View Full Version : Fox Evols. Nothing but problems for me. Please help.

mxsam
01-16-2007, 09:43 AM
OK, here's the deal. I've got a 2005 TRX 450r. I was running +2 Alba Arms (Not Long Travel). Now I've got new Laeger Long Travel Arms and Fox EVOLs. Nothing but problems. I race motocross, and the EVOLs don't make it through the moto without horrible fading. They work OK at the start, but a few laps in, they just get really mushy.

I have noticed that they will last much longer if I don't ad much compression damping, but they still fade pretty quick. If I turn the compression clicker to ad damping, they fade very quickly and become very springy.

I also noticed that no matter wether it's first lap (not faded) or last lap (super faded) this front end system (Fox/Laeger) has so much roll into the turns that I have to slow down a lot.

So far, my cheap Alba +2 arms with Elkas worked much better. Does anyone else who has any experience with the EVOL shocks have any ideas of how I can get them to work better than this, or is this all I should expect out of these?

1fst400
01-16-2007, 10:08 AM
what are you running for pressures.

daddio
01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
I would call the tech dept at Fox. They are very helpful.
We have experienced zero fade, even in 100 deg weather.
My kid usually rides 3 mx classes and is a fast intermediate rider, and he goes so fast into the corners, that getting the brakes to hold up, was my biggest problem.

Maybe you have an air pocket in the oil, and they need to be rebuilt.

mxsam
01-16-2007, 12:20 PM
That sounds good. Maybe a rebuild will do the trick. They're brand new, but I know sometimes assemby doesn't always go the same. Maybe the new guy put mine together, or the phone range during the process. I was talking to a local pro out here after I first put them on and he (sponsored by Fox) said that the fading issue was just part of the deal. He said his have a big problem with fading too. He is the one that suggested that I don't use very much compression damping. That does seem to help some. I'll look into a rebuild. I'm guessing they may even do it for free. Thanks for the help.

mxsam
01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
what are you running for pressures.

I'm running about 190 now. anything less and they're way too soft after they start to fade. I've triied them at 150, 160, 180. 190. 200. What I can't understand is how there is still so much roll even at 200.

dober250R
01-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Something sounds way wrong here. I don't think they could sell a product if they are as bad as what you're making them sound to be. Either a seal is blown out, or they were set up wrong, something is wrong....... Good luck. I'm buying an evol/Laeger's set up here within the next couple weeks. I'll post up a response to this thread as soon as I get some seat time.

Pappy
01-17-2007, 07:06 AM
I wouldnt ditch them just yet. I have a few close friends that are running these and the reports I am getting are that these are working extremely well.

Let us know how you were treated by Fox, sometimes the service after the sale is more important then the sale itself!

Over-land 450r
01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
ok this is wat happend. i sent my shocks to fox, they fixed them in about 2 days and overnighted the from californa to New jersey for FRee. I think that is pretty damm good.

quadracer707
01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I just received mine & am waiting for my engine to get done to ride them, however Jason Dunkleburger lives right down the street from me & he just got back from Fla. with Dustin Wimmer, They rode all week long & said they were the best front shock he has ever ridden.He recommended to start PSI at 200 on the one & 20 on the other pump DO NOT OVER PUMP. Mr. Lee I saw you had problems with yours now that you got new ones keepinformed on how they are. I wont be able to ride for at least 1 week. Than out to Rausch Creek & to maybe see Pappy at Breezewood. Everyone keepthe updates coming & I can always ask Dunk if we cant figur out

Wade #707

Over-land 450r
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
thanks wade they look good. i havent rode them yet i hope this weekend. are you gona do D-6 this year again?? whatt Class? thanks for the input. ill let you know how they are. Do u still have the burguard LTs??

Later Rob

quadracer707
01-23-2007, 06:16 PM
thanks wade they look good. i havent rode them yet i hope this weekend. are you gona do D-6 this year again?? whatt Class? thanks for the input. ill let you know how they are. Do u still have the burguard LTs??

yea im going to do D-6 A class i think, but i'm racing B the first to races at atco you racing the first 2 at atco and i got new walsh a-arms

Over-land 450r
01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
ohh ill be in B for that and the rest of the year. ill be there think. later