PDA

View Full Version : Honda 400 vs. arctic cat 400

Hotshoe18
01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I'v been in the market for a honda 400ex but today, I got a chance to visit an arctic cat dealer and laid my eyes on their 400. I like the loquid cooled design of the engine and the overall look of the bike. I was wondering if someone could have me a comparison of the 2. I havent ridden either but I am currently riding a 250ex. I mainly want to know how the suspension, engine, and durability of the 2 compare. Any info is appreciated becasue I'm looking to buy soon. Thanks for your imput!

exboomer
01-17-2007, 06:40 PM
The Artic Cat DVX400 is the same quad as the Suzuki LTZ 400 with different plastic. The Suzuki's had frame problems at first but overall are pretty reliable quads. There have been many threads on here debating which one is better. They are pretty close as far as performance goes and rider skill makes the difference. The DVX is water cooled and the Honda is not. I guess it is your preference and which one you could get a better deal on. My 2cents, go Honda.

blasterandy
01-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Durabilty=Ride Red
Suspension=Prolly DVX if it has res.
Ridablity=Honda
Engine=Power DVX
Reliablity of engine=Honda
Speed=DVX

Street Stunting is where the 400ex stands out the dvx would be fine to do that too. I would personally go with the dvx just because they are faster outa the box.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't buy one until you ride one, get the feel of each of them. I would get a 400ex myself, to me, all the z400 clones (including the z400) are extremely tippy. Like I said, ride it before you buy it.

Hotshoe18
01-17-2007, 07:09 PM
I would probably go red, but the dealership owner that has the arctic cat is VERY good friends with my grandpaw and will give us a BIG discount more than likely. Thats the only thing that is pushing me towards it seeing as how I dont know much about them and have been studying up on my honda facts. :D Im probably looking at paying 500-900 dolars less for the arctic cat than the honda so now thats in the equation, what do yall think? I just wanted to see what yall would say about them before I told you the cat would be cheaper that way thier on an even field.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
In that situation, I would get a DVX. You'll get used to the "tippy-ness" of it, you'll like it when you start to mod it, just remember, suspension first :D

firefighterjosh
01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Same thing as the KFX400 and Z400.

As comparison I have a 400ex and my GF has a KFX 400.

The KFX (same as the DVX) has more power, faster, watercooled, fits bigger pppl better.

My 400 handles better but it also has LT suspension.

Ride both see what you like.

Me I would prally go DVX. And they are just as reliable as a 400ex.

Hotshoe18
01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Well, I'v been searching for upgrades for the DVX and have came up with hardly anything. If anyone knows a few good websites, please let me know of them so I can lok into some upgrades. Since the DVX already has spring-ajustable piggybacks, I dont realy want to spend in the thousands on suspension when what I have is already preaty good. What would be the first mod? A-arms, rear axle? I also want to know a recomended, good sounding exhaust system. Thanks for all the help!

400eXr1d3rZ
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
For the pipe: It depends on where you want your power, but pretty much and pipe you get will make you happy. I personally would go with a Sparks if you want a mid to top-end pipe (loud too), but it you want a low end grunt typed pipe get a HMF or Yoshimura, there's more but I can't think of it right now.

You would benefit more from getting front revalves and extended arms, that would be the first mod I would do if I started everything all over again (got a new quad or something).

Good luck:p

As for websites, there's alot of good ones, KandKatv.com, C&D Racing, East Coast ATV, RockyMountainATV, Motosport.com, and eBay.

Hotshoe18
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
OK thanks, I'll look into all that stuff but ill probably go with HMF. I like low end grunt.:D

troutman561
01-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Hotshoe18
Well, I'v been searching for upgrades for the DVX and have came up with hardly anything. If anyone knows a few good websites, please let me know of them so I can lok into some upgrades. Since the DVX already has spring-ajustable piggybacks, I dont realy want to spend in the thousands on suspension when what I have is already preaty good. What would be the first mod? A-arms, rear axle? I also want to know a recomended, good sounding exhaust system. Thanks for all the help!

Im pretty sure all DVX parts except the plastics are the exact same as the z400 so just look for Z parts and you'll find them in abundance....

oldschool73
01-18-2007, 06:57 PM
What do you want this quad for ? trails? bragging rights ?mods? reliability?
I just bought a used 03 400ex and after searching all different models (raptor,ds650,predator,z400) I settled on the Honda for these reasons.
Parts availability
air cooled ( no coolant or pumps to deal with in the future)
easy to maintain
parts are easily accesable (look at the spark plug location on a predator)
plus there is a honda dealer around every corner
It may not be the fastest quad out there but the fun factor is great.
If maintained and ridden respectively hondas seem to last forever.
I once (as a dumb teenager) seized a honda 125 4 stroke on the trail due to lack of oil. I let it cool and a friend brought me some oil . It started and got me home even with a cracked ring. Most honda four strokes are bulit like a tank.
One thing I would recommend is synthetic oil it has a higher heat tolerance in air cooled engines.
just my opinion bash away at will

