PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein shocks soon for ATV's

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Here is a picture from elsewhere on the site of a 450r with prototype Bilstein shocks.

Come August when I get my new ride this suspension setup will be on the front!!

TPR

atvridernc
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I dont think your picture worked.

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
No, the link works fine, I just forgot to add it:ermm:

rollie
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
i dont think i want to know how much those are worth

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
They will be a lot less than you think.

I have seen non rezzi Bilsteins online for rhinos, all 4 for less than 1500.

One place even has them for $1295.

TPR

dariusld
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
They will be a lot less than you think.

I have seen non rezzi Bilsteins online for rhinos, all 4 for less than 1500.

One place even has them for $1295.

TPR

I was thinking less.;) Wishful thinking:D

313racing
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
They look sweet but only single rate? Kinda stupid do to all that R&D and not put atleast dual or a triple rate. I'm ok, i'm sticking with my new Fox shocks they just re-worked them for 2007 and im one the first bunch to have them so we will see how they work.

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
If you consider that Bilstein has been making off road shocks for longer than pretty much anyone (I think even longer than Fox) the fact that their Rhino Shocks are less than the competition by a lot is an awesome deal.

Are they going to be $500/pr for what is pictured??? Probably not but I suspect they will come in less than Elka et. al. Personally I can't wait for these to be available when I get my new quad.

That whole suspension system will reside on whatever quad I end up getting this August

TPR

313racing
01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Very good point, i see where your coming from but remember it's going to be their first year dealing with a shock that needs to be up to par that with stand a pure beating .
From seeing Fox's at work there damn good, can't wait to throw them on the quad.

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 05:00 PM
With their rep they are making sure to get these things right. As I understand it, they have been working on them for a year or 2 and on a variety of vehicles from 450's to Renegades to Rhinos.

They will be the one's to get.

TPR

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Here's a video of Bilstein shocks vs. OEM on a Rhino.

http://www.sidebysideracingproducts.com/bilsteins.php

TPR

313racing
01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Lmao, ain't nothing like a good old what and who's better.

Well TPR we are going to have to see how Bilstein's series of shocks are and i have no doubt they will be a good shock. We all buy and prefer one brand over the other because of the freedom of choice. That choice is usually won over how the company makes and presents their product. Between the 2 companies we discussed, I know Fox is a awesome brand and i think Bilstein's series will be one hell of a shock also. If you found any of this to be sarcastic or a "dis", then please don't because i didn't mean anything by it to offend you. There is tons of bashers on here and that's why i left this site for the past year. It's a shame too this site has great info and good members the ones that add advice most professionally as possible.

Thanks TPR,
MDRracing
Cody

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
No not at all. You brought up valid points. As you know there is a small margin for error in this biz and as evidenced by these boards you can be a hero one minute and a goat the next.

I personally know the amount of R&D they have put in with Epic primarily as well as others in order to get these right. They actually make the stock shocks on the Renegade as well.

I'm with you, performance of the product is key, but people never forget bad service no matter how good the product is. I think we will find that Bilstein will be very similar to deal with like Fox. Heck they have been rivals for years in off road and there are very good reasons they are still around.

Like I said, my next quad in August will have an Epic/Bilstein setup. Getting ready to pull the trigger on the Rhino shocks for $1300!!!:D

TPR

313racing
01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I wish i had a RHINO all i got is a golf cart it's still cool enough just 40 MPH slower lol.
What kind of bike do you have in mind?
I'm probly getting the 08 450r next year

rollie
01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Epic is still in buisness? Last i heard they didnt have very good customer service and it was hard to get parts for them, glad to hear there still around, those Bilstein shocks look sick, and im sure they'll preform awsome too,they look heavy though, how do you pronouce Bilstein?

400exrider707
01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
you'd be surprised at what can be done with the single rates if you know what to do internally.

Exactly. Usually more springs on the outside is just making up for the lack of good valving on the inside.....

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Rember these are early prototypes, I think probably one of the first sets on a 450 class quad.

As for weight, as I understand it, the Bilstein's will be lighter than most shocks, and close to the Fox Floats.

400exrider has it exactly right. All springs should do is hold up the quad and return the shock to the extended position.

