PDA

View Full Version : banshee crank seal

motooko
01-18-2007, 01:39 PM
i bought a beat up banshee from this kid and right side smoked real bad and was sluggish.... i checked everything and came to the conclusion it might be the crank seal..... it looked ok but i figured ide replace it neway.... problem is it doesnt seem to want to press evenly with the crank still in.... ne suggestions? my idea was to press it with the crank shaft gear but its a tad smaller than the seal.

machwon
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
The crank seals are not really pressed into those cases and I don't think you'll get it in that way without destroying the seal. They should be assembled in the case. The have a rib down the center of the seals, which mates with each case half. Hope this helps explain.

N2SAND
01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
HE IS RIGHT YOU HAVE TO SPLIT THE CASES TO DO IT RIGHT, I HAVE IN THE PAST PRESSED ONE IN FROM THE SIDE YOU CUT THE RIB OFF THE NEW SEAL AND PRESS IT IN USING LOC TIGHT TO SEAL IT, THIS MAY LAST FOR ONE RIDE OR IT MAY LAST FOR EVER MINE LASTED LONG ENOUGH "HALF THE DUNE SEASON" AND THEN I TORE IT DOWN AND FIXED IT RIGHT.

motooko
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
thanx guys i appreciete the inputs... the thing is i dont have a press .... so i usually use a socket and hammer ( i know not the genius thing to do ... but thats the only thing i got ... ne tricks to doin it right? ( ive done many crank seals b4 but never with that little rib... wats the trick to not ruining it?

motooko
01-22-2007, 12:28 PM
or shuld the seal be pressed from the crank out? ... im not really to good w these banshees.. give me ne 2 stroke dirtbike and i mastered it pretty much

machwon
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
The crank seals are just slid on and slid off the crankshaft. No pressing needed you can do it with your fingers as long as you have the crank out. The crankshaft is then set in the bottom crankcase half. You fit the crank seals into their grooves, align the main bearing pins in the cases and put the top case half on and bolt it up. Let me know and I can snap you a photo of how the seals have a rib and the cases have a groove. Better yet e-mail me at rbracing11@msn.com if you want to see a picture.

motooko
02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
ahhh nah thanx ne way ... i ripped it in half and saw how easy and obvious it is... haha dummie me ... but im just gunna put all new seals in it and my head mecanic said to throw new pistons in there bc that could be a reason why it was smoking also ... i figured if i do it while its apart.... but heres another ? u might know.... there r 3 breather or coolant hoses that all run into a 3 way T fittingn and it seemed like one went from the crank case breather and the other 2 i have no clue... the moron i bought the bike from had it running from the coolant res. and i had milk as oil .... ne idea where theses 3 hoses go

project_tecate
02-05-2007, 11:33 AM
there should be a hose that comes off the back of the engine, it goes to the T where one hose should run up to the front of the bike and the other should go to the right side clutch area.

motooko
02-06-2007, 09:09 AM
no fluids huld run through them correct?

project_tecate
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
not normally

okbeast
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by motooko
no fluids huld run through them correct?

No not unless they get below the level of the fluid they're in...if that makes sense. Or if you do alot of shaking on the bike I had some come out one time.