PDA

View Full Version : brake pads wearing to fast

Grant Casey
01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
well i got sum new brake pads not even 1 month ago and they have neally worn down to the metal, thinking in to a new disk and sum better brake pads

01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Most disks on quads have holes drilled all over in them. Well them holes wear the pads down fast. A solid roter would meke the pads last longer but the disk will get hotter but cory ellis runs a solid disk so must not be bad.

Stock break pads are the best. After market pads wear out faster. Also if your running in mud and watter your pads will be gone in no time.

Sjorge450R
01-17-2007, 06:52 AM
EBC Sintered Metel pads. I had them on my 300ex for over a year. They still have over 1/2 there life after about 20 races and im not easy on front brakes.

L.Vegas400
01-18-2007, 05:20 AM
the best way ive found to keep pads in great shape for the longest time possible is to not use them.

ive also heard stockers last longer than after market. even though they are a touch more money, over time the logevity will save dollars

atvrider23054
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
do you have the e-brake block off plate? If not that helps a lot and its only like $12

woodsman250r
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by atvrider23054
do you have the e-brake block off plate? If not that helps a lot and its only like $12

Could you please explain your theory on how a block off plate helps increase pad life???

But the other people are right about the solid rotors. That might be worth trying. Also the stock brake pads will wear the best but are a bit more expensive. However I would rather buy stuff that lasts rather than cheap stuff that wears out quick.

400exrider707
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
It could be a number of things.... Your riding area (mud/sand/water?) your riding style...also you could have a bent rotor.. or a stuck caliper.

the Z Man
01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
250x,300ex and 400ex has these problems. I learned to get the Sintered pads for a Raptor, lasts alot longer, be sure your parking break is not dragging and that your axle spins freely without brake drag, also bent rotor could do this, or be sure that when you are riding you are not mistakenly hitting your brake...

atvrider23054
01-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Could you please explain your theory on how a block off plate helps increase pad life???

But the other people are right about the solid rotors. That might be worth trying. Also the stock brake pads will wear the best but are a bit more expensive. However I would rather buy stuff that lasts rather than cheap stuff that wears out quick.

Because the parking brake wears the pads away more and there could be some things wrong with the parking brake that would wear out the pads more. O and I just did a search and found this http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266857&highlight=parking+break+block+off

KingpinsEx
01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Definetly depends on your riding conditions...I put a new set on my 400ex right before a weekend on riding and had them nearly worn out a week later! My disc was fine and i was using cheaper aftermarket pads but the real problem i believe was all the mud i was riding in. I don't usually do it that often but this weekend I was hardly out of it and it sucked the life out of those pads. So i try to stick to drier terrian now....too costly otherwise!!

deathman53
01-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I had rear pads last me 2 days, while the fronts are still good 2 years later. It depends what you ride in. If you ride in mud, wet sand, or that concrete like mud/sand/water mix, say good bye to your rear pads. If you ride in dry conditions, your pads will last you awhile. Wave rotors are alot better at cleaning out than stock drilled rotors. I have used solid rotors too, but found they caused the axle lock nut/anti-fade to loosen. Your rear pads are gonna wear alot faster than the fronts, as the rears are dragging through the muds and stuff, the fronts are mostly protected inside the rim.

The type of pad will vary too. A carbon pad will brake very good, but you will wear it out in no time. Sinered pads are tough, tend not to brake good, and tend to eat up your rotor, but last awhile through mud and such. The stock pads(honda) are somewhat between the two, they brake good, and last awhile. I changed the stock pads on my 01 xr250r once, the rears were shot and the fronts were about half worn. I replaced them with stock pads, 3 years later, they are about 80%.

As other meantioned, take your calipers off, pull out the slider, clean it with a wire wheel and put grease inside the caliper and on the slider, that will increase life, as the brakes won't drag so much. New pads especailly w/ new rotor will drag some, untill about a mile of riding, this is normal.

How much you use the breaks/which brakes have a big effect too. If you are heavy on the brakes and lock-up the rear, and not touching the front, don't expect rear pads to last long. The front brakes will stop you alot faster and with more control than the rear brakes. I mainly use the front brakes, the rears are rarely used.

I learned to use the front brakes mostly and not lock them up, braking is better/more controled and pad wear is less. When heavy braking is needed, I will hold the fronts steady and tap rear till the rear slides, then soften the rear. This gives you controlled very effective braking. I learned this from years of mountain biking, the front brakes are far more effective than the rear, w/ more control also. There is more factors involved w/ body position and terrain types, but same principle.

The fine line, is that you need to learn the balance. Too much front brake will send you over the bars and too much rear will send you skidding out of control. Same principle applies to atvs/dirtbikes. When you use the brakes in your car/truck, its roughly 70% front and 30% rear brake, there must be a reason for them to follow the same principle.

j450rking
01-28-2007, 03:18 PM
if you have the cash get a set of wave rotors and sintered ebc brake pads thats the pad i use and have never had a problum

balls2da-wall
01-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I go through rear pads like candy...front pads usually last about half a year for me.