PDA

View Full Version : WRX vs GSX vs STi vs EVO

Rider-trx_250ex
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Alright now I'm debating on getting one of these cars, note that this will be the first car my parents and I are going to buy together, so my first big purchase of my life. Now I'm not looking to spend more than 14,000 on one of these cars. So IMO the GSX would be best price wise. My question to you is which car's overall performance is better. Also which car is most reliable, don't bother mentioning crankwalk on GSXs because it's less than it's hyped up to be. And the last question is which car has the most potential with mods? Now I'm not going to be racing on the streets or stuff like that but I want a car that has some muscle to it(well, enough muscle for a 4 cylinder anyway) and handles well, that's why all my choices are AWD. The Evo is more than likely not going to be one of my choices because of the high price tag, but if it is good and I can find a nice one for cheap, then I'll consider it.

Edit: The GSX I'm reffereing to is the 2GB, by the way.

EDIT : I'm pretty sure that my selection has been narrowed down to the GSX and the WRX , so only comments on those two cars for now on. Thanks a lot for the other input.

idro
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
good luck even on the GSX. You'll pay close to 20 for one, and then probably need a turbo rebuild. Not to mention, good luck in finding them. The ones for sale are going to be low miles, and heavily modded... I'm willing to bet

If you wanted an eclipse a GST would be easier to find. But w/o having the 4G motor it would more than likely be high mileage and pretty damn close to breaking down.

You'll probably right in line for 14k for a low yr model 2000 WRX turbo banger w/ high miles...

Rider-trx_250ex
01-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by idro
good luck even on the GSX. You'll pay close to 20 for one, and then probably need a turbo rebuild. Not to mention, good luck in finding them. The ones for sale are going to be low miles, and heavily modded... I'm willing to bet

If you wanted an eclipse a GST would be easier to find. But w/o having the 4G motor it would more than likely be high mileage and pretty damn close to breaking down.

You'll probably right in line for 14k for a low yr model 2000 WRX turbo banger w/ high miles...

20! No way, maybe high 15 asking price for an immaculate one, but that is in and around my area. And all GSTs have the 4G motor.

MOFO
01-16-2007, 07:40 PM
LMFAO!

$20k for a GSX!?!?!?

idro
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
20! No way, maybe high 15s for an immaculate one, but that is in and around my area. And all GSTs have the 4G motor.

eh i guess, GL finding one tho. All the ones i have seen for sale are rediculously priced.

but you say you want an AWD car only just for handling. Just because its AWD doesnt mean it handles good. w/ 14k you could get something cheap that handles really good, and have money to mod it. Look into s13 and s14 model 240's. Those handle really good, can get them cheap and do a Sr20 motor swap.

Just giving you opinions/options but for 14k im not seeing you driving a impreza or lancer, sorry man :(

MXRACER86
01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
LMFAO!

$20k for a GSX!?!?!?

LOL exactly what I was thinking! there is a stock GSX by me for sale mint with 60,000 miles for $6000 lol

firefighterjosh
01-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I would say EVO or STI. I love the STI's so I voted for it.

My favorite car would be a Skyline GTR but there a little pricy

Smokin 440
01-17-2007, 12:09 AM
You won't find an Evo or especially an STi in your price range... When i was looking at STi's a year or so ago an 04 was usually around 25k+ now when I was looking more recently they are still that high. With an Evo you will be in 20k for the average used one, but I found one with a clean title that needed 2k in body work for 10k a few months ago so maybe you could find something like that...

Villageidiott23
01-17-2007, 06:09 AM
not to bust it up man but the one guy was right. just becuz its awd doesnt mean will handle well. the weight dist. of the car has to be considered to. a turbo charged vw bug can handle well cuz its a 50 50 weight dist. you got 14 g to work with why not considered a earlier honda S 2000. high revving and handles like its on rails.....