Hotshoe18
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I compleatly agree with you. My 250ex has caused absolutly NO problems. I ride every single day unless theres a tornado, and I usualy ride about 30 min.-3 hours a day. The little 250 is still singing and drives as good as the day I got it. Its taken some hard knocks, but if you were to drive it, you would never know. The only thing thats veering me away from another red ride is the face that the guy selling the arctic cat is willing to meet the price of an 05 400ex at another dealership. The arctic cat is a 07 Tony Stewart adition. To me, that sounds like one HECK of a deal. Now, I have 2 wheelers for the same price, and ones 2 years newer than the other. In my opinion, if its a Suzuki built quad, which basicly is what it is, its got to be worth the money. I just think the smart thing to do is going to be buying the cat. If it means I have to turn some wrenches every once and awhile, thats fine. I'm used to maintaining a race car with my dad so i'm used to it. I mean realy, unless your just a true die-hard honda fan, your going to go for the newer model. Thats just my 2 cents. Before people start to tell me I'm lying about the price, the only reason the guys going so low is because he and my grandpaw are good friends.

nashport_native
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
we personaly have 2 400ex's (05, and 2000) and a 03 z400.

the z is far and away the fastest of the 3. and is overal a great bike, but I am faster on, and like the ex better
if you buy a new z it would be a better buy due to the better shocks plus the 05 and newer ones got a bigger clutch (more steels and fibers) more cam and a bigger carb vs the 03-04 z.

I like not having to worry about the whole water thing. I have had dirt bikes and R's and the water thing has always caused me problems (leaks, over heating from rad. plugging with mud, pump seal going bad, filling the engine with water.)

just my .02

northwest Texas
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Here's my personal experience with both models. Personally I am more comfortable on my EX than on either of my b-i-l's DVX400 or LTZ400. I like the ergo's. Other than that, it's a toss up even with the discount you can get and I'll tell you why later down in the post.

Basically they're almost identical. Look at the frames and they're practically carbon copies. Ride might be better on the newer Z's (DVX is the clone) but the difference is probably minimal but I do believe you can have the front shocks re-done on the newer models (05 and up)

Handling will be practically the same but I like the Honda's tires better. My b-i-l would vote with me there too (tires).

Mechanically, each has their pluses and minuses so that's a wash too.

Here's why I would go with the Honda and it's kinda anecdotal but the problems we've had with the DVX is with the plastics. He's already replaced them once and the fenders will probably be replaced again in the future if he continues to ride it much. It's pretty trivial I'll admit but it's just one of those things.

Either of them will be a good solid machine and both have plenty of upside for you to be satisfied long term. So have fun.

oldschool73
01-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Ultimately you will buy one of those quads and when you do the question will no longer be an issue because almost any new quad will put a smile on your face.
One more thing i like to think about when buying a toy is in the future there always seems to come a time when I will sell it. you might want to check out some blue book values of the same model just a couple years older to see if one depreciates more than the other. Alot has to do with popularity. And Honda is more well known than Arctic cat. At least for Atvs I'm not trying to sway you either way, because I can't pass up a deal either. Before I bought the 400ex I have . I was going to buy an 05 predator troy lee for $3000.00 but I missed out on it by 12 hrs. oh well . It was mint condition and owned by a Polaris atv dealer employee . He just need cash fast for some family situation, and it is winter so nobody is riding quads here. I am not very brand loyal as you can see but a deal is a deal.I looked at quads since last September and the 400ex looks to be the right choice. The only thing I don't like on mine is the lack of reverse but the new ones have it and in a couple of years i will sell mine and probably buy a newer used model.
I don't buy new only because they lose value so quickly and if you are patient you can find one in good shape .
Mine is an 03 and the guy who owned it spent two years in Iraq.So it wasn't driven much and he had added upgrades (nerf bars , shock covers, Aftermarket bars etc,)
Like I said earlier you will be happy whatever your choice is .
Happy trails

Hotshoe18
01-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the overflowing imput guys. I would like to state however that from reading the comments left, the only bad thing about the DVX is maby a bit more maintinence and the plastics break easily. If the plastics break, ill buy new ones. If wrenches need turnes, I'll turn em'. I am usualy a honda fan, but I want to try out something diffrent. If I dont like it, I'll just have to deal with it. If it wasent for the huge price diffrence, trust me, I'd go honda.

j450rking
01-20-2007, 04:37 PM
dude get the cat i love honda like the next honda guy but if i had the money and was going to buy a new 400 i would get the dvx but if i were to buy a new wheeler i would get a 450

northwest Texas
01-20-2007, 07:50 PM
You'll be happy with either one, no doubt about that. My point about maintenance was that it is a little easier to do some of the things on the EX i.e. valve adjustment.

