PDA

View Full Version : **Rear wheel drive vs. Front wheel drive** which has better handling?

Titanium
01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Im really close to buying an Acura Integra and i've hear mixed oppinions about the handling of front and rear wheel drive cars. What do you guys think?

Architects
01-16-2007, 01:17 PM
RWD. Way more predicatable.

Titanium
01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I figured that front wheel drive would be more predictable because you wouldn't have to worry about the rear end coming around on you.

NacsMXer
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
I figured that front wheel drive would be more predictable because you wouldn't have to worry about the rear end coming around on you.

Anything with a good limited slip differential will handle predictably.

Most FWD cars don't come with good LS differentials or any at all. Under hard acceleration, you get bad torque steer as the power is transferred unequally between the two front tires. This condition is aggravated even more when it is slippery out......the power will be transferred randomly back and forth between each front tire. I know for a fact that Acura Integras do not come with good LS differentials stock, and they are generally prone to all the above characteristics. The only time FWD is better than RWD is in the snow. In a FWD car, you stay on the gas and steer, the car will pull in that direction since the steering wheels are also driving. A RWD vehicle in that situation would be in trouble since its steering wheels would not be able to pull the car in the desired direction, they will "push" on you.

The same goes for RWD vehicles without a good limited slip or none at all. The power gets randomly transferred back and forth to the wheel with the least amount of traction producing a "swapping" sensation in the rear end.

If you put a good LS diff in a vehicle, the power transfer will be more equal between the two tires. It is similar to how predictably a sport quad handles with its solid rear axle. You kick out the rear end, it slides out and comes back predictably. Imagine riding it with the power being swapped back and forth between the two tires....its gonna handle sketchy (most non-performance cars are under this category).

Both have their pros and cons in a variety of driving conditions but having a good limited slip is key. If you don't, all you have is a one wheel drive vehicle that doesn't handle so predictably :p

Titanium
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I c. It all makes sense to me now. Maybe i should look in to a Camaro also:blah: :p

Raptor68
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I have had both RWD ('68 Firebird, '70 Charger) and FWD ('02 Maxima 6spd) cars and both definitely have there +'s and -'s.

RWD
(+) more performance oriented, can use the rear wheels to help steer the car in high performance situations (drifting, power sliding), better weight transfer when accelerating because the weight is shifted over the drive wheels

(-) can spin-out much more easily in ice, snow, and rain

FWD
(+) better in ice and snow than RWD, can still be a blast to drive

(-) most people consider these boring, not ideal for drag racing or any type of racing really

deathman53
01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I usually drive rear wheel drive trucks, when I drive a fwd car, the torque steer drives me nuts. The fwd is far better in the snow/ice.

TheFontMaster
01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
The only time I would want a FWD is for in the snow. But if you know how to handle a RWD you will have no problem in the snow. I was driving my V-8 86 regal in the snow a couple weeks go. Front tires wanted to lock up when I hit the brakes, rear tires alway wanted to start spinning, was sideways half the time. But I could get anywhere I wanted with it ans safely, cause I knew how to drive it.

I would by far start looking into a nice RWD drive car. Especially if you want to start doing any kind of racing.

Plus it just doesn't look right when the smoke is coming off the front tires.:macho

TRX_450
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
rear wheel drive all the way....me and some friends started a rally racing team and ive seen too many wrecks in front wheel drive cars due to not being able to control the rear

rebelbanshee
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Am I the only one who HATES front wheel drive in the snow? As soon as the front tires spin you cant steer, which can be unpleasant. Ill take oversteer over understeer any day of the week.

NacsMXer
01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
Am I the only one who HATES front wheel drive in the snow? As soon as the front tires spin you cant steer, which can be unpleasant. Ill take oversteer over understeer any day of the week.

I know what you mean, the front end can wander from you but you can definitely steer FWD cars in the snow if you need to. I had a 1990 Acura Integra 5 speed back in the day that I used to rally on snowy backroads. When I wanted it to turn I would just gas it and steer in the direction I wanted to go. The wheels are spinning the whole time but the car will still pull since the pivot point is on the rear tires.

idro
01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
It's not the platform that makes the car handle its the car dynamics and car suspension and what not.

You can't expect a Camaro SS or Mustang to handle like a FC or FD RX-7 or anything of the sort.

I really can't think of any famous FWD handling cars tho, so if anyone wants to chime in with that can be my guest. :p

1fst400
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm used to driving rwd vechiles. Have raced go karts for a while to. So its very natural to me.

I riecently started racing FWD cars. OMG,,, I had such a hard time with this one. when the back of the car slips out you have to floor it. As with a rwd you let off and it goes back to normal.

In a front wheel drive, you let off and your going for a ride! I did a number of times before I got it right. All on the race track of corse.

The back end of a fwd car does slip out plenty, Especially when on the brakes going into a corner.

If you know how to drive a fwd car it can pull you out of some bad situations.

firefighterjosh
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
LMAO^^^

Yes a FWD car when the rear end swings out you have to punch it to bring the rear end back.

A rear wheel drive you just let off the gas to save it.

Natural reaction to most people is to hit the brakes.

Rear wheel drive sucks on black ice/snowy patch roads. You will be driving then all of a sudden out goes the rear end.

