block off but it gets the job done and gets it done cheap and thats more important to me.

jay's 300
10-24-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by pbarr86
RyanEMHS- I did "Hettrick's" Reverse mod. You can find it in the Tech section, works great!!!! I put on a CR style clutch and perch.:D

OH, also, when you take off you stock clutch you will be left with 2 little wires that used to go into the clutch. I didn't know what to do with them but after some research I found that you can either leave them like they are (and you'll only be able to start your bike while it's in neutral) or you can splice them together (and you'll be able to start it in any gear)

Hope this helps,
Paul

<----- did the same and tied the two wires together works great! :devil