PDA

View Full Version : break in

alf44
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
what is the best way too break in my new 06 banshee?:)

John Pennella
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Let it warm up, and go for a ride varying the throttle a lot, down shift to slow the bike down, (this also suks out shavings in the chamber) and don't scream it too much you want the motor to work to seat the rings in good but you could bring the r's up every once in a while. You want to work the lower gears but don't lug the motor. Basically after doing this for an hour just teach the motor what it's got to do. Thats what i did with my first quad and it honestly runs better every day it seems for the past 5 years, and thats how I'm gonna break in the 400.
Now comes the funny part where everybody disagrees with every one on break in procedures.

alf44
01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Thats kind a what i thought. Ive just been taking it for short rides and letting it cool all the way down. I just want to have it ready for its first dune trip. Thanks

250exkid
01-26-2007, 04:31 PM
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU LUG THE MOTOR????:confused:

smoothie
01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
you foul plugs

250exkid
01-28-2007, 01:13 PM
wait then after the break in you start fouling plugs or just after you lug it?

smoothie
01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
if you sit there and puts around on it you will foul plugs like with an 2 stroke without oil injection. you have to keep the rpms up so all of the fuel gets burned or else it gets the plugs dirty and therefore fouls them out. if you do foul out the plugs it will be hard to start again if it even does. you can take the plugs out and burn them with a torch and clean with a wire brush, if you don't have a sand blaster type plug cleaner. good luck with your new quad, the legendary banshee :D

250exkid
01-28-2007, 03:26 PM
oooh i c no whats the scoop with 4 strokes? or basically the same?

smoothie
01-28-2007, 06:45 PM
breaking in a 4 stroke ? well basicly, ya. there are various way that people would recommend. what i did with my z400 my first 4stroke, I rode it gently through about 1.5 tanks and giving it a little bit here and there, not much at all though. then after that i just rode it how i planned on riding it for the rest of it's life in my hands. you want to take it easy on any brand new machine or freshly rebuilt motor. this allows the piston rings to seat properly within the cylinder, and it allows for the valves to create a good seal with their seats. some motors will have an interference angle ground into the valve seat. on such a valve job it is crucial to properly break in the motor.

so basicly for the first tank or two let the engine work itself in, then after that your set. and ofcoarse after that first thank or two change the oil in the engine(pertaining to 4strokes)