FWD when you hit the ice ussually it just goes strait.

Project300EX
01-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I didn't read all that, but RWD is better all around. When you loose traction with RWD you can still steer. With front wheel drive when you loose traction what are you going to steer with?

firefighterjosh
01-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Project300EX
I didn't read all that, but RWD is better all around. When you loose traction with RWD you can still steer. With front wheel drive when you loose traction what are you going to steer with?

When I dought floor it. That how you steer:devil:

NacsMXer
01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
When I dought floor it. That how you steer:devil:

My thoughts exactly....you just pin it and point it :devil:

From my experiences 4wd can put you in the scariest of situations that can be difficult to save. If you go into a skid, you try to gas it and steer to save it, but it causes all 4 tires to spin. There's no pivot point in that instance so your vehicle can literally slide at any angle like an air hockey puck :eek: Of course, traction control nowadays helps a ton with that but if you don't have it you're in for a ride.

Titanium
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
**I heard back in like 84 the camaro handled better than the vette at the time. maybe it was 82 i dunno. **

Raptor68
01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
**I heard back in like 84 the camaro handled better than the vette at the time. maybe it was 82 i dunno. **

I do know that the '83 Vette was SOOO chitty that they scrapped production and destoyed all of them except for 1 or 2, one of which is at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. So the Camaro probably did handle better at that time.

byrdman37876
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
I have had both RWD ('68 Firebird, '70 Charger) and FWD ('02 Maxima 6spd) cars and both definitely have there +'s and -'s.

RWD
(+) more performance oriented, can use the rear wheels to help steer the car in high performance situations (drifting, power sliding), better weight transfer when accelerating because the weight is shifted over the drive wheels

(-) can spin-out much more easily in ice, snow, and rain

FWD
(+) better in ice and snow than RWD, can still be a blast to drive

(-) most people consider these boring, not ideal for drag racing or any type of racing really

raptor68 ansered it perfectly. i have driven both.

whiteflash
01-17-2007, 02:04 PM
FWD in snow=Understeering, and nothing to bring the rear around unlike RWD.

TheFontMaster
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
They never made a corvette in 83. The didn't get all the designs, and details for it ready in time for production, so they never made them that year. That was the only year that the corvette wasn't made since it first went into production.

Raptor68
01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
I do know that the '83 Vette was SOOO chitty that they scrapped production and destoyed all of them except for 1 or 2, one of which is at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. So the Camaro probably did handle better at that time.

Originally posted by TheFontMaster
They never made a corvette in 83. The didn't get all the designs, and details for it ready in time for production, so they never made them that year. That was the only year that the corvette wasn't made since it first went into production.

They DID begin making them, but stopped. I HAVE SEEN one in person at the National Corvette Museum.

Taken from web-cars.com...
No 1983 Corvettes were sold. Quality and production problems had delayed introduction of the new C4 generation so 1983 was passed over. 44 1983 cars were assembled. Some were used to sort out production details while others were assigned to engineering evaluation and crash testing. A few were part of a press introduction at Riverside Raceway in California, December 1982.

43 of the 44 1983 C4 Corvettes were destroyed. The one remaining car, number 23 (white), was retired to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY where it is now on display. It is still owned by GM.

TheFontMaster
01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, let me re-phrase myself, they never went into production. :p

And thanks for that little bit of info, I'll be using that tomorrow to piss off my buddy who's a Ford guy:D

y3llow400ex
01-17-2007, 08:59 PM
this is my thought

Titanium
01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
well it looks like i'll be goin to pick up that integra on friday. the reason why im goin 4 cyclinder on everybody is because of gas prices. i would get a rear wheel drive car but they just cant put up a fight with front wheel drive when it comes to gas mileage.Normally i'd go muscle car on everybody but i dont that that money to spend. I also found out today that the car has suspension work done to it. the car sits 2 inches lower in the front and 1 inch in the rear.

Blue_Streak23
01-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I feel FWD gives you better handling on snow/ice, but i would go with a RWD car because they are funnier to drive (burnouts, drifting), and most sports cars are all RWD..

gun32boarder
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
LMAO^^^

Yes a FWD car when the rear end swings out you have to punch it to bring the rear end back.

A rear wheel drive you just let off the gas to save it.

Natural reaction to most people is to hit the brakes.

Rear wheel drive sucks on black ice/snowy patch roads. You will be driving then all of a sudden out goes the rear end.

FWD when you hit the ice ussually it just goes strait.

You do know when driving hard with rwd it is not smart to lift off the throttle if loosing it.

gun32boarder
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Im really close to buying an Acura Integra and i've hear mixed oppinions about the handling of front and rear wheel drive cars. What do you guys think?
You cannot base your decision on how a car handles by whether it is fwd or rwd. Yes a majority of good handling cars are rwd/awd but one of the best fwd cars would be the teg type R. I know you are not getting the type R, but a regular teg is is very easily modified to handle well.

stalefish_132
01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
as for stearing with a FWD, thats what the hand E-break is for;)

Tater049
01-30-2007, 03:34 PM
we personally i like mrear wheel drive. The do nicer burnouts and if the back swings around on you, just let off the gas. My camaro does some sick burnouts, and i would never get a front wheel drive car.