PDA

View Full Version : too rich/too lean??? jetting problems:

spincr4hire
01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
2006 450ER. Here is the deal. Just got my rebuild done. As far as motor work, just new stock piston, rings, timing chain and valves adjusted. Running a slip-on HMF ballance pipe, stock header. Jetting before my rebuild was 148 main, 48 pilot, hmf needle (2nd clip), stock filter, stock lid with a few small holes drilled around stock port hole. Ran fine all last season.

I did replace the floating valve set on the carburetor (gasket was bad), and that was it. Also new plug.

Here is the problem: Will not run for chit with the jetting I had before, sputtering, coughing, won't idle, header pipe glowing red. Turned air/mix screw all the way out, still didn't help. So I jumped main jetting up to 155, ran some better, but still glowing header pipe.

Right now I'm at 170 main, bike runs great, but still have the glowing header pipe problem (means too lean, right?), I even turned the air mix screw 2 turns out, and plugged the holes in the airbox lid. It does backfire when I kill the motor (so that would say too rich???).

Somebody enlighten me here, WTF is going on? Temps are in mid 30s right now, but quad is in heated garage at the moment.

zrpilot
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Riding the quad would be better then simply running in the garage. A head pipe gets cooled (along with the motor) when riding. Just a thought....

I don't know enough about the 450R to comment on your jetting..

Sorry

spincr4hire
01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
very true, I'll see how it does on the trails tomorrow and make adjustments there. thanks

AbnMP13
01-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I thought backfiring meant lean?

I could be wrong, have been before. Someone else help?

400eXr1d3rZ
01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by AbnMP13
I thought backfiring meant lean?

I could be wrong, have been before. Someone else help?
Lean pilot.

Pappy
01-19-2007, 06:46 PM
id be checking for an air leak