PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Jump

09-24-2002, 09:31 AM
I am fairly new to the 4-wheeler sport, and have a membership to a local Sand track. I have ridden dirtbikes all my life, and street bikes since 16, but I am having a bit of difficulty with jumping the new honda! Can someone give me some tips on how to set up for a jump, and landing a jump? Do you stand? Do you sit?

DarkStarRacing
09-24-2002, 09:38 AM
start small and practice table tops before you start jumping gaps, once you start clearing the table topss move up to the doubles, you definetly want to be standing when you jump and at a good postion try not to lean when your climbing the face of the jump...example, i see people lean foward as there climbing up a jump and it throws them into a nose dive when they come off the lip. if this happens where you begin to feel like your nose diving hit the gas hard, it will bring you up a bit. make sure you don't let off the gas untill your completly off the lip of the jump ir you will nose dive, some guys keep a constant throttle and when you about to land give it some gas so you stiffen the rear shock and won't bottom out as easily..these are just my opinions there may be a better way to jump but this is basically what i do..good luck and practice makes permanace

09-24-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks, I have been attacking table tops, and having some success. My biggest issue is with the landing. Sometimes its hard and my feet almost slip off! I managed to clear a double - although it was a small one. I haven't had any issues let with diving, as I'm always on the gas during the launch. A couple times I landed on the back tires though!

YLW400
09-24-2002, 10:24 AM
If your feet are slipping off, you need to invest in some nerf bars. ASAP. You leg under the tire of a running 400EX could be bad:eek:

DarkStarRacing
09-24-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
Your leg under the tire of a running 400EX could be bad:eek:

yea thats tru :D

09-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Umm.yeah - I've already experienced that!
Pulled me right off the bike - straight into the dirt!
What do nerf bars do?

02exchic
09-24-2002, 11:13 AM
Nerf bars go under, out and around where the foot pegs are. I guess you could say that they fill up the space between the front and back tires. They are like a protection basket for your feet. Keeps them up with the bike instead of off on the ground or under the tires. :huh

09-24-2002, 11:40 AM
I guess they are on the list of things to get.

YZROOSTINYA
09-26-2002, 06:18 AM
you can also"pre-load" or compress the suspension by pushing down the quad as you are on the transition of the jump. stay on the gas and stay centered on the quad. if you come up with the nose in the air grab the front brake and you will notice the bike come back down immediatly. if you are gonna nose dive , grab the throttle and it will level you out. if you land on your back tires its not that big of a deal as long as your not too far back. you can always tap the rear brake to brng the front to the ground if your gonna flip. the prob about land ing on two wheels only is your not using all the suspension at one time so you will hit harder. stay loose and adjust yourself as to where you need to be in the air. absorb the landing with your legs and arms. when you stay on the gas the suspension wants to lift so it sorta counteracts taking a big hit and will prevent bottoming. plus it will make yo faster since you are on the gas right away.

thats pretty much the basics. watch out for doubles. you DONT wanna case out.

the better your suspensuion is the better you can jump

Nausty
09-26-2002, 03:39 PM
do a search in the open forum, there was a thread a week ago where I we went into how to jump.

Derek
09-26-2002, 08:23 PM
NEVER i repeat NEVER hit a jump sitting down!!!!!!!!

Nausty
09-26-2002, 08:34 PM
what do you mean never? If you know what your doing hitting a jump sitting down can save lots of energy in a race and can actually stay in better control in certain situations. But you need to know when and know how the quad reacts.

Derek
09-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Yea nausty your right. But when i hit the 40 footer sitting down i got bucked off. IT HURT!!!

Nausty
09-26-2002, 08:41 PM
lol the video in the video section of that fat lady jumping a motor cycle is why. But if it is something like a drag race to a ski jump and you know how the bike is gonna pivot in the air then thats the time to do it or right out of a low speed berm to a step up or something like that where you have to pitch your nose down anyways.

Derek
09-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Yea i think im going to start practiceing that. I need to learn to bring my nose down. My nose keeps coming up when i jump.

400exBro
09-27-2002, 04:25 PM
ottawa929 i suggest you give splash n dirt a call and order a set of ac pro peg nerf bars, they are out of montreal wihich isn't far from you, their number is in my signature on their web page.
good luck with jumping it is fun once you know how to!!
Bro

Varmit57
10-01-2002, 07:41 PM
You may also want to check out a web site called www.racingsmarter.com there is a directory there that has a boat load of infomation... Most of it is for bikes but still fits in a lot of cases........

10-01-2002, 09:29 PM
First of all, I would tell you to stay within your limits, and get comfortable with your quad. Many injuries happen because people get outside of thier limits. Second, The best advice I ever got was, "Your quad will pretty much do the same thing in the air that it will do on the ground". Giving it gas will bring the front end up just like riding a wheelie, and tapping the back brake will bring the front end down. Try this ride a wheelie, and tap your back brake. You will notice that it will bring your front end right down. Also, use your handlebars to move your quad. Front end too low pull up on them. Too high push down on them. I would reccomend that you always start out jumping standing up, and keep steady on the trottle. If you let off on the throttle on the face of a jump that will for sure make your front end dive. Don't think about it too much. Just go out and start small, and work your way up, and you will get the feel of it.....shooooo
Buy a Huevos video, and watch those guys. They have pretty good form.....ya, pretty good....lol