PDA

View Full Version : riding with 12% leaking rings?

mansonclubpuir
09-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Well as some of you may know from old posts i seemed to have burned the rings a bit and am now leaking at about 12% acourding to the Honda Tech. I just curious to know if this may create more problems if i continue to ride it. I'm just going crazy without riding it... so what do you all think.

I know i'll just have to check the oil more often and add more often, but i can't afford the 426 kit yet and i'm not going to fix this... and then have to put the kit in. Its just no worth the time or the money right.

let me know what you all think.

rookiex
09-24-2002, 08:05 PM
get them changed or one day you may go out and have no compression like what happend to me......trust me its worth having you ex pull hard again....

09-27-2002, 07:00 PM
bette be safe then sorry

stocktires
09-28-2002, 10:00 PM
dude, rings are only like what, $20-$30?
get new rings, or dont ride

433rd
10-02-2002, 03:37 PM
A leak down test can also show valves that are not sealing correctly as well as the rings. Or, a combination of both.

ridesa02400EX
10-21-2002, 08:01 PM
get rings burnt rings can turn into a bigger problem and they can end up breaking and putting grooves in the cylinder wall and it will cost a **** of a lot of money to fix i havent ridin for three months and it is costing me 1500 bucks to fix it because i thought that it wouldnt be a big deal

TRFOXX
10-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Get it fixed! It will cost you more if you dont. You dont want anything getting down to your bottom end it gets expensive! I know you said moneys a concern but if your tearing it down Id put a new piston in it also, id never just change the rings only.

GoLikeHell
10-22-2002, 08:57 AM
There is a couple different reason for 12% cylinder leakage. One is your rings are worn and need replacing. But will not hurt it to ride.

The other is the piston rings gaps have lined up with each other. This isnt very common but it does happen, your rings all need gaps for expansion. But also your rings are designed to move while the piston goes up and down. While they are moving around the grooves will line up, but they usaully will continue if they are not carboned up.

My advise is: ride it like you stole it! Your going to do engine work anyways, might as well have fun with it. you will not damage anything more then you need to replace or have bored at a later date

Mark

Honda4ooEX
10-22-2002, 12:37 PM
How could you have bad rings on a brand new 2002 400EX? Did you not break it in right? Run it low on oil? My 2000 never used oil and ran perfect. It even ran perfect when I tore it down to do a 416 kit. Isn't it covered my honda?

ridesa02400EX
10-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Honda4ooEX
How could you have bad rings on a brand new 2002 400EX? Did you not break it in right? Run it low on oil? My 2000 never used oil and ran perfect. It even ran perfect when I tore it down to do a 416 kit. Isn't it covered my honda? i dont know exactly how it happend but it could have been i was riding in hella dust earlier that day and i think my air filter might have gotten so dirty that it wouldnt even filter anymore and i think some dirt might have gotten into the motor and when i got home and checked the air filter it was prety dirty and i checked the carb and there was dirt in it

phatswinn
10-22-2002, 08:35 PM
my recon had a good leek and it turned intot he rings breaking and making .25 grinds in the sidwall....change the dam rings