PDA

View Full Version : Help: Front sprocket install

BOOSTED2V
01-18-2007, 10:53 AM
The sprocket install should be easy, but what about taking off the chain and shortening the chain???

What is the correct procedure to install this?

By the way I bought a 14 tooth sprocket.

Anyone that has one chime in... I wanna know how much more power I'm gonna see and anything else that I will notice, like or dislike... Thanks guys/gals -chad-

blown331
01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
im not sure on the install because ive never done it so i wont chime in there..

however, the 14t wont give you "power" it will give you acceleration of course :)

HondaMike
01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I just put the 14 tooth on last night. I only removed the chain guard and adjusted the chain tension after the new one was on. It did not seem to be any problems. I am going to the dunes tommarrow and hope to see a diffrence in the torque in the lower gears.

BOOSTED2V
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by HondaMike
I just put the 14 tooth on last night. I only removed the chain guard and adjusted the chain tension after the new one was on. It did not seem to be any problems. I am going to the dunes tommarrow and hope to see a diffrence in the torque in the lower gears.

So you didn't have to take a link outta your chain???

Pipeless416
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by BOOSTED2V

you'll be able to adjust the chain enough to get rid of any extra slack that you might have. the difference in diameter of the 14 and 15 tooth sprockets are minimal.

hornetgod13
Going down one tooth on a sprocket DOES NOT require a link to be removed from the chain. Just tighten the chain tension and you'll be fine.

NacsMXer
Originally posted by BOOSTED2V

Not at all. To tighten or loosen the chain tension, you need to look at the very back of your swingarm. Loosen the 4 allen head pinch bolts all the way. Then look to the very left of the swingarm......you will notice 3 slots. This is how you adjust the chain tension. Take a big screwdriver or a big allen key (anything that fits a slot well), put it in any slot and either pull or push on it.

Pushing the bearing carrier forward loosens the chain. Pulling it back towards you tightens the chain. You will have to loosen the chain enough before you can remove the stock sprocket and install the new one. After the new one is installed, pull back on the bearing carrier to get your proper chain tension. Don't forget to tighten the 4 allen pinch bolts when you are done.

400exridin121
01-18-2007, 05:11 PM
not to steal your thread but is this the same with a 16 tooth?

hornetgod13
01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
If you go UP or Down one tooth on the front sprocket you won't have to pull or add a chain link. If you go up or down two teeth than you WILL have to pull or add a link on the chain. 2005 and up 400ex's have a 14 tooth front sprocket and 1999 to 2004's have a 15 tooth sprocket.

nashport_native
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
on a side note, the 14t from a 05-current will NOT fit on a 99-04 ex.....they changed the splines inside the sproket (we have a 05 and a 2000, we have tried, plus they carry a diff part number)

04TRX400EX
01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Here's a visual to go along with NacsMXer's instructions. Once you do it, you'll realize how simple it is. Just be sure to put the sprocket on the right way, meaning one side is in and the other out. Look at how the stock one is on there and make sure the new one goes on the same way.

BOOSTED2V
01-19-2007, 06:18 AM
WOW thanks guys I really appreciate that.....

One last question... Is there a right and wrong way to take the sprocket off? I just don't want to damage anything taking it off or putting it back on. I didn't look and feel dumb asking this but I'd rather get it right the first time, is there a bolt that holds the front sprocket on? If so then is there a torque spec to put it back on? thanks

400exStar
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
sure, there is a nut and a washer. the washer is just offset to keep the sprocket from coming off. All you do is rotate the lock washer slightly and it will come off. Then the sprocket will pop right off. This job is actually pretty easy just dig into and if you have any probs... We'll get you out. haha

400exStar
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
I just changed the front sprocket on my 400ex a few weeks ago. You can really feel a difference in the torque in the lower gears. You will lose about 6mph on the top end but who cares. I dont like running 70 mph anyway.:chinese: Confuscious say: Man who goes to bed with itchy butt, wake up with smelly finger.

HondaMike
01-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Back from the dunes. The results are as follows: WOW great, cheap improvement. IT is really noticable in the lower gears. It can pop the front up really easy. Like the other posts stated, this is not a mod to help the bike go faster, but it sure improved the bottom torque. Great if this is what your after.

troutman561
01-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Make sure the back tires are off the ground before you goto adjust the tension.

ImplodedMindZ
01-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by troutman561
Dare i ask why?

hornetgod13
01-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by troutman561

I disagree with that. The manual does not say to jack axle when adjusting chain tension.