PDA

View Full Version : Another Klaw Dead - Need more puncture resistant tire!

thejeepdude
01-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Any suggestions? I love the way my Klaws handle just about everything, however after being only 10% worn, I took a rock right through the tread on one of the rears, big enough to stick my thumb through. I thought it was a fluke so ordered another set... well just the other day got a pinky-sized hole in the sidewall that not even plugs could help. So, do I buy yet another Klaw or do I switch to ITP HS HD's? Has anyone here had great luck with a particular tire on sharp, rocky, steep, mountainous, tire-eating trails?

400eXr1d3rZ
01-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Get tireballs and you'll never have that problem again.

blasterfreak99
01-19-2007, 08:01 PM
do you have the six ply klaws. if not then get some and it should be the last of your worries. i have the itp holeshots on my blaster and i ride mostly trails, mud, rocks, and motocross and they work flawlessly,however i did get a gash in the sidewall about the size of my fist but it is because they are 2 ply

1fst400
01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I also put a hole in the sidewall to my kenda claw rear tire. I patched it from the inside and used some gorilla glue to fill the crack. It did hold but I dident trust it. So I put a tube in it and it has held up fine.

Want to sell your old tires with holes in them by chance. PM me if your interested.

rooster300ex
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I would of tubed them and tried to make em last as long as possible. If ya tube one you gotta tube the other. Still cheaper then a whole new set.

I would either check into the 6ply klaws or try some other tire that is atleast 4ply.

DJJ450r
01-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Get tireballs and you'll never have that problem again. Agreed, and I have HD rears and only popped 4 balls all season:D and all I ride is rocky rough terrain.

81 clark racing
01-20-2007, 05:00 AM
get hds you wont be disapointed

400eXr1d3rZ
01-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by 81 clark racing
get hds you wont be disapointed

Too much traction in my opinion.

rooster300ex
01-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Too much traction in my opinion.

I agree, but thats my personal preference not wanting that much traction.

thejeepdude
01-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by blasterfreak99
do you have the six ply klaws.

Yes both shredded tires were the 6 ply Klaws. I'd rather not mess with tireballs for the $$, but I guess I could try patching from the inside and throwing a tube in there. Are the ITP HD's really that much more rock-resistant than the Klaws? How about the Knarly's? Are they basically the same carcass with different tread, or are they made any beefier?

Sjorge450R
01-20-2007, 09:51 AM
common man. You must be hitting the rocks wrong. Im still on the same set of klaws since January and I raced about 20 races and never came close to puncuring them. Im from D-6 so you know we ride some rocky tracks.

soberagain150
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah dude... ive ridden in horrible conditions (sharpe rocks, sharpe pebbles, etc.) with my kenda klawz and i am yet to pop a tire... flyin thru fields of rocks n such and ive had klaws for a good year now and i couldnt be happier with em. hint, if you see a rock... try to go between it? or at least aim for the round edged ones. haha good luck

thejeepdude
01-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
common man. You must be hitting the rocks wrong. Im still on the same set of klaws since January and I raced about 20 races and never came close to puncuring them. Im from D-6 so you know we ride some rocky tracks.

First of all, I have no idea where D-6 is, nor have I ridden any trails where you are. Perhaps I am hitting the rocks "wrong" as in, too fast and aggressive. That's nice that your tires can keep up with your rocks where and how you race, but that doesn't help me.

scramblerracer
01-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Razr II will hold up better than the Kenda Klaws. Also if you have alot of flat problems and don't want to spend the money for tireballs- put pool noodles inside when you mount your tires. I ran this setup last year for 9 races- had a few cut tires but nothing that would stop me from finishing. I want to try the Kenda Radials but have heard that you have to run tire balls because they will cut easy because they are so soft.

Blizzard24
01-21-2007, 02:05 PM
I too ran Klaws for about 10 minutes, punctured the sidewall of a 6ply klaw in a race, and immedietly went back to Maxxis, Klaws dont seem to be a very rugged tire.

trx400exxracer
01-21-2007, 06:43 PM
It isn't that Kenda is a bad tire. It is just that you hit the rock the wrong way. And this could happen with any tire out there. So it is not the tire you just had some bad luck!!!:D

Sjorge450R
01-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
It isn't that Kenda is a bad tire. It is just that you hit the rock the wrong way. And this could happen with any tire out there. So it is not the tire you just had some bad luck!!!:D

finally someone else agrees with me.

Blizzard24
01-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer

That may be, but I have run regular Maxxis Razrs for three years and never had a sidewall puncture (All on PA Rocks). Used Klaws once and tore it up, so maybe it was just a fluke but at $45 a tire, I will stick with what was worked for me.

mike nash
01-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by scramblerracer
Razr II will hold up better than the Kenda Klaws. Also if you have alot of flat problems and don't want to spend the money for tireballs- put pool noodles inside when you mount your tires. I ran this setup last year for 9 races- had a few cut tires but nothing that would stop me from finishing.

This is a new one,definately outside the box. Can you say more about installation?

I was considering the radials for racing in Jersey sand,but if there that soft I'll pass.

scramblerracer
01-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I used the noodles that were star shaped, but round would work as well. The length that they come is perfect for the fronts. I crammed 3 noodles in each front 22/7/10 razr II. I also put four noodles- (cut to length so the ends touch) in my rear 20/11/9 razr II. The first time I used these I put lots of baby powder on them thinking that would help them slide against each other. I was using Douglas Shamrock Beadlocks. If I don't buy Tire Balls this year I will do the noodle thing again. This doesn't work as good as Tire Balls as I knew when I had cut a tire but I could still steer fine and finish races. Some other people have used small inflatable balls and even nerf footballs.

1fst400
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
so you put them around the wheel.
For some reason for the rears I was thinking you put them left to right in the tire.

DF400ex
01-23-2007, 10:45 AM
dude I have the RAZR 2's front and back and couldn't be happier. Mine have lasted longer with ledd wear than my buddies Klaws. Both on 400ex's, and we have about the same amount of ride time on our tires. He had to replace one due to a flat, and runs tire slim in them cuz he keeps getting small punctures. I've only had to plug mine once due to metal debris on the tracks

450ERRRRRR!
01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Iwas thinking about irazrs? Anybody heard anything good or bad.
I would use them on my R for trail riding.

Flynbryan19
01-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Iwas thinking about irazrs? Anybody heard anything good or bad.
I would use them on my R for trail riding.

Amazing traction, but they wear VERY quickly.

blue150
01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I love my razr ll I have raced at least 25 XC races and still look great. I think I will flip the rears around for this year.

1fst400
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
hey blue150

you may already know this. But it could save you some time

do you know that you dont have to take the tires off the rim and flip them around. You can simply put the left tire and wheel on the right side and the right one on the left side.

400exrider707
01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
hey blue150

you may already know this. But it could save you some time

do you know that you dont have to take the tires off the rim and flip them around. You can simply put the left tire and wheel on the right side and the right one on the left side.

hahaha if he doesn't he shouldn't be riding a quad!!!