PDA

View Full Version : 400ex future build suggestions

03warriorrider
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
ive been thinking of doing a 400ex build so i need suggestions. i want to keep the overall build cost as low as possible but i want to use good quality parts. i ride mostly trails some muddy rocky technical spots and i love to jump. so here are some of the things i was thinking of.
cheap starter bike that still runs, new suspension: new a-arms and front shocks probably works or elka probably revalved 450r shock for the back, deffinately full chassis skids, depending on motor condition bigger bore size but probably not as big as 440 cause i still want really reliable, maybe maxis razor 2's all the way around....

should i be looking at a steering stabilizer to?

what do you guys suggest i do, where should i start, is there a good year to do this kind of thing with? just throwing around ideas to see what people come up with. pics of bikes are nice to if you've done somehting like this.

zrpilot
01-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Buy a bike and do the suspension work first. I don't think extended arms is money well spent if you are riding trails. However spend that money in a complete set of shocks. Elka, PEP, Motowoz are all good front shocks I would be looking at if I were you. As for the rear, I would have the standard 400EX shock rebuilt with a new linkage. Elka, Derisi, or GT Thunder are all good places to have this done.

On to the engine. I would probably have the cylinder bored to a 416 and run an 11:1 piston. Combine that with ether a Hot Cams stage 1 or Stage 2. Then if you don't already have a slip-on exhaust, I would do that. HMF would be my first choice. Lastly on the motor I would open the air box up. There are alot of ways to do this.

Finally I would look to a steering stabilizer. The best would be the precision brand, but at close to $500 for one, I might get a rebuild able stick style.

good luck