GIXXER1KR
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah but dont forget about spring crossover rates!!!!!!!!!!!!Ill stick to my Motowoz!!!!And amazing A++ customer service!!!

400exrider707
01-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
Yeah but dont forget about spring crossover rates!!!!!!!!!!!!Ill stick to my Motowoz!!!!And amazing A++ customer service!!!

What does that have to do with it? That is to make the spring progressive... which in turn is making up for not having good progressive valving..

Im not knocking you motowoz shocks at all cause Im sure they're phenominal, but its juts how it goes.

How many springs are there on the motowoz shocks anyways? Im not too familiar with them

TWILES
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I guess I'm a little late in saying this but the shocks on the 450R look like the old White Power shocks from 10 years ago.

Architects
01-18-2007, 01:49 AM
[i]Originally posted by
How many springs are there on the motowoz shocks anyways? Im not too familiar with them [/B]

Last time I checked they had 3 springs. Pretty sweet more companies are getting into atv shocks. Bilstein and ars-fx. Who's next?

ThePhantomRider
01-18-2007, 09:06 AM
To answer some questions, yes Epic is still in business. Their focus lately has been in development with Can-Am as well as race support.

Epic is a small opeation and attempted to model their sales and service support like the other aftermarket companies (FMF, White Bros etc) where issues would be handled with the retailer, they in turn would work with the builder to rectify the situation so there wasn't people comming from 100 different directions but channeled through several main ones. Didn't work out as planned so they have reorganized and have focused more on R&D and race support.

As for looking like White Power shocks, remember these are early, early prototypes and I'm sure they will evolve as time goes on, but when you take into account that Bilstein is to the shock industry as Ford or GM is to the auto industry, they are a giant, able to create the best products for a given segment at affordable prices. We are still several months away from seeing the finalized model, but rest assured, from what I hear they are nearly as light as Fox Float's, will work awesome, and come at a reasonable price compared to other top line shocks.

TPR

ThePhantomRider
01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
As for Motowoz, that is a great shock. I was around when they were testing the generation 1 shocks and I know first hand they did a lot of R&D for a company that was operated out of Jessie's garage. Sad it was destroyed during our wildfires in 03, but I'm glad someone picked up the torch and has moved forward with it.

Also, like Motowoz and Fox, expect Bilstein to have great customer service as well, as most on the forums can attest, service is hugely important in the shock market.

TPR

rlplive
01-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by rollie
Epic is still in buisness? Last i heard they didnt have very good customer service and it was hard to get parts for them, glad to hear there still around, those Bilstein shocks look sick, and im sure they'll preform awsome too,they look heavy though, how do you pronouce Bilstein?
I pronounce it billsteen but not sure if that's right

GIXXER1KR
01-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Phantom are you a Rep trying to get out a new product???i just never seen u post in here and now all i see is you posting about new Bilsteins???And the Motowoz are triple rate fronts with dual rate rears!!!

313racing
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
LOL maybe he is a rep. or just a fan of Bilstein either way i think he has plenty of knowledge both with Epic and Bilstein a little weird but it's still cool.

Thanks,
MDRracing
Cody

04TRX400EX
01-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by rlplive
I pronounce it billsteen but not sure if that's right

Yes, that is how it's pronounced.

dist5mxer
01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
whats the sight for the shocks?

ThePhantomRider
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
No I am not a rep for anyone, though my extended family operates Epic, I myself work in the insurance industry.

You'll not find anything about the atv shocks yet on Bilstein's site but if you go there you will see the sheer amount of suspension applications they have developed.

And no, I am not new, I just used to have a different screen name that I changed in order to mimic the screen name I go by everywhere else.

You'll find me listed on other ATV sites as simply TPR.

TPR

pudamac12
01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
so welcome back "TBD"

Colby@C&DRacing
01-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I think you are mistaking TBD for MR Blue Hair

ThePhantomRider
01-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by pudamac12
so welcome back "TBD"

Woah....I am not TBD..... That's Tim formerly of Timmy Boy Designs. He has not been associated with Epic for years and has worked on numerous projects with other suspension manufacturers on projects and he is still on this site from time to time.

TPR

pudamac12
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
oh my mistake then. A lot of your posts seemed familiar to his posting and you said your name was similar to your other one so just threw a guess out there