PDA

View Full Version : Jump Basics

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. First off, I live in southeastern Oklahoma and do most of my riding around here. I ride a YFZ450BBW. I have had it about 3 months now and am really getting a good feel for it. I rode quite a bit in my early twenties (I'm 27 now) but the fact that my quad got stolen and I was a broke @$$ college student put a stop to it. Then a little one came along. Now I am really getting back into it. For my question, I have done plenty of jumping on dirt ramps and just whatever I can find and am about ready to hit a metal ramp. Any advise on what is a good way to start as far as speed, gear, distance to attempt, etc?? Any advise would be appreciated.

Any of you guys from this area?? Thanks, JMM

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanksgiving ride in Arkansas. Just wanted to post a picture and didn't know where else to do it.

shano
01-24-2007, 01:44 PM
To hit a metal freestyle ramp takes 2 things, balls and talent. If you come up short on the lander depending where it is, your not gonna be a happy camper... And you should be very comfortable on your quad before even attempting a metal freestyle ramp. Most kick you up wayy high.:)

Rootar
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
i have a video of me going off that ramp at redriver atv at different distances too, that is the ramp you plan on hitting aint it? i was clearing about 25-30 in the top of second on a 400ex and then anything after 30 i was in third BUT a yfz is alot faster and geared taller than my 400 was i dunno if you wanna wait i might come out there for a weekend if i could get a place to bunk up one friday night and ill jump it and let you follow me off of it, but you gotta talk the owner into blading up the landing with his dozer before i come out there. tell him the kid that set the fastest time on the xc course and jumped the freestyle ramp wants to come back out and jump and tell him your wanting to jump it and that the landing needs a little work like last time he and his family came and stayed for a week . ;) i might bring my friend too what the weather look like this weekend and next weekend ??????

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-25-2007, 03:34 PM
If the weather cooperates, that all sounds good to me. So long as I get to ride somewhere this weekend, I'm gonna be happy. Haven't been able to since Christmas. I'll call down there and see if they will fix on their landing too. I started to hit that thing last time I was there, glad I didn't. I didn't figure in getting that kind of distance in second.

rooster300ex
01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Where in arkansas is that?

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Just a trail going up a mountain in around Cleveland. 72030

They pushed up a big dirt pile to keep folks out, you can tell how good it worked. Landing that jump was a bit rough b/c the ramp shot you almost straight up and then you came straight down on a trail that sloped slightly up.

Rootar
01-26-2007, 10:36 PM
here is what not to do lol

Rootar
01-26-2007, 10:39 PM
and here is how its supposed to look, both of these were in second gear on my 400 when i still had it

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Well, the approach was so rough there was no way you could hit the ramp with any confidense of staying straight. The landing was also really really rough. I'm going to try and get them to smooth it out before next time.

Rootar
01-29-2007, 11:57 AM
i cant make it out this weekend i have family coming in from far off and the parents said i have to be here.

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-30-2007, 06:15 AM
No problem, its supposed to be cold anyway and rain wednesday and thursday so it would probably be a mess anyway. Just let me know when you decide you'd like to come down.

stuntman_12
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Where are yall getting these ramps from?

JMM-YFZ450-OK
01-30-2007, 03:04 PM
The ramp in the last two pictures is at Red River ATV park. www.redriveratv.com