Raptor68
01-17-2007, 06:22 AM

Like others have said, NO WAY will you or should you come close to spending 20K on a GSX...lmao...10K tops!

01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
The STI wasn't made until 2004 so you're not going to touch one of those for anywhere near $14K. In my opinion, the STI is the best sports car for the money. Here is mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/briansgi/P1000471.jpg

jesshamner
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Kyle, that is a great looking STi. And you're right, he's not going to find an STi in his pricerange. Same goes for the Evo. So you're down to the WRX and the GSX kid. If it were me, I would pick the WRX over the GSX.

If you do splurge and get the STi or Evo, they are both great cars. I've always heard that you can get good results cheaper with the Evo. I'm not sure how true that is but both cars will offer speed and handling. They both seem to be pretty reliable too.

The reliablilty on the GSX is questionable although some have had no problems with proper maintanence.

Besides, the eclipse is a girls car. lol:blah:

N300exJ
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
The best car out of that group is the EVO hands down....

anything else is a waste of time

idro
01-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
Like others have said, NO WAY will you or should you come close to spending 20K on a GSX...lmao...10K tops!

read what i said, the 2 i have seen local were heavily modded and the owners wanted over 15k for them. Read the first 2 lines of text i wrote.

I know mods do not add value to a car, but you get some guy who has paid reworked turbos and a motor/tranny swap he will be wanting some of that money back.

And believe me, tranny/motor swaps run into 10g's+.

I never once said a stock everyday grocery getter gsx with 100k+ miles would run you up near 20k.

Rider-trx_250ex
01-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Here is what I'm thinking as of now. The GSX would be the best for me because they are somewhat cheaper than the others. Modding them is cheaper too compared to a subie. With bolt on mods you can get more out of a GSX than a subaru without going inside the engine. And last from what I heard GSXs require a bit more maintance than anotehr car but if all is done properly they can be very reliable. Again that last statement about them requiring a bit more maintance than another car is from what I've heard from DSMtuners and some from other people.

Raptor68
01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
read what i said, the 2 i have seen local were heavily modded and the owners wanted over 15k for them. Read the first 2 lines of text i wrote.

I know mods do not add value to a car, but you get some guy who has paid reworked turbos and a motor/tranny swap he will be wanting some of that money back.

And believe me, tranny/motor swaps run into 10g's+.

I never once said a stock everyday grocery getter gsx with 100k+ miles would run you up near 20k.

Haha you're just making yourself sound even less intelligent my friend.

stalefish_132
01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
if it was me I'd stick to the 2G DSM, GSX/TSi's are awesome cars, if you can find one in good cond. then they are reliable vs. 17 year old johnny race boy who doesn't even know how to change oil or that the oil should be changed. my mom bought a '95 talon TSi awd with 186,xxxk in mint shape from the origonal owner for $7500 CDN. it vary's on where you live but there are soem good ones out there.

i've never been a fan of the STI's, at the end of the day they still are a 4 door sedan:ermm:

stalefish_132
01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
if it was me I'd stick to the 2G DSM, GSX/TSi's are awesome cars, if you can find one in good cond. then they are reliable vs. 17 year old johnny race boy who doesn't even know how to change oil or that the oil should be changed. my mom bought a '95 talon TSi awd with 186,xxxk in mint shape from the origonal owner for $7500 CDN. it vary's on where you live but there are soem good ones out there.

i've never been a fan of the WRX/STI, at the end of the day they still are a 4 door sedan:ermm:

idro
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
Haha you're just making yourself sound even less intelligent my friend.

If you say so.

Go ahead and buy that 6k eclipse. Then after it breaks down and get the repair bill.... he'll see im right. We've all come to the conclusion that they are big peices of *****.

Rider-trx_250ex
01-17-2007, 08:08 PM
This was on one of my other posts I found from last year.

