PDA

View Full Version : 330 pro x top end . studs into water jacket ?

lee37vernon
01-16-2007, 07:53 AM
just about to fit my top end i got used , seen on web somewhere that the 2 lower exhaust and top middle bolt hole on inlet go into water jacket and require sealer and copper washers ? well i'm looking at mine now and i'll bet my life these dont on my cylinder ...

so is this a new/ old type thing or what . i was about to order up a bunch of o rings from a bearing place , but if i need this other stuff too ... :confused:

ChvyCruzen
01-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Where did you hear/read that?

My 310 is leaking antifreeze into motor and I suspect its a warped head. Haven't checked it out. I am interested to know about this though.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-16-2007, 09:00 AM
What you probably read.
Sometimes when mounting the pipe exhaust flange & a mounting bolt that is to long is used, it will screw into the hole, bottom out & if who evers tighting the bolt keeps on turning, it will bust through the casting into the coolant jacket.

When the new cast Pro-x cylinders are machined, those three holes are machined very shallow & wont be into the coolant jacket.

Sometimes what happens, if one of the aluminum exhaust flanges was used on the cylinder & then was replaced for some reason with one of the old stock type steel flanges that is thinner & while mounting & not thinking & the same long bolts used, those bolts can puncture through so easy you can hardly tell it, then you have the leak.

Appling some sealant in the hole & then on the threads of the bolt most time will prevent the coolant leak. Just allow the proper amount of time for the sealant to cure out, maybe a day or so before adding any coolant or running the engine.
Neil

elbine69
01-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ChvyCruzen
Where did you hear/read that?

My 310 is leaking antifreeze into motor and I suspect its a warped head. Haven't checked it out. I am interested to know about this though.

My 310 did that when I first got it. It turned out that the threads for the studs were stripped and didnt allow the head to be tightened down properly. I sent it to CT and bigger studs in it from a lt 500 and that cured the problem.

lee37vernon
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
i read it here ...

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2001/070301_esr_la_sleeve_pro_x_cylinder.htm

ChvyCruzen
01-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by elbine69
My 310 did that when I first got it. It turned out that the threads for the studs were stripped and didnt allow the head to be tightened down properly. I sent it to CT and bigger studs in it from a lt 500 and that cured the problem.

The threads on my head seem fine, they are tightening down. I just now realize that I forgot the bronze/copper washer that goes between head and nut. My head still mated properly to cylinder though.

lee37vernon
01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
that copper washer .. which i dont have .. is that just going under the acorn nut like a std washer would or are you putting it somewhere else , just i see CT's top end kit comes with them .

elbine69
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by lee37vernon
that copper washer .. which i dont have .. is that just going under the acorn nut like a std washer would or are you putting it somewhere else , just i see CT's top end kit comes with them .

yes

lee37vernon
01-17-2007, 01:46 AM
thanks elbine , presume its so theres something to torque against seeing as there is no headgasket to speak of ..

C-LEIGH RACING
01-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Those copper washers act as a seal between the cap nut & the head to prevent any coolant leaks, just like a copper head gasket.
Neil