PDA

View Full Version : building a cross country R

the glassman
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok ive decided to keep my r and set it up for cross country racing.
Ive been lookin around on hear for a while and keep reading about all these mods like cr500 rear links, cr 250 parts, no link rears and other such mods im not sure what i should do to mine.

im not sure what i need to start out with but my first purchase will be suspension ofcourse.

I know that if i throw a bunch of cash at the bike i can just buy a bunch of parts and go from there, but money is not that plentifull around here so anything i can adapt or modify would be prefured

Im not a pro level rider by any means so i cant justify spending 10,000 dollars on a mean a@@ quad yet, im just a 36 year old beginer.:rolleyes: :)

anythoughts....eddie

250r rider 88
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
low to mid range pipe i recommend ESR TRX 6 i have one excellent provides an awesome lowend mid range powerband with tons of power and torque on hand...xc tires..holeshot hds and gnccs are nice havent used them myself but riding buddies have and swear by them over the last year i noticed i wish i had more fuel capacity for woods so im upgrading to a clarke 4 gallon tnak this winter, porting on your next rebuild talk to c-leigh on this site..skid plates are a must, and some handgaurds always check ebay for parts just my 2 cents

CorvetteZ06
01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree with 250r rider 88, a nice low end exhaust, some good xc tires all around, and skid plates are a must, also some differnt gearing is an easy and cheap way to get more low to mid power. Then get your self some good shocks. after that, then get your motor ported. its better to have a R that handles well and gets good traction, then you can work on adding the horse power. after all, whats the use of a fast motor when the quad can't handle it. Goodluck!:D

Rich250RRacer
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Bottom end exhaust is nice in the tight woods, but if the XC tracks you ride are anything like the GNCC tracks or the locals around me, which are getting faster and wider with big open field sections and maybe some motocross, then the bottom end exhaust is going to hurt you. The low end pipes rarely pull past mid-range and you'll find yourself short shifting (which I hate) and getting smoked in the fields by the 450's and bigger bore quads. If you can get somebdy to port it PROPERLY, you'd be amazed at what a stock pipe can do in XC. I've always run a stock pipe on my GNCC quad, and would kill R's with bottom end pipes in those big open areas, plus they pull pretty good off the bottom too. Everybody's preference and riding style are different, but this set-up put me in the top five for the season in Vet class quite a few times.

A few pics of my GNCC 250R
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/pfae7166d87af9d7ed257e8a139487e41/f5fb97a5.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p92613096860e7e920d5dd4b542480c58/ef8a8f5a.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p5615ee70f36cf1e52348d550d2bd2c40/ef8a8f61.jpg

the glassman
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Ive been to a few CC races here in TX and OK and they all seem to be some woods, long open field sections and partial moto cross tracks. I had a 400ex that was mildly built and Im 6'4" about 250lbs so my friends say that when i ride with them i seem to be able to manhandle the bike:D . I raced mx for a few years so jumping is definately not a problem and im an aggressive ride, I believe in will over skill :D lol. When you dont have skill you Will your way to win.:p ..