PDA

View Full Version : what to do, keep 450r fronts?

QuadRacer18
01-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Ok, i just got a set of 06' 450r front shocks brand new on a trade, my question is, should i keep them and bolt them to my 400ex(already has +2+1 houser a-arms, +2lsr axle, +1 duncan stem etc..) or should i sell them and buy a set of works shocks with the money, i wouldnt have any extra cash to spare and would only use the cash i get for the sale of the 450 shocks. Would works without rezzies be better or keep the 450 shocks, same with works with rezzies? Please let me know, I dont think ill revalve or respring the 450 shocks if i keep them and the ride height with the 450 shocks is a concern, i race MX by the way any input would be appreciated.

p.s. could you guys post up some pics of 450r shocks on 400ex's with +2 a-arms, im trying to grasp what height im looking at.

Pappy
01-17-2007, 07:47 AM
send them to one of the builders and have them set up for you. IMO far better then standard works!

QuadRacer18
01-17-2007, 08:28 AM
i wont have the money to get them revalved and resprung, are the stock form 450 shocks still better than works shocks or no?

Pappy
01-17-2007, 08:30 AM
it depends on your weight and riding ability. for a light rider the set up will be inadequte in stock form, but each rider will have to judge for themself.

trading off for a set of used shocks will more then likely land you with a set of shocks that will also need to be properly set up. having a half azzed set up is pointless no matter what you use. save up for the best suspension you can, its the most important part of the quad!

QuadRacer18
01-17-2007, 08:43 AM
thanks pappy, I race d6 MX, I just had to sell my PEP's for the 450 shocks and i got cash to rebuild my topend(putting in a 426 11:1 comp.) I didnt want to sell the PEPs but im low on money and its pointless having aftermarket parts on the quad if it doesnt run.

So Im running +2+1 houser a-arms, i weigh about 150 lbs and im 6' tall. Aggresive MX B-class rider, do you think for now these will work well stock? If i adjust the preload i can get the bike to sit pretty good for mx, right? if you have any pics of stock 450 shocks on +2 a-arms id aprreciate you posting them, im worried the bike will sit to high. Would you also reccomend that i get them resprung and valved for my weight when i have the money rather than buying pep's or elka again or do they still not perform as well.... sorry for all the questions!

jmccary
01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I have a very similar set up (+2's) and I put on a set of 450r shocks early last season. They did great but after about the 8th race, they were all but gone. I'm about 175 lbs. I plan to have them rebuilt in the next week or two but haven't decided where to send them just yet. If you are not too heavy on them, you can get a few races in on them in stock form. They will probably ride just a little bit high but for the $$$ it's worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

Pappy
01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
If your running B class you will not benefit without having the shocks redone.

The picture above and this one are rebuilt R shocks on +2 arms

Your going to have to come to the realization that your going to give up a few things if you cant afford suspension. Having your cake and eating it to means having some cake to start with.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Pappy is right. Sure you can bolt them on and they will work but not very well. To benefit from switching to the 450r shocks they need to be reworked to function correctly with your setup.