PDA

View Full Version : Stock A-Arms-Aftermarket shocks?

ccmuscle22
01-17-2007, 12:18 AM
I have a 05' z400. Complte stock exept for bars, nerf bars. I'm a heavy rider(competitive bodybuilder) and want to know, is it of benefit to get aftermarket shocks and put them into the stock A-Arms? The stock z400 shocks are set for riders between 150-175lbs. I'm around 235 lean pounds?
Second-will the aftermarket shock be able to fit into a +2 a-arms once I decide to spend the money, or will I have to buy another set of front shocks?

duke416ex
01-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Aftermarket shocks will work fine on stock arms. You might want to look into having the stockers resprung and valved to work for your weight and save some money. You will have to talk to a shock builder about the +2 arms, if you just run regular travel arms that use the same length shock they will work, but will need to be revalved. If you go long travel or need a different length shock, it might be cheaper to sell them and buy different shocks, but it is best to talk to someone who redoes them to compare the prices.

KingpinsEx
01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I would defeintity recommend getting a set of aftermarket shocks for your machine, i feel that they are the BIGGEST improvement you can make to your quad. After riding on stockers a decent aftermarket shock will amaze you. So much of a smoother ride espically if your aggressive. You prolly would be fine with a minimal adjustablity, affordable aftermarket shock around the 600 dollar range.

Depending on what kind of riding you do the extended a-arms might not be needed unless you plan on racing mx. For trails your stockers should do fine and you might want to look into getting your rear shock rebuilt to go along if you do get some new fronts! Some good brands to look at are Elka, PEP, Axis, and TCS. I would stay away from brands like Works...

ccmuscle22
01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for your help. It gets very expensive. I can handle $600 right now versus $1500 range for complete front system.