PDA

View Full Version : Degree Key????????????????

ATRider
01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a 99' 400ex with a 426 kit in it, whitebrothers all around cam. rev box, slip on e series. I'm going to upgrade to the full exhaust and get a K & N airbox lid. I was wondering how much difference if any would a degree key make?

stvemerz
01-18-2007, 08:44 AM
While I do not have the modifications that you have on your motor...I just installed a Sparks key and the quad is a 2007 400ex...stock..I noticed now, that it fires up the first time...no choke needed and throttle response is very quick...I like the performance it has added for $20.00.....Worth it...but again...stock motor...anything will make it work better...but very snappy throttle response....Easy to install as well..

ATRider
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks...I'm going to look in to that. Where did you buy your degree key from??

81 clark racing
01-18-2007, 09:15 AM
they say to run them only on stock motors becasue of the extra heat it generates. how ever there is a few guys on here runing it with the 416 kit im not to sure about the 426 tho. but ya u order them from curtis sparks racing.

stvemerz
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Curtis Sparks is located in Bakersfield, CA...here is there phone number to help you....661-872-4343...Good luck...It is really easy to change.

BOOSTED2V
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
If you have just a stock motor with bolt ons will it generate more heat or is it just if you have a built motor?

81 clark racing
01-18-2007, 01:12 PM
it generates more heat regardless but if you run it with a 440 for exzample. just the 440 kit is generating alot of heat now u Add the key and your problay going to cause your motor to over heat. but i think you will be fine with a 426. my buddie has a 416 with the key and his is fine riding in 90 degree weather.

ATRider
01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks I think it might be worth a shot. I have recently installed an oversized oil tank (holds 4 quarts). Are there any other cooling tricks you guys know of? I hear you can get a trasmission cooler off a car, only trick is finding one that bolts up, Is there any truth to that???

powerstroke7.3
01-18-2007, 07:22 PM
yes there is a kit you can get from mickey dunlap in which you tap into an oil line in your case cover. then run a line to the trans cooler (being used as a secondary oil cooler) in the front of the bike. next you tap into the vavle cover right above the cam chain and put the return line there. also when you tap your case cover you have to block off the line where it leaves the oil filter. pretty easy

REDRIDDER
02-26-2007, 05:31 AM
STOP DO NOT USE DEGREE KEY ON ANY THING OTHER THAN A STOCK MOTOR WITH A PIPE ONLY MENT FOR STOCK APLACATIONS EVEN CURTIS SPARKS RECOMENDS NOT USING IT ON BIG BORES.I HAD THE KEY ON MY 2003 AND IT ONLY HAS A EDELBROCK CARB AND A WHITEBROTHERS PIPE W/A K&N,I WILL AGREE THAT THE KEY IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE $ BUT IT DOES CAUSE THE ENGINE TO RUN A LITTLE HOTTER,I WOULD DEFFINITLY NOT RUN A DEGREE KEY ON A 426.IF YOUR GONNA RUN A PIPE AND FILTER ON A STOCK MOTOR THE DEGREE KEY WORKS EXCELLENT GIVES IT MORE THROTTLE RESPONCE AND A LITTLE MORE LOW END.

krt400ex
02-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by stvemerz
While I do not have the modifications that you have on your motor...I just installed a Sparks key and the quad is a 2007 400ex...stock..I noticed now, that it fires up the first time...no choke needed and throttle response is very quick...I like the performance it has added for $20.00.....Worth it...but again...stock motor...anything will make it work better...but very snappy throttle response....Easy to install as well..

same thing here. i guess that is why i always wonder when ppl say that their 400EXs never start :p

mine does

400exrider707
02-26-2007, 09:42 AM
First off its not recommended with high compression, its not so much the bore size as it is compression. I wouldn't bother unless all you have is a pipe filter. Definitely do not run it with an aftermarket rev box either!!!

krt400ex
02-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
First off its not recommended with high compression, its not so much the bore size as it is compression. I wouldn't bother unless all you have is a pipe filter. Definitely do not run it with an aftermarket rev box either!!!

the only reason not to run it with a rev box would be if the box changed your timing...if it doesn't then your fine. if your running the WB rev box, then your fine because all it does is give the quad another 1000 RPMs. the reason they recommend not running it with a high comp piston is because of heat...but as long as the quad isn't getting hot, then you are absolutely fine.

my friend owns a performance shop, and he has built numorous 416s, 426s, and 440s with high comp pistons, cams, rev boxes, etc... and he puts the key in every one of them...never had a single problem