PDA

View Full Version : Wife Not Happy!!!!

hdwrench
01-16-2007, 07:32 AM
My wife is not happy with the power of the dvx. Stock gearing stock exhaust. I rode it and it tends to have a rather low power area in the first to second gear range. In the dunes you either have to rev the crap out of it in 1st or lug second. I am going to pipe it, but was wondering about gearing. The wife is 110 lbs soaking wet. The issue is that once you get into to 2nd and hammer it the speeds are too fast for some of the duning with family. I know that a pipe will help but I was thinking that dropping a tooth on the front sprocket might be a better way to go?? ANY help would be great as when the wife aint happy no one is happy LOL

yellowzo3
01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
putting a smaller sprocket on the front will help acceleration and lessen top end. if you have stock tires you may not be getting any traction either. if you dont ride fast in the dunes i would recommend dropping the front sprocket a tooth and putting on a pipe, filter, and rejetting. that should give you some added power and let the engine breathe better. if you dune often you should look into a set of paddles or something with aggresive tread. keep in mind that even though the 400's have pretty good power for their engine size, theyre no 450 and even with a pipe and filter wont feel like one. so if you ride 450's the dvx may still seem slow. its a great bike though! hope this helps.

hdwrench
01-16-2007, 08:00 AM
WE have sand sharks on it now. SO traction was not a issue. ANd yes I know that it is no 450 but I still felt that the bike felt very ho hum over all for power unless you revved it to the limiter to get it to go and then under the low speed duning it was not very good either tapped out of lugging.

yellowzo3
01-16-2007, 09:26 AM
if nothing is mechanically wrong with it and the filter is clean and things like that then the pipe, filter, and smaller sprocket would help you out. if you want to keep up with 450's then you might just have to get an athena kit or something similar. if you dont want to do that you might be looking at upgrading to a 450 :ermm: ...but yes a sprocket will help some. make sure jetting is spot on and the filter is clean as this will also rob you of power!

drzoo2
01-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I would try someone elses Z the next time you ride and compare the two. If she thinks the DVX is a dog then see is used to going faster than me! After an air box mod, pipe and a little jetting it will wake it up.

Byte
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Invest in a good pipe, filter, air lid off and jetting. If that still dont do it. Sell it!

I think it would be fine. I basically have the basics and Im 200 lbs and my bike will pull my arms in every gear. 18" rears with a rev box too.

jonboy
01-16-2007, 01:41 PM
drz002 is right. The Z is very responsive to intake and exhaust mods. A high flow air filter like the K&N and removing the stock airbox lid will definately help. I strongly recomend using an ESR airbox lid being that you ride in sand alot. Rejetting it with removing the lid and filter will do wonders on responsiveness. A full aftermarket exhaust really wakes her up. My personal suggestion is a full yoshimura exhaust. They did a lot of R&D with suzuki on the z400 motor. Do your research and find out which one suits your wifes needs though. Going down a tooth in the front will help with the low speed lugging but, you will notice a little top end loss when high speed duning. You can Use a DRZ 400 dirt bike base gasket on it and it will bump up the compression enough to feel it in the lowend and midrange power. but if you do this I would recomend using the DRZ valves and springs. Also using the DRZ base gasket you may want to look into a rev box. Hope this gives you some ideas to start with.

hdwrench
01-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Thank you all for the info.

I ordered a HMF slip on, 13 tooth front. I have a K&N on it now I will pull the air box lid for riding here in the trails and put a sock on the filter. One thing I did find that was rather amusing was the rear rotor is bent over .070. SO I bought one of those as well. The rotor hangin up cannot help power that is for sure LOL We bought the bike with out a rear skid?? so I am sure it was tweaked when we got it. I have a few mains for the carb as well.

These mods should get the quad moving a bit better. My wife really does not ride that hard, ( I do ) so I think this will take care of it.

drzoo2
01-17-2007, 10:57 AM
You can't put the airbox lid on and off without rejetting. You WILL lose all top end. The air flow difference is HUGE without the cover. Once you jet for it on, you will be wayyyyyyy lean if you take it off. Stock Jet with cover is a 130. Without is 160.

z

hdwrench
01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I do understand that I have a lid much like the HRC lid so really all it does is stop big chunks of dirt from getting into the box.

drzoo2
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
That fine. What is the main jet? If it's jetted properly you won't be able to run it with the stock cover without rejetting down.

z

hdwrench
01-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I will be running a 140 or a 145 as I am putting the pipe on. We are at 6000 ft. That will be it to start.

drzoo2
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Ya, thats pretty high. I'm currently running a 160 @ 1400ft. Slip-on and open airbox. Got my header last night so I will be doing some jet changes.

z

Sandgod4
01-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by hdwrench
I will be running a 140 or a 145 as I am putting the pipe on. We are at 6000 ft. That will be it to start.

Your jetting will be spot on . We ran a 150 at 5000ft on our stock carb w/ same mods..