"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Architects
"If your DSM ain't broke you are." I wouldnt say theses are the most reliable motors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This quote may be true to some extent. But, DSm's are reliable if proper maintenance is done. Many people buy these cars, and immediantly skip all the maintenance stuff like replacing hoses and belts, and start to mod. This is when stuff breaks and DSm's get a bad rep. Keep in mind these cars are at least 7 years old and most have alot of miles."

-Whiteflash

stalefish_132
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
If you say so.

Go ahead and buy that 6k eclipse. Then after it breaks down and get the repair bill.... he'll see im right. We've all come to the conclusion that they are big peices of *****.

oh ok they are POS's now so i should just go and drive mine off a cliff, i'll get right on that;)

i don't care what kind of car you have if you don't do regular maintenance on it you WILL have alto fo problems with it. if you have half a brain you could keep a DSM in good shape, simple things liek replacing the timming belt every 60K so it doesn't bend all 16 valves. (had that happen few years back doing 65 while on my way home to change the belt).

don't come on here and start bashing peoples cars, if you don't like 'em go ahead. for a somone who doesn't want to spend alot a GSX/TSi is a good starter car, if they like it thats all that matters.

my '95 TSi

400eXr1d3rZ
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
A broken Chevy Nova. Get a GTI :p

firefighterjosh
01-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Sorry to say but Ecplipse's are junk IMO. My friend had one and he only put a exhaulst on it and he had all kinds of head gasket and vavle problems. He did do his mateince. Now he has a Civic even though I hate civics it outlasted the eclipse by far.

My grandma also had a eclipse about 4 years ago and it was POS too.

Yea those cars are cheaper but if you buy a STI it will be faster stock then most of those cares hopped up with some bolt ons.

Like I said this is just my opinion.

Rastus
01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Just judging by you saying this will be your first big purchase, I hope you're not 15. If you're 15 and haven't had a car before, then you shouldn't spend so much money on a car you'll likely wreck anyways. Trust me, I've seen it happen a million times.

But if you're older and you have been driving for awhile, then buy whatever you want (An '02 Firebird is more my style, but out of your list I'd pick the EVO.)
Just keep in mind that insurance will rape you for a car like you're looking at, unless you're over 25, etc. ( If you're over 25 you probably wouldn't need your parents help. ;) )

Dannys440
01-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Why not look for a 3000GT in good shape? I dont see them around here but i can just about bet they are in other places. I dont see why they would cost that much, yes they are older, most with high miles but i bet you can find some mods for them. Idk im a V-8 man myself even though I drive a 4cyl Toyota(anybody know where i can get parts for it?).

jesshamner
01-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Rastus
Just judging by you saying this will be your first big purchase, I hope you're not 15. If you're 15 and haven't had a car before, then you shouldn't spend so much money on a car you'll likely wreck anyways. Trust me, I've seen it happen a million times.

But if you're older and you have been driving for awhile, then buy whatever you want (An '02 Firebird is more my style, but out of your list I'd pick the EVO.)
Just keep in mind that insurance will rape you for a car like you're looking at, unless you're over 25, etc. ( If you're over 25 you probably wouldn't need your parents help. ;) )

Actually, that is good advice that should have been brought up earlier.

So you should probably just buy the DSM so if you wreck it, you won't be out a bunch of money.

ATV Chic
01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Sorry to say but Ecplipse's are junk IMO. My friend had one and he only put a exhaulst on it and he had all kinds of head gasket and vavle problems. He did do his mateince. Now he has a Civic even though I hate civics it outlasted the eclipse by far.

My grandma also had a eclipse about 4 years ago and it was POS too.

Yea those cars are cheaper but if you buy a STI it will be faster stock then most of those cares hopped up with some bolt ons.

Like I said this is just my opinion.

I bought my 97' eclipse in 99' and have run the absolute dog chit out of it ( i'm a hard agressive driver) and it has now alomost 118K on her and she drives just as strong as she did when i first got her. NO problems! Best car ever! :macho

downeyballz
01-18-2007, 08:43 AM
14k could build a 500+hp, 10sec, honda easily (integra/ civic) and would still be more reliable than a stock dsm.

but if you looking for sti's or evo's, you could also find a 350z in that same price range.

