PDA

View Full Version : Head removal question?

Dan229
01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, I might need to remove the head on the project 300 to have a look and the service manual I have isn't too clear on if I need to remove the cam chain adjustor or just loosen it.

Anyone out there every taken a head off of a 300ex? What do I need to do exactly?

Thanks,
Dan

enduro400rider
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
take the adjuster out, it will make things alot easier on you, remember dont drop the cam chain, its best to wire it up. if you do drop it your going to have a hell of a time fishing it out

Dan229
01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm guessing I will need to get the special tool to remove it with? Seems that one of the bolts has a funky notch in it for some reason...

enduro400rider
01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
are you talking about the tensioner? you should be able to take it right out with an 8mm socket and wrench, as for the rest of the head you should be able to take it apart with 8mm, 10mm 12mm, and mabe 14mm but i dont think anything is 14 but it would be good to have it out just incase, just add some screw drivers, a 17mm and some allen keys and you could have the whole bike in peices. you dont need many tools to get it apart, sometimes the head will stick to the cylinder DO NOT try to pry it off with a screw driver, just TAP it with a rubber mallet, usally the sticking is worse for the cylinder on the case

Dan229
01-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah, that is what I was talking about but I just looked it over really well a few minutes ago with a good light and now I don't even know what the ehll I was thinking...must have gotten something else confused because I would have sworn up one side and down the other that the bolts that held the cam tensioner on were hex and one of them had a funky indent in it...I need to ease off the bad stuff or something...LOL

Thanks for the help though and sorry for the ignorant post...my old eyes are messing with me I guess...:confused:

not2hi
01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
you'll need to make the little key they show in the manual for when you replace the tensioner at reassembly...unless you can get and hold a small screwdriver in there.

enduro400rider
01-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by not2hi
you'll need to make the little key they show in the manual for when you replace the tensioner at reassembly...unless you can get and hold a small screwdriver in there.

:confused: i never used one..... i guess i should read the manual better, but it seemed to fit back in fine for me

not2hi
01-20-2007, 06:14 AM
oh, i never tried it with out it! (at least i don't recall)
but still have a use the key whenever i need to

well, whatever works!:D