PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

romeo_1885
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Alright, you may think I'm stupid, but my 2005 400EX is smoking bad.... it's white smoke, it started with just a little and this last weekend I was out in Ocotillo and it was smoking horribly. I haven't adjusted the valves on it yet, I was thinking I should do it but I don't know how to go about doing it. Can you give me some guidance on what to do and if I should do it or take it in. Thanks

firefighterjosh
01-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Whats the air temprature there???:p

Could be vavles but ussually that is blue smoke.

romeo_1885
01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
the temp was pretty damn cold, we went in the morning and left before it started heating up in the afternoon, I could imagine it ranged from 40 in the morning to about 55 in the afternoon. I think my friend was telling my blue smoke when we first saw it last weekend

firefighterjosh
01-17-2007, 10:41 PM
White smoke/steam happends when it is really cold out but sounds like you may need a vavle adjustment. Can you hear your vavles chattering?

romeo_1885
01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
valves aren't chattering yet but since I haven't given it a valve job yet I think I'm going to go ahead and do it... can you give me any tips on how to do it? this is my first time

firefighterjosh
01-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by romeo_1885
valves aren't chattering yet but since I haven't given it a valve job yet I think I'm going to go ahead and do it... can you give me any tips on how to do it? this is my first time

I am guessing you have a stock 400ex

stock 400 vavle adjustment:D

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

romeo_1885
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
it's a stock motor right now I have a E series pipe, rejetted the card with a UNI air filter and a CDI box... I had plans of making it a 40 at the end of the season upgrading my valves, springs and running a stage two cam. but for now it's stock motor. thanks for the help

firefighterjosh
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by romeo_1885
it's a stock motor right now I have a E series pipe, rejetted the card with a UNI air filter and a CDI box... I had plans of making it a 40 at the end of the season upgrading my valves, springs and running a stage two cam. but for now it's stock motor. thanks for the help

No Problem:)

250X_project
01-18-2007, 09:41 AM
A lot of times, your valves won't chatter because they tend to tighten rather than loosen, since the seats will wear faster than the cam and rockers. A valve adjustment will give you better starting, and better power, but won't help the smoking. You may just be seeing the warm exhaust in the cold air. But, if it is a blue smoke, and is the valves you need seals. Valve seals cause smoke usually mainly on start-up. If it is burning oil all through the run time, you may need piston rings. Being an 05, it shouldn't but... How's it run?

romeo_1885
01-18-2007, 10:51 AM
well I hope it's not the ring... but I will take everything into consideration. I'm going to adjust the vavles after work.

it's burning oil all thoughout, you can see it in the reeds of the exhaust. I hope it's not the valve seats because I am trying to go riding this weekend. I'll post tonight after I adjust the valves and if it still smokes I'll look for more help then. Thanks

dabrowat
01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
what are the sympgoms if its burning oil. My 400ex smokes alot too :(

dabrowat
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
what are the sympgoms if its burning oil. My 400ex smokes alot too :(

250X_project
01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
It will put out blue smoke, and you (sometimes) will notice a loss in oil.

dabrowat & romeo_1885- Did your machine smoke before it got cold enough to see your breath? Just trying to paint a picture, not undermining your knowledge. :)

250X_project
01-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Also, how do they run for you guys? Lack power?

dabrowat
01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
This was happening when it was warm outside. When the engine was cold, there was little smoke, but when it warmed up and it was idling, there was alot of white smoke.

romeo_1885
01-19-2007, 08:10 AM
My bike runs like a champ still but there is a loss of oil. I changed my oil before I rode last weekend and when I got home there was no oil on the dipstick.... I can see that the oil is being burned because it is coming out the exhaust.

I started my bike for about 20 seconds last night and my garage looked as if there was a group of guys hotboxing in there... I plan on adjusting the valves as soon as I get off of work.

250X_project
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
romeo_1885- If it still starts and runs good than a valve adjustment will not help you. Does it smoke the hole time running, or just on start up? A compression test with show the condition of the rings.

dabrowat- There is more smoke after start up? That's odd. How's it run? Test compression?

romeo_1885
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
it does smoke the whole time while running. I'm going through and adjusting the valves right now. I'll post how it comes out after I'm done. I'm also going to go ahead and change out the oil since it smells burnt, don't know what that will do but i figure it wouldn't hurt.

how would I go about doing a compression test myself. I'm not trying to take it to a shop to pay them to do work I can learn to do myself. thanks

romeo_1885
01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
yeah so I adjusted the valves, changed the spark plug... good thing to do becuase it was black, changed the oil and yeah it still smokes... now I here chattering of the valves. So I'm letting it cool and I will try again in a couple hours after I eat and let the bike cool. I also cleaned all of my little disks for my exhaust because they were covered in oil... hopefully after the oil burns through my exhaust i can get the smoking to quit. I hope it's not the rings.

250X_project
01-19-2007, 08:05 PM
If it does burn oil the hole time, than it would be the rings. As for a compression test. You screw the tester into the spark plug hole, hold it WOT, turn the engine over until the gauge rises no more. Do this 3x to be sure. Test with a warm engine. After testing this, add about a tea spoon of oil in the plug hole and test again. This will tell you for sure if it is the rings.

the ticking means, you left a little too much clearance. Adjust with a cold engine, unless the manual says different. Too much clearance is MUCH better than not enough.

romeo_1885
01-19-2007, 08:19 PM
yeah I left too much clearance in the exhaust valves... I thought I did when I adjusted them and there was more play in the exhaust than the intake but it was to the specs of the manual so I thought nothing of it. I'll go back when it's cold and re-adjust it.

jsut for confirmation, the intake is .004 and the exhaust is .005, correct?

250X_project
01-19-2007, 08:51 PM
That is correct. Also I found that it is 100-125PSI for good compression. ;)

romeo_1885
01-19-2007, 08:58 PM
compression checked good, didn't get to start up the quad as I live in an apartment complex and security stopped me because of noise complaints... wankers!!!!! I'll fill you in first thing in the morning about the smoke.

250X_project
01-20-2007, 06:57 AM
What PSI did you get? If running well and good compression, your rings should be fine.

romeo_1885
01-20-2007, 08:21 PM
I got a whoppin 115 for compression, I re-valved it again and it runs like a champ but the smoke is still there... I'm assuming that it's all the oil in my exhaust because I cleaned my disks of my exhaust and they were full of oil, I'm hoping the smoking is becuase I have oil in the exhaust. I asked my service shop and they said I could jsut need a new top end.

250X_project
01-21-2007, 07:17 AM
You shouldn't need a new top end if your compression is that good. Also Your valve seals shouldn't be bad enough to keep leaking. Unless the rings didn't seat well on break in... You didn't put mixed gas and oil in did you? I can't think of a reason why it would smoke so bad. Make sure the pipe is as clean as possible....

Well as long as it runs good...

250X_project
01-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Also test compression at full operating temp and see what it is then. I did a test once, cold got 125 and warm got 110.

Just another shot in the dark...

rooster300ex
01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Did you oil your uni filter?

romeo_1885
01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I oiled my filter, checked compression again, still good... asked around here and everyone is saying my top end is shot... I don't know what happened. no mixed gas in my garage at all, I only run four strokes... I cleaned my exhaust as good as I could without replacing it and it's blowing oil right thorugh... I'm jsut going to take it in when I get back from deployment... I leave saturday so my riding season is over anyways... While I have it at the shop I'm going to put a Hot Cams, stage II cam, with a 440 kit in it... I got quoted at 400 here in San Diego.

250X_project
01-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. I think you will like it.