01-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Rastus

My 2005 STI's insurance is pretty cheap actually, full coverage and it's around $300 every 6 months. I'm 20 years old but I get good student discount, defensive driving discount, etc. That's the beauty of these cars, at least the STI, it's not classified with my insurance company as a sports car. Got to love those 4 doors!

jesshamner
01-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Kyle_TQRA
My 2005 STI's insurance is pretty cheap actually, full coverage and it's around $300 every 6 months. I'm 20 years old but I get good student discount, defensive driving discount, etc. That's the beauty of these cars, at least the STI, it's not classified with my insurance company as a sports car. Got to love those 4 doors!

So who is your insurance company and what kind of coverage do you have? LOL. Maybe I need to look into that.

Blue_Streak23
01-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I voted for the STI, a really nice car for what u want, but maybe a little too pricy....

yamaha250f
01-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah i had an sti for a few months until my insurance doubled and i got arrested for street racing and i also put 3 sets of tires and 14,000miles on it in about six months so much fun but at the same time it was so freakin hard to drive it like a normal person there was so much hp and tq that you couldnt help but to drive it hard well anyways now im depressed that i dont have it anymore but anyways heres a pic of it

01-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
So who is your insurance company and what kind of coverage do you have? LOL. Maybe I need to look into that.

American National (ANPAC) Not sure if they are nationwide or not. Like I said, I have full coverage. The cool thing about ANPAC (parents have their home, toy hauler, vehicles all with ANPAC) is if you go three years without any claims, they start paying you back 1/4 of your annual premiums back each year. As long as your claim free, they do this every year after that too. My parents got a check a few months ago for around $1000 for being with them for 3 years and being claim free!

http://www.anpac.com/

01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
I voted for the STI, a really nice car for what u want, but maybe a little too pricy....

Too pricy?? No way! It outperforms cars costing over twice as much. Quarter mile in 13 seconds, all wheel drive, 300HP, driver control center differential, in 2004 won Road & Track "Best Car of 2004" award beating out such sports cars as the Porsche 911 GT3! Should I continue??
Most dealerships will not let you test drive one but if you ever get a chance to, DO IT!!!

When I bought mine, the sales guy was very knowledgeable about the STI's. He told me to open one of the doors and push on the side of the car, as in to rock it back and forth. You can't!!!!!!!! I was like, "what the f&ck, what's up with that?" No matter how hard you tried, you cannot push on the car to get it rocking. Simply amazing suspension system these cars have!

I also have alot of respect for the EVO, most shootouts the EVO will outperform the STI but in my opinion, Subaru makes a much better product than Mitsubishi, that is one of the reasons I went with the STI. I love mine, but after I graduate college, it's getting traded in for a new Skyline though!!!

jesshamner
01-18-2007, 02:35 PM
I love mine, but after I graduate college, it's getting traded in for a new Skyline though!!!

I was just reading about that yesterday. It sounds like its going to live up to the legacy it has in Japan. I was scared that they might detune it for North America like they always do. I can't wait to see it. I won't be able to afford it if Sport Compact is accurate on their price estimate. :(

01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't know, $70K for a car that will waste a Z06 and compete quite favorably performance wise with the GT2, but most definitely out handle the GT2, and costing 2 1/2 times less, sounds like a bargain to me! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

jesshamner
01-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Value or not, my pockets aren't that deep. LOL. I'm still trying to figure out a way to pick up the STi, insurance for it, and still have gas money.

gun32boarder
01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't know, $70K for a car that will waste a Z06 and compete quite favorably performance wise with the GT2, but most definitely out handle the GT2, and costing 2 1/2 times less, sounds like a bargain to me! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Haha all you have is a concept on the skyline and already it will out handle a Indy car.

