PDA

View Full Version : Swapping swingarms?

screaminta
01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
I know this has just been discussed, but a little different. I am looking at an 87 frame that has been converted to use an 88/89 swingarm. It has the lower and upper rear motor mounts welded to the frame. My question is that if I wanted to reuse my 86 style swinger can I just put a piece of tubing between the two bearings on the 86? I have access to machine shop tools and was thinking I could the spacer out of some delrin plastic to reduce rusting. What do you all think?

deathman53
01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
it would work to use a piece of pipe, I will be doing that with the frame that is being made for my atc250r mounts are being added for the lower back motor mount , I will be using the lsr +1 I already have. As far reducing the rust in the pivot bolt and collars, taking out the bolt every so often will stop the bolt from seizing, when you put the collars into the swingarm, put water-resistant anti-seize or grease on them. And do the same to the bolt too. The bolts tends to rust into the collars making it so hard to get the bolt out, some say to turn the bolt, but most of the time, you are only turning the collars.