PDA

View Full Version : lightened flywheel

parts eeter
01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I was trying to bust a step up jump the other day and I couldnt get my revs up quick enuff to pop off of the face,so I am thinking of installing a lightweight flywheel to add some revs.The cam,piston,pipe helped alot but it still doesnt rev quick enuff.Has anybody done this mod???Pros and cons appreciated.Thanx guys

01-17-2007, 09:11 AM
You can have your stock fly wheel lightend for $40. It will help shoot you out of the turns faster. Only bad is it can stall easier so you will have to use teh clutch more to keep it from stalling when you get in tight areas.

blown331
01-17-2007, 09:19 AM
less rotational mass, better off the line, harder on clutches at low speed

may cause chattering if not machined right... if someone makes one aftermarket id go that route

parts eeter
01-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I found them on ebay already lightened for 160 bux shipped.I would much rather pay 40 bux to get it done if I can find a good company to do it.Hook me up with the place or places to get this done.It sounds like its all good so I want to do mine.Thanx

tencentsshy
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I had a local machine shop lighten mine 11.46 ounces when it was just a 406 with light porting and the old style stage 2 hotcam. I installed it at the same time as the curtis sparks timing advance key, so I don't know exactly how much just the flywheel helped. I do know I can corner and rev alot quicker, so I am glad I did it. The only downsides were easier to stall, and more clutching, but once you clutch it it revs right on up. And make sure you try to get it balanced again after they lighten it, or you will have some vibration issues.

parts eeter
01-18-2007, 06:30 AM
The ones I found are lightened 8 oz and rebalanced.I think I may go with this one because I do ride alot of woods and I just want it a little bit more responsive.It sounds like you went the mx route and went all out .Sounds like your quad runs great,but I am still a little more conservative in my old age so I believe the 8oz will work just fine.I also dont want any down time at all so another bolt in flywheel will work better 4 me.Thanks for your help guys....Much appreciated