Have fun with the DVX.

Hotshoe18
01-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh, I thought you ment the DVX would break down easier. *Phew* thats a load off! LOL. also j450Rking, I would LOVE a 450 but my parents wont let me have one till I'm 16 or so. When I get a 450, I'm going honda all the way though!

j450rking
01-21-2007, 06:42 AM
dude this year the kawi 450 is coming out so when you get old enough i would go with that it's going to be a bad a#$ machine with reverse!!!!!!

j450rking
01-21-2007, 06:43 AM
dude this year the kawi 450 is coming out so when you get old enough i would go with that it's going to be a bad a#$ machine with reverse!!!!!!

how old are you anyway if your not that far from 16 then i would go used

Hotshoe18
01-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I just turned 14. The kawi looks preaty bad from what iv seen. DirtWheels put together a quad simular to what the new kawi was suppost to be and they said it was one bad piece. As for now though, I'll probably just get the DVX TS edition. Im looking foward to the extra power its going to have compared to my 250. Hopefully I can get a HMF slip-on put on there preaty quick. I'v seen where you get HUGE gains off of them and thier preaty cheap.

j450rking
01-21-2007, 10:15 PM
my freind has a 250 and that thing is way slower than a 400 i think you won't need more power for awhile but the hmf dose give great low end

sportraxkid
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I will tell you my honest opinion about both machine's since we have one of each.

The 400ex is reliable quad that is very basic and is air cooled and is a single over head cam etc(Basicly the same designed motor as my 1982 XR500)

The Dvx400 is also a reliable quad but is more complex and up to date it's the same basic design as a 450 except its detuned. It is liquid cooled and dual over head cam and has piggy back resivor shocks etc.

I would go with the Dvx hands down even if I had to pay more money for it. Here are my reason's why
-Liquid cooled(They dont usually have any problems)
-Dual overhead cam
-Better piggyback shocks that have more travel and can be reworked and perform as good as alot of aftermarkets
-The NEWER one's have just as strong as frame's as the ex's
-It alot more firmer and better looking seat then the z or ex
-Has less heating problem's and responds better to big bore kit's
-rev's quicker and is has a more exciting powerband

If you drop a gear on the front sprocket, get a full pipe, rev box, K&N with outwears, Remove lid, and rejet you it feels like a new machine on the dvx.

The only problem that I have found with the dvx's is there fender's and that can be solved easy. There is a little round plastic peice on the bottom of each fender that the fender brace mounts to. All you have to do is put a rubber bumper on the top of the fender brace and just let the fender rid on top of them they are small fender's and dont flop around at all.

The ex will probley run longer if your going to do nothing but ride it and poorly maintain it. If you properly maintain(change oil and clean filter often) the dvx will last for years with no problems.

This is my true opinion and I am a die hard honda fan. I know how reliable honda's are and loved my 400ex until I wanted more power and put the 440 kit, cam, etc. on it and started having alot of problems like overheating because I mostly ride sand in the hot desert . But the dvx is a great bike suzuki built one hell of a motor with the z400 they have proven themselve's to be great motor I doubt kawasaki and arctic cat would have used there product if they wern't. This is another reason why parts are just as abundant as the ex's.

Im done, you can argue all you want but but im not brand based, I have both of them and know what both machine's are and what they can do.

sportraxkid
01-21-2007, 11:39 PM
By the way here is a picture of my ex, The dvx is a 04 and is black with green tribal flame grahics. It has polished nerfs, bumper, aluminum gas cap, and a bunch of other polished parts and looks sick.

panteramatt
01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Listen to someone who has owned both and almost EVERY quad out there. The dvx is a far better machine for all the reasons these guys have stated. Im not brand loyal and yes the 400ex is probally the easiest to work on and most reliable but is VERY outdated.

Hotshoe18
01-22-2007, 03:07 PM
sportraxkid, That is some VERY useful info you just posted, probably the best yet. I'm a huge honda fan too but the 400ex is a bit too outdated. When it comes to the 450r, theres nothing like it IMO. They just need to update the 400 and it will be awesome. The DVX sounds like what I'm looking for though due to the extra power and easy ponys from bore kits and other upgrades. By the way, thats a sick looking EX! when I get my DVX, I'm looking to put flat and regular black components and maby splash a little anodized red in with it like some aftermarked red levers and air dams for the reidiator or something like that. Hopefully when I'm done it will look worth a darn. :D

Ruby Soho
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
i got a 400ex because i knew they were very reliable, and fun. ive ridden kfx400's before, and i personally like the 400ex more, just a fun machine. just my .02 cents, hope whatever you end up with you enjoy it as much as i love mine