01-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by gun32boarder
Haha all you have is a concept on the skyline and already it will out handle a Indy car.

No longer concept, it's on the track working out last minute bugs:

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/caught-2008-nissan-skyline/

Indy car???? No! I'm referring to Porsche's baddest production 911:

http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/04/0304feat_8.html

gun32boarder
01-20-2007, 09:40 AM
No longer concept, it's on the track working out last minute bugs:

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/caught-2008-nissan-skyline/

Indy car???? No! I'm referring to Porsche's baddest production 911:

http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/04/0304feat_8.html

Again, all you still have is rumors and a concept...Nissan has not come out and officially announced production or even estimated numbers...Hell, even the article you say is fact is based on rumors.

450r51
01-20-2007, 09:46 AM
have you looked at vw?

the 2007 gti won car and drivers best car award and imo looks the best out of the cars you just mentioned, plus it wont be a ricer.

01-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh

My favorite car would be a Skyline GTR but there a little pricy [/B]

It depends on what year your looking for. Most people talk about the R34 so I assume that's what your talking about. You can get an '89 - '93 Skyline GT-R R32 For about $16,000. Right Hand Drive!

On topic-
The best performing vehicle in that list would be the STI, but there a little out of your price range. A GSX would be nice, my buddy's brother has an STI and his other brother has a GSX, so I've driven both. He turbo'd the GSX and it pulls pretty nicely, but it's a street car and turbo'd street cars are pointless IMO unless your in a StreetRacing Club... Which he's not.

trick450r
01-20-2007, 11:50 AM

i would highly dought with equal drivers the skyline would even deserve to race a gt2...and if you think an sti is better driving, handling, accelerating then a gt3 your absolutely out of your god damn mind...nissan does not deserve to park their car next to a 911

01-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
i would highly dought with equal drivers the skyline would even deserve to race a gt2...and if you think an sti is better driving, handling, accelerating then a gt3 your absolutely out of your god damn mind...nissan does not deserve to park their car next to a 911

I beg to differ. Nissan has a great platform with the R34. A skyline can vary well keep up with a GT1 and not fall far behind from the GT2. Considering price differences the R34 is a very worthy vehicle to park next to a GT1 or GT2. If you took the price difference from a R34 and GT2 and put the difference in cash to mods for the R34 the R34 would beat the GT2 in 1/4 mile or Circuit.

PolarisRider06
01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
well i didn't read through everything just a few posts on the first page and thats all.

an STi will be hard to find in your price range but it may be possible.

an Evo should be easy to find cause you never specified which evo your looking for (go find an evo III... lol) but serioulsly my old boss bought an Evo VII for 13 grand that had some aftermarket stuff on it (FMIC, BOV, Wastegate, and i cant remember what else performance wise plus aome interior stuff) he bought it from a guy in washington state and met him halfway between there and fargo, ND. i guess right when the got onto the freeway he put it to the rugs and trew it sideways off of the on ramp at 65 mph onto the freeway.

a GSX should be very easy to find, my friend bought one for 5500 not to long ago that has a different turbo manifold, turbo, wastegate, BOV, electronic boost controller, and a HUGE FMIC done by straight line specialties (where i used to work... see above for bosses car) he blew out the tranny almost right away though because DSM tranny's suck @$$ so if you get a DSM make sure to send out your tranny to shepard racing or a similar company for at least a stage II kit (i think that runs about 1500 if i remember right) and think of it this way, if you get a used GSX for 6 grand and throw 8 grand in performance and handling accessories into it you could easily have a fully built motor with a good suspension setup and a car thats running probably in the 11 second range in the quarter mile ( check out the project cars on StraightLineSpecialties.com and you'll get a good idea what to expect for gains, jeremy's 1G talon awd should be running 9's next summer)

Tater049
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
i like the look of the evo better than the sti but, you can do more to the subaru than the evo. But, all